C-rank
d

Last edited by Hina on Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:34 pm; edited 3 times in total

2[OPEN!] An Old Man Empty Re: [OPEN!] An Old Man Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:17 am

Takao

Takao

S-rank
[OPEN!] An Old Man D6ehE4O

He knew the Hidden Leaf's streets best, better than stuffy offices, better than meeting rooms filled with stingy nobles trying to get the best shinobi to work for the cheapest prices. The streets were raw, unfiltered compared to the façade of cordiality that politics wore like a mask, and he partook in the former whenever possible. They were, after all, the meat of what it was he wanted to protect.

More often than not, it was uninteresting. Strolls throughout the village that lead into small-talk he cared little for but engaged in all the same, if only to keep up with familiar faces, those interactions dominated the typical soirée on the village. But, on rare occasions, he was graced with a treat. Truly, they were seldom, but he savoured the excitement of altercations at any level, triggering some primal desire to observe drama from a distance.

This time around, it was a unique scenario. An elderly villager had been accused of 'being a creep'. He hardly considered it an offense, but as his trained ears picked up on more of the conversation, it revealed new facets of the equation. The accusations went beyond that of merely being unpleasant, and instead laid claim to the idea that he had been practicing techniques on children. He had half a mind to step in and see what the commotion was about, but his opportunity to do so was seized by another; a young girl, or so she seemed to be. She helped the elderly man to his feet and walked him away from his accusers, bombarding him with a line of questioning that he answered in stride. Takao lingered, not too close that he would be spotted and not too far that he would strain himself to overhear. Eventually, she would send the man on his way, and Takao was interested enough to approach.

"Don't you think you let him off a little easy?" Takao said, the deep resonance in his voice carried effortlessly over other sounds. Donning the traditional garb of a Hidden Leaf Jōnin, his six-foot-three frame towered over the girl nearly a foot shorter than he, black eyes cold like lumps of coal fixated on her. His monotonous voice, matching the blasé expression built upon his features, would continue right after.

"Using jutsu on children-- That's a pretty serious accusation, isn't it?"

TOTAL WC

3[OPEN!] An Old Man Empty re Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Hina

Hina

C-rank
d

4[OPEN!] An Old Man Empty Re: [OPEN!] An Old Man Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:51 pm

Takao

Takao

S-rank

On occasion, and rarely did he display it openly, Takao liked to act playfully with the shinobi of the village. His demeanor, cold, stoic, and resolute austere made it the perfect 'bait and switch' tactic. He had found that, more often than not, it was a great way to break the ice with new faces. Making himself difficult to read was an added benefit as well, at least for those he dubbed to be more acquaintances at first rather than trusted friends. This was one of such occasions.

He noted her nervousness without so much as a twitch in expression of his own, nearly stumbling over but catching herself at the last minute. She stood, straight in posture but her gaze wavered, settling on the ground, refusing to return the eye contact he threatened. Then, her lips parted, and she began to speak, and he let her do so, remaining wholly quiet for the duration of her explanation, but never once letting his gaze wander from her form. When she finished, he allowed a brief, fleeting few seconds of silence to overtake them, ensuring that there was nothing more left to follow before he spoke.

"Right." He began, tone stern, deep voice resonating in his chest. His hand rose from its leisurely spot in his pocket and hovered over her head.

"It sounds like you did the right thing then." He admitted, believing the tale she spun to be true. His hand dropped, lightly, onto the top of her head, patting it in an attempt at reassurance.

Had he the desire to, he could have used the Eye of Cinder to watch the slightest changes of temperature in her body, but with how nervous she seemed to be and given the nature of the situation, he thought it best to forgo the traditional methods of interrogation. It might have been just a bit inappropriate, and on top of that, the Eye of Cinder was far too intrusive to justify.

"Well done." He said as his hand lifted from her head and tucked itself back away in the pockets of his shinobi slacks.

"My name is Takao. You are?" Introducing himself first, as was the polite and 'proper' thing to do, Takao decided to use the opportunity to springboard into a conversation.

TOTAL WC
+380

5[OPEN!] An Old Man Empty Re: [OPEN!] An Old Man Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:13 pm

Hina

Hina

C-rank
d

6[OPEN!] An Old Man Empty Re: [OPEN!] An Old Man Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Takao

Takao

S-rank

Hand retreated, Takao's gaze finally broke, and he cast a sweeping gaze around. Habitual, not necessarily practical, and ultimately it settled back onto Hina, still piercing and cold, accentuated by the perfectly neutral expression swept across his visage. His posture straightened and fell into a practiced, drilled militant stance, sans the hands dug deep into his pockets. She introduced herself, he listened, and when she finished, he bobbed his head back and forth, nodding sluggishly.

"You have good judgment for a genin," He mused aloud, uttering the compliment in his usual monotone. Next, she inquired about his purpose in being out, and his expression melted into comical 'disgust', not so much at her nor the question, but rather the realization of what it was that had brought him here, and what it was that he would eventually, albeit reluctantly, have to return to.

"I've been stuck in that office all day." He admitted.

"Makes me feel like a... bird trapped in a cage, you know? So, every chance I get, I leave and enjoy the village."

She asked if they might spend some time together and Takao, thinking nothing more of the inquiry he deemed innocent from the start, nodded.

"Sure. Slacking off of work is always a lot more enjoyable with company." He said, offering her a warm, albeit lopsided smile, contrasting heavily against the until-now clinically cold mien.

The line of questioning she thrust his way ended, perhaps only temporarily, by inquiring about what it was 'like' to be Hokage. He could go on and on about the pointless squabbles he solved, the frustration of listening to people that believed so unconditionally that they were correct despite not being so, how the mountainous paperwork was soul-crushing even with the utilization of clones which, in reality, only multiplied the unnerving sensation of tedious repetition that he despised. He mused, and opted to not answer as truthfully as he could have. They were not her troubles, thus he would not subject her to them.

"It's a big responsibility. Unfortunately, I don't get to go on many adventures anymore. My duty is to protect the village, which I can't necessarily do if I'm not near it, mm?" He said, his smile fading back into resting neutrality. "But I've had more than my share of them."

Clearing his throat, he gestured with his hand down the road, still quite full of people going about their lives.

"Walk with me?" He suggested, taking a few steps forward, waiting for her to follow suit or respond before continuing. Regardless, he would continue his end of the conversation.

"How has your time as a genin been treating you? Are you looking to rank up at all?"

TOTAL WC
+460

7[OPEN!] An Old Man Empty Re: [OPEN!] An Old Man Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Hina

Hina

C-rank
d

8[OPEN!] An Old Man Empty Re: [OPEN!] An Old Man Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:33 pm

Takao

Takao

S-rank

Each step Takao took was heavy, and his boots hit the ground with a thud, creating a monotonous symphony of a march. He had no destination in mind but did not make such clear; even as he wandered aimlessly, the way he carried himself made it seem as though each step taken was done so with purpose. Noting both her penchant to wander closer as well as her hesitation to walk beside him, his progress would halt or slow if she started to fall a step or two behind, making his intention of her walking at his side clear.

"That's good," He responded.

"At a glance, I can tell that you have the judgment for it, and perhaps the temperament as well. You'll get there in no time." He nodded, voicing his observations thus far, though they were far from thorough or complete. Merely, as he had just said, 'at a glance'.

"Making friends is important as well. Boiled down, that's what being a shinobi is about. Protecting the people you love. You fight the hardest and endure the most when it's for others." Imparting an unprovoked nugget of wisdom, he mused that perhaps not everybody followed such a belief, but he surely did.

Hina inquired about alternatives to the classic 'combat' oriented shinobi, and his cold exterior cracked for a moment, allowing a warm smile to wash over his features.

"Of course there is." Takao said. He stopped walking and turned to face her.

"There isn't just a 'place' for them. The shinobi world can't function without them. Medical Shinobi, researchers, intelligence agents, investigators and detectives, academy teachers, maintenance workers, innovators, even shinobi specialized for recreational things or shinobi that fight natural disasters. They're the corner stones of the village. Shinobi that fight are abundant, surely, but not every waking hour of their lives are dedicated to the defense of the village, because the village isn't under constant attack." Takao explained.

"Shinobi that fall under a different category than combat are the ones keep the village running. My mother and sister, for instance, are both medical shinobi. My mother is the Director of Konoha General, and my sister is a Toxicologist and Pharmacist. Day to day, they do more to protect the village than I do, you know?" He admitted, singing their praises. Everybody played their role, it was merely at different points in time and during certain scenarios that they found themselves most useful.

"What are you interested in? If you don't mind me asking, that is." He asked.

TOTAL WC
+430

9[OPEN!] An Old Man Empty Re: [OPEN!] An Old Man Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Hina

Hina

C-rank
d

Last edited by Hina on Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:33 pm; edited 3 times in total

10[OPEN!] An Old Man Empty Re: [OPEN!] An Old Man Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:13 am

Takao

Takao

S-rank

Takao mulled over what Hina said interested her. Genjutsu, his weakest area and most despised facet of the shinobi world, yet an invaluable tool when wielded by the right mind. The Hidden Leaf had only just begun to tap into such things, urging his response.

"Konoha General recently started a new therapy project using genjutsu," Takao explained, his gaze unwaveringly set on Hina.

"Delving into the minds of the tortured and providing them with a desperate sense of relief. It's a very noble endeavour. More-over, they're still exploring practical applications for genjutsu in medicine. Placebo studies are a part of it, but it's mainly centered around mental disease, especially post-traumatic disorders for combat-centric military." Explaining in as much detail as he could, perhaps saying too much without saying enough even, Takao did his best to reassure her that her specialty and preference undoubtedly had a growing place in the village.

A faint, lopsided smile grew upon his features as she admitted her motivation and smiled. Whenever the daunting task of his responsibilities grew to the point of being unbearable, situations like these would arise where he was given reason for why it was worth it. His hand rose, he gave Hina another pat on the head.

"I'm happy to help. I'd look into helping out at the hospital if I were you. Even if it isn't something you want to get directly involved with later on, there's a lot you could still learn from the experience." Takao added. He could tell that she was eager to get started, and the faint smile warmed considerably, showing in the folds of his eyes.

"I'll let you get started then. If you need anything, I trust you'll know where to find me." Taking a pair of steps back after his hand retreated from her head, both extremities dug deep into his pockets.

"Until next time!" He said as plumes of orange flame mixed with wisps of blue and violet built at his feet, erupting around him only a second later, enveloping him in his entirety. As they faded, only a faint trail of smoke was visible, and Takao had disappeared, his body flicker having taken him back in the direction of the Administration Building.

[ THREAD EXITED ]

TOTAL WC
+380

11[OPEN!] An Old Man Empty Re: [OPEN!] An Old Man Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Hina

Hina

C-rank
d

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.