You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Grief and Loss  Empty Grief and Loss Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:58 pm

Gin

Gin

Retired
Hello everyone,

As those of you who read the announcement in the Discord already know, we have lost a valued member of our community. Jean-Marc (Bokuden) passed away yesterday morning after several complications involving cancer. His knew how much time he dedicated to this site and has asked me to gather people's thoughts on him. If you have anything to say or if you want to say goodbye, please do so here. Needless to say, please be respectful.

2Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:03 pm

Jet

Jet

D-rank
Gonna repost what I wrote in discord as it best sums up my feelings

Jean was always someone I looked up to like a big brother figure. He helped me with depression, talked with me when things were hard, gave me advice and hope for the future, sometimes helped with school, relationships, life or just goofin around. We butt heads sometimes that had us screaming but i could never get mad at him for long. A lot of who I am is because of how he helped me for years. All the shit he has been dealing with and how he handeled it made me think nothing would ever happen. I'd eventually would meet up with irl, joke about our city, finally make him that suit i promised him years ago for when he goes into politics, mess up the pronounication of his name, and just be friends. Im starting to process all of this and i feel like i lost a family member, someone who i can really call family. I will miss him and he will always be in my heart.

Goodbye Jean and thank you

3Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:23 pm

Kisei

Kisei

B-rank
Jean was, to me, an imposing figure, who made me want to do better. Our interactions were limited and I never got to know him very closely. But I looked up to him, how active he was with the site, how cheerfully he directed everyone, it was nothing short of inspiring. While I never got to connect with him as deeply as other have, I will remember Jean, always.

4Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Midorii

Midorii

D-rank
I will admit, I don't know much about Jean personally. But around the site, he's always been shown to do what he thinks was best, and worked hard. I had no idea in the slightest that he had any difficulties, and the fact that he came across as so strong willed despite those health issues are a testament to how much determination he had.

In what few conversations I had with him, he was light hearted, and had good intentions with every word. I'm sorry to hear that he has passed, and my condolences go out to his loved ones and close friends. May he rest well and find peace.

5Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:41 pm

Orochi Risu

Orochi Risu

S-rank
A former mentor, a stern teacher and a listening ear. A stubborn and strict personality, but that's what made him who he was. Jean was Jean, there was and will be no other.

6Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Akito Miku

Akito Miku

D-rank
Jean may have been strict, at times even scary. However at the same time I felt like he was always fair and at times he would even be playful. He worked hard and he worked fast, he was always helpful to me whenever i had any questions. I do not know if i ever game him the respect he deserved, but I will miss him.

Farewell...

7Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:05 pm

Uchiha Teru

Uchiha Teru

D-rank
There were not a lot of times when I got to interact with Jean, but the times I did get to were pretty dang awesome. He's an awesome person with qualities not shared by a lot of people. It's gonna be weird knowing he's not around to have fun with the lot of us at Saga. I know he worked hard for this site, so let's not let those efforts go to waste.

Bokuden, Jean... I'm glad I've had some time to get to know you a little better. I'll miss you!

8Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:10 pm

Otter Aiden

Otter Aiden

D-rank
I never really got along with Jean, and I know for a fact that the entire reason why was because of my temper and general irrational disagreements with him. I don't even recall the last time he actually spoke to me directly even, though I know for a fact that it has been a few years. That being said, I never disliked Jean, and even though we never got along, I respected him for the individual he had always been. From what I've seen and experienced, Jean has always been a person that truly cared about others. While he wasn't the type to come out right away and say it, his actions spoke volumes on how great of a person he truly was. I regret never being able to apologize for my immaturity to Jean, especially now that he's gone, though I don't regret meeting someone that was as willing to help others as him. Jean is exactly what a person should aspire to be, and he is definitely a role model to me.

9Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:27 pm

Maigo

Maigo

D-rank
Jean was a good guy, it's such an understatement of who he was since it's so hard to put into words a life and especially one as his but I got to know him a bit differently than most people, at least as far as the site goes since we rarely had the urge to talk of the site itself (a few exceptions here and there of course). Instead, when we'd chat it would always be something else entirely like politics, economics, sports, life itself and how to approach it, or even just generally going back and forth with a heavy degree of sarcasm and chaos. They were always great chats though, the sort that let you just think about things and dig a bit deeper into life. I doubt he thought anything of half those conversations but it was great to get a chance to talk to someone from Saga about anything but Saga. I won't say anything about his stubbornness or how much of a leader he was but rather the man who was so much more than his exterior. He was an incredibly intelligent and kind man who backed up so many people on site and had zero tolerance for the behaviors that alienated and hurt other members of the site. It was a true indication at the core of who he was, underneath the tough shell he so elaborately constructed, he was there for anyone and everyone who joined saga and would have done anything to guarantee their safety, comfort, and enjoyment while they're here. Saga has absolutely lost a legend but we've all lost a dear friend. To you Jean, we'll see each other again one of these days and I can tell you all about how my hometown Astros beat your Yankees in the playoffs, or maybe we can just catch up instead when the time comes. Rest in peace man,

-Chris

10Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:01 am

Aozame

Aozame

D-rank
I didn't end up knowing Jean all too well, we had a few passing hello's and slight interaction here and there, but he always stood out to me. I admired him in a way that made me always want to try just a bit harder in what I was doing, and I know saga has lost one of the people who made it what it was, but I know he won't be forgotten.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to know you better Jean, rest easy, we'll see you again.

11Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:51 am

Mitsuo

Mitsuo

S-rank
Putting this into words is something that I was hoping I wouldn't have to do, at least not in this situation. Jean and I joined this site at the same time. We progressed through the site in a similar fashion, became staff at around the same time, and got along fairly well, working together quite often in those days. While he and I didn't always see eye to eye on many subjects that would be brought through staff, we always worked hard to come to the conclusion that would best benefit everyone on the site. When I was promoted to global moderator, the only section I never modded was items, for I knew that I paled in comparison to him as an item moderator, and to this day I still hold strong to the fact that he was the best item mod this site has ever seen.

While a few of us ran the Namahage festival the first time it was run on the site, I remember the most active person in it was Jean. He worked ro complete everything in it and his enthusiasm was exhilarating. It was amazing to see someone put so much time and care into this event, and I remember he made me proud of the work we had done more than any other.

After I had left the site for an extended period due to a personal tragedy, upon my return he and I spoke about how I wished to return to staff and help out the site, seeing the hard work he was putting into it and wanting to be a part of that once more. He and I spoke as though no time had passed, and I felt as though we had started up exactly where we had left off, with mutual respect. He gave me the privilege and honour of being an administrator and helping to shape his vision into reality fir this site, and it deeply saddens me that he will not be here to see the fruits of that labour of love. He loved every single member of this site, never wishing anyone would leave or even firing absent staff members as he wanted to ensure that they would still be happy.

Jean left a positive footprint on this earth, and touched the life of everyone who stopped through this site with his devotion and creativity. The world is truly darkened with his passing, and my life forever will be a little darker having lost a good friend. I will carry on and keep him close to my heart always, never truly allowing that light to he extinguished.

12Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:08 am

Kizashi

Kizashi

D-rank
There are many things I'd like to say, but can't exactly find the words.

Jean was a good friend, even though I'd left on a hiatus for some time he didn't let it affect how we talked to each other. He didn't even act like we'd skipped a beat, though we'd skipped many. He was a kind soul who did everything he could for his community, his friends, and his fellow staff members. Above everything it felt like he valued the respect he believed we should give each other. I don't have any real bad memories with Jean and I wish I'd had the time to make more than what I have. I'm not good at these sorts of things, but I will miss you Jean. You're a great friend and I wish you well in your journey on the other side of life's veil.

Be forever in peace,
Gerald.

13Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:24 am

Zinan

Zinan

D-rank
I'm at a loss for words. When I came back to this site, Jean was one of the first people to welcome me back. He took interest in writing together and getting to know me as a person almost instantly. He was a great person and will be sorely missed.

-Lucas

14Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:43 am

Kiriya

Kiriya

D-rank
To be honest I don't think I've had any interaction with Jean. But on the other hand, when I see the amazing site he has built, of course with the help of others, I can't feel anything less than respect for him. I sincerely hope he is in a better place now.

-George

15Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Sayuri

Sayuri

D-rank
When I first came to Saga (a mere 9 months ago), I was terrified. I’m not big on meeting new people, and being in that horribly awkward situation of having to make conversation and not knowing at all what to say. The idea of even writing my first (of many) character apps left me in a cold sweat. I’m ridiculously shy to put it mildly. It did not take very long to make friends here, and eventually grow comfortable with the idea that I wasn’t being judged for everything I did.

The first interaction I had with Jean was via pm. I remember being so concerned with how that pm was worded. I had seen him a couple of times in the chat box, and while I didn’t speak to him I definitely paid attention to how others did. It is a rare thing to come across a person who with their very presence can end an argument. At first this left me intimidated by him, and also strangely determined to do better. I was then privileged to see the lighter side of Jean when he decided to become ‘Definitely Not Bokuden’. (A joke I truly didn’t understand until I began playing League of Legends with him much later). It was after that time that my feelings of trepidation faded and were replaced with respect and admiration. It had both surprised me and delighted me that someone could be that dedicated and at times stern, and also light hearted and . . . well . . . comedic.

A few months after I joined, I began heading through a dark time in my life. And Jean noticed. More than that though, he went out of his way to try to help. We spent a lot of time talking, more often than not about plans for the future. Not just with Saga, but in our personal lives. He wanted to go into politics, I wanted to be a superhero. Those conversations I will always treasure as they helped me sift through all of the nonsense going on in my head and find the truth of the matter at hand. I remember once thanking him, for taking the time to talk with me. Especially about something that had nothing to do with Saga. He told me that it was no trouble at all. He thought of all of Saga’s members as his ‘children’, and when something was wrong with any of them he tried to make it right.

That was the most amazing thing to me about Jean; no matter what was going on, he took the time to try to make the world a better place. He was hard working, fair and had the biggest heart of nearly anyone I’ve met.

So goodbye Bokudad, you were amazing and inspiring. I don’t know when the pain from the loss of you will ease in my heart, but I want you to know that you helped make me a better, braver person. I will miss you so very much, our talks about parachuting and baseball, politics and Saga. You left Saga a better place than how you found it, just like you wished for.

Be at peace.

~Little Sheep

16Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:16 pm

Kaguya Machi

Kaguya Machi

D-rank
I met Jean a few times, and he helped me out tremendously. I hope that his funeral was the celebration of the great life he had, and of the great man he had been. Truly, it is a sad day when some of the greats go, but we must all remember to celebrate their life as well as remember them fondly once they have finally passed on. I hope he finds paradise on the other side he deserves it.

17Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Hadeosuke

Hadeosuke

D-rank
I am new to this forum and don't know a single soul here. However, I would like to pay my condolences to everyone else on the forum that got to know him. Read bits and pieces and it sounded like he was a great guy. Requiescat en pace.

18Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:05 pm

Lin

Lin

D-rank
I will miss him and my condolences to his family. We had good times and he was one of my best friends on this site. I don't know how to express how shocked and upset I am at his passing. Hope you all are well, and you can PM me anytime if you need a person to talk to about this or commiserate with, as I am grieving too. (wet shoulders don't bother me :) )

19Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:26 pm

Tame

Tame

D-rank
We do the most we can with what time we have. He was no exception.

I knew Jean-Marc well enough that he always had the best of intentions, and he gave his utmost every day I saw him about. However, I will not attempt to describe the ineffable - an attempt with words isn't sufficient to get the thing I'm feeling across.

Though a paltry substitute, in its place are my condolences.

20Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:34 am

Sutaka

Sutaka

D-rank
I often see myself as emotionless and don't really think much about loss, but when I heard this news I have to say I was speechless. Jean, for me, was always a threatening character. I didn't get to know the real him and always saw him as a mean-spirited person, even though that wasn't who he truly was. This being said, everything Jean did on Saga was for the benefit of the whole site. Everyone has their own opinion of him, but he still led the site in a way that I couldn't believe. I really do wish I could talk to him again as something other than member and owner.

My deepest condolences,
Drake

21Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Mikage

Mikage

D-rank
To me, Jean-Marc was the older brother I never had. He was the first person that reached out to me when I first joined this site in the summer after I graduated from high school. He encouraged me when I doubted my writing skills, pushed me in areas of leadership, and watched over me both in and out of the site. He talked me through my anxieties as I entered post-secondary, listened to my rants as I stressed through school ... up until the moment I graduated with my four-year degree. To me, he's not just some person I talked to about a writing site. He's somehow who told me that he was proud of me when I graduated, reminisced with me about the conversation we had on my first day of University. As I got older, and life got busier, we stopped talking as frequently, but always - no matter what - if I needed him for even just a random, casual chat, he would be there.

Our conversations ... He might've jokingly threatened me a couple times about releasing our silly conversations. He was uncaring, or even almost proud, that he held quite an unapproachable, intimidating image on the site. But our conversations would involve bunnies, Disney, dogs, food ... silly snaps of our own lives, meaninglessly meaningful conversations that never died. We had professional conversations, conversations revolving around site matters, conversations that would sometimes leave us at odds with each other. We also had more serious conversations. Thoughts for our respective futures. Conversations about family and loved ones. Our mutual dislike of hospitals, bound by our shared connection that was cancer. It touched both of us at a young age, and although a detestable connection it was, we were able to relate to each other.

Now, as I write this, I'm finding that it's hard to express more with words. I'll miss him, just as many will, and I express my heartfelt condolences to his friends and family. He always put himself aside so that others wouldn't worry, and at the same time, he'd welcome our troubles with open arms. My deepest wish is that he is now free from any pain and suffering. Jean-Marc, I hope you're at peace now.

- Jaycee

22Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:31 pm

Rokumaru

Rokumaru

D-rank
Never have I spoken to Bokuden beyond a few questions regarding the site, but both his work ethic and the community he managed to help bring together are two things I admire very much about the man. He's obviously made an impact on so many lives and I regret not having pursued any conversation or acquaintanceship with him. My condolences to you all and to his family

23Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Zu

Zu

D-rank
Wow this is saddening to hear. I have been MIA for a little while. I hope he may Rest In Peace. Jean and I butted heads more often than not, But I still respected him because he was a voice of reason and logic. He ran the site better than anyone I've seen. Anyways, rest well man, you won't be forgotten.

24Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Inuzuka Yui

Inuzuka Yui

D-rank
I have been away for some time but this is absolutely heartbreaking to me... last time I talked to him on discord he said I will talk to you tomorrow and when he never did I figured it was because of his treatment. I... I am actually crying really hard right now as I have not told everyone but I was going through this same thing but mine has gone into remission, the only one that really knew was Jean and he helped me through some very difficult times. When I wanted to give up on life he was always so very helpful and when I was in so much pain I wanted to end my life he encouraged me to keep trying. Jean was a great man and I will deeply miss him, I hope people realize just how good of a guy he was.

25Grief and Loss  Empty Re: Grief and Loss Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:40 am

Raiu Mizuki

Raiu Mizuki

Retired
Logging in just for this post as I caught wind of it. I'm sorry for your loss. To the site and whoever he left behind, I wish you all strength.

I don't know Jean well in the brief period I've been around but what was apparent was the time he spent modding and working in and on the site. It was clear he cared a great deal about it, attempting to improve upon its system time and time again.
Even if my stay was short and despite his personal problems, he bothered to lend a pair of ears to the sorrows of another. There are few people like him around, who put the needs of others in front of his own where possible.

I hope wherever his soul may travel to, that he finds a peaceful rest.

~ RBS

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.