You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 1 of 1]

Niala

Niala

D-rank

If it wasn’t for my amazing family you’re absolutely right that’s what I’d do.

She wasn’t entirely sure where the thought came from, but there it was nonetheless: her brother had definitely hit the nail on the head. If things were slightly different, if her family were not the amazing and loving people that they were, she probably would have moved right on in to the library without a second thought. There were a multitude of littles nooks and crannies, closets and small rooms that went empty and unused all the time. In fact, she could imagine making herself quite the comfortable place there if she truly wanted to. But, she didn’t, because she couldn’t stand the idea of being away from her family - it was one of the reasons after all that she never bothered moving out on her own even though both her and her twin were now considered adults under the eyes of the law and could easily make enough money to support themselves on missions alone. But no, it was an idea, a fantasy, that she would never try and reach for even though it crossed her mind from time to time.

Such a delicious meal. This is another reason I never think of moving out.

Niala was more than capable of cooking - in fact it was a pastime her and her mother often did quite a lot together when her mother was off from the hospital. It was also a task that Niala did on her own on the night’s her mother stayed late so that she could be sure her brother, father, and mother would come home to a hot and delicious meal on the table. She didn’t mind in the slightest, in fact she rather enjoyed it. However, no matter how well she followed her mother’s recipes, no matter how many times she measured multiple times to ensure the amount of ingredients were correct, she never quite got the food - in her opinion at least - to taste quite as good as their mother’s did. On the numerous occasions she had brought this tidbit of information up to their mother Hanae had simply laughed and told her she was imagining things, often saying that Niala’s own cooking was equal to her own and would likely one day become superior. Niala didn’t buy it, as she knew what her own food was lacking: a mother’s love.

I never understood it when I was younger, but now I do.

The hug from their father before sitting down was returned just the same, a smile forming across her face almost instantly. It was a routine, one she remembered from as long back as she could think of. It was something she didn’t understand the hidden reasoning behind when she was younger, but something that she now did given she too was a shinobi. It was an act of love, a lasting reminder that would be there in case anything bad were to happen. This hug however came with an extra squeeze: he too had been worried apparently when she hadn’t come home in time - though Genki hid his concerns far more than Hanae did.

So, with her bowl of rice and plate of broccoli and beef in front of her she felt her stomach growl once more as she picked up her eating utensils. A piece of broccoli and a bit of beef were picked up and plopped as politely as possible in her mouth, chewed and swallowed, before being followed by a bit of rice. “I might even go back for thirds…”, Niala commented, pausing between bites of food in response to her brother’s comment and their parents chuckling. There was definitely no need for them to worry tonight: she had no intentions of eating like a bird.

I’m starving and this food is so good.

Niala became completely silent as she ate, focused on getting the food in her mouth in as mannerly a way as possible, but as quickly as possible. Even as she did she didn’t miss the worried glance thrown her way by Hanae, or the way that Genki looked over at her as well: she could only assume that the pair had been having a conversation about her before her and her brother came home. Yet, even still she didn’t ask, figuring they would tell her what was wrong in their own time, and she wouldn’t have to wait long before her father spoke up, “Niala, how are you coming along with your puppet? I haven’t seen you working on it in a while… Is something the matter?”

Niala found herself pausing in mid bite, blinking several times before lowering the food back down to her plate that had almost been to her mouth and turning her gaze onto their father. “Oh… no. Nothing’s wrong! I’m just waiting for more of the metal I need for my puppets claws.”, she explained with a smile before picking up some more beef and brocolli and taking a bite while keeping her blue hues on Genki. She watched as their father relaxed immediately - clearly he had been worried she had lost interest in her puppet altogether with how immersed she had been lately at the library- before turning his gaze onto Kensaku. “And what about you, son? How’s yours coming along?”, Genki inquired, leaving Niala to continue eating in peace.

Word Count: 940

Kensaku

Kensaku

D-rank
Although he tried not to overthink about why their father would hug them before going to work and when he came home, Kensaku mind wandered anyway. During the younger years, he did not think about the gesture performed by Genki, their father, at all. No questions were asked to either parent about the significance of the gesture. A younger Kensaku only saw it as something all parents did with their children. It being a routine of sorts, showcasing the love they had for their children. Vividly, he remembers the few times where he did not want to be hugged by the man, either because of a dispute he had prior, his anger at his father still be present, or he simply was too tired to wake up to entertain the thought. During all of those times, no once did Genki get mad. His father only waited until the next opportune moment to hug him; something Kensaku returned after having got over his funk.

It was only sometime later own, around the age of eleven, when Kensaku asked his mother why their father always hugged him and Niala. The look within Hanae’s eyes will forever be stuck with him as he recalled what she said. She spoke of the trouble and terrors which their father, her husband, faced on a daily basis to secure peace for those who he cherished. She spoke vaguely about what he had sacrificed to make sure his small piece of ‘heaven,’ his family, was safe and sound every night. She did not go into detail on what their father experience on a daily basis, on what he does to ensure their safety, but, she did mention how the hugs is what kept him grounded; keeping him from becoming the monsters he hunted on a daily basis. At the time, he did not know what she meant by those words. Only during the later years at the academy, when they were talking about the duties of some shinobis, did Kensaku got an inclination of what his mother was talking about. However, it was doing the destruction of Suna, and the horror that brought, when he finally understood what his father did.

During the escape from the village, a group of rogue nin tried to kill them, wanting to rob them of their possession, among other unsavory things. His father did not stand for such words, and attack them with a vicious which startled Kensaku. As each man was cut down without discrimination, Kensaku witnessed a side of his father he never saw before. After the aftermath, Kensaku was scared, only with an encouraging nudge from his mother, did he hugged his father who, for the briefest of moments, looked older than he was. It was that moment where he finally understood what his father went through, and from that moment, the respect he had for the man increased.

Musing was cut short, his eyes flickering towards his twin as she commented maybe even getting thirds, “You getting thirds? I would be surprised.”, He jest. He could barely remember the last time he saw his twin eat more than a single plate of food. She was always the one who only ate so little. It was no wonder why she was so tiny! Picking up the utensil, he looked down at the steaming bowl of broccoli and beef, the delicious aroma almost causing his mouth to water. The aroma caused his stomach to growl quite loudly which got a smirk from his father, “Eat son.”, and that what Kensaku did, taking a piece of beef and broccoli in his mouth, savoring the taste.

Unlike his sister, Kensaku had no problem in getting another serving or two or three. He truly ate a lot of food, but, from what his father said, it comes from his side of the family; the men and women on his side being heavy eaters for whatever reason. So, it was not surprising that Kensaku had finished off one bowl of food, and had plopped down with a second bowl of steamy goodness. Though eating his food, Kensaku did not miss the looks both parents were throwing towards his twin, and it got him curious. What was wrong? Why were they throwing worried glances towards her?

He did not ask what was wrong, figuring the unanswered question will be answered soon enough. And sure enough, his parents asked Niala how her puppet was coming along, mentioning how they have not seen her working on it. Now that he thought about it, Kensaku has not seen his twin’s puppet either, and he was also curious about how it was coming along. No sooner after she had answered, the question was proposed to him. Setting down his utensils, Kensaku focused his attention on his parents, “I am in similar position as Niala, I am waiting for a few more parts to come in. I have some ideas for exploding bombs in the shape of the puppet’s head. They would be hidden within a chest-like cavity, but I could not figure out how to do that, so I went with a more simple design.”, He spoke, getting a nod from both parents. “If you need any help, do not be afraid to ask.”, Genki said, looking at both of his children. Kensaku nodded in understanding as a comfortable silence descended upon the family.

It being broken when Genki spoke, “So, do you have any plans for tomorrow?”, He asked, referring to their shinobi career. Because they were still somewhat new to Iwa, there was a probation period for them that ended tomorrow. So, the twins were able to finally go on missions. Looking up from his food, Kensaku spoke, “Thought about doing missions with Niala, if she is up for it.”, he asked, looking at his twin for confirmation.

Niala

Niala

D-rank

I really do hope I get those parts soon. I feel almost vulnerable in a way without my puppet - more so than usual.

Niala was quite used to going around without a weapon - or rather, without more than the single kunai and six senbon that she used more as a medic than for any sort of combat purposes - yet now that they were in a strange and new place it bothered her more so than usual. When they were still living in Sunagakure Niala got by simply because of how many people they knew coupled with the fact that she knew what places to avoid. The difference in her safety was as simple as taking one street compared to another after a certain time at night. It was how she had got by when wandering alone. Yet, she didn’t have that knowledge here, nor the kinds of connections once had back home. Even though they had been in Iwagakure for a little while there was still much of the village that was unfamiliar to the female. She didn’t have a running mental tally of who to avoid and who would help. She didn’t have the mental list of people she could turn to should something happen or go down. It was just her, her twin, and their mother and father. Of course, she hoped to fix this one day, to gain the same kinds of connections and knowledge she once had in Sunagakure, but that was something that would take time and patience, and she was a realist above everything.

So the idea of not having her puppet, the idea of her brother not having his, bothered her slightly. Yet, she knew it was something that couldn’t be helped - special pieces, special designs, they took time to make as well as a lot of money. Being a puppeteer was about patience above all else, a lesson their father often instilled in them but which Niala had only really taken to heart recently as she had begun her own endeavors into making her own puppet. It was, after all, one thing to practice with one of their father’s old puppets from his time as a Genin or Chuunin, and something entirely different to be making their own that was one hundred percent unique to their natures and way of doing things.

Doing some missions? That’s exactly what I was hoping to get started with, too.

Niala ate in silence as she listened to their father and her brother speak, unsurprised that they were both in the same situation. As soon as she finished with her bowl of rice and the plate of beef and broccoli she got herself more just as she had assumed she would be hungry enough to do. As she returned to the table with her plate and bowl in hand, the food steaming and still nice and hot, she found herself avoiding looking at the pleased smile on Hanae’s face, knowing that her mother was more than happy to see her eating more than usual. She noticed even Genki looking towards her, also looking quite pleased, but she simply kept her focus on the food in front of her as she brought a bite of rice to her mouth, chewed, and then swallowed her food in her usual manner-filled silence.

In fact, it wouldn't be until her brother turned his attention onto her, speaking to her about his plans for tomorrow before she would pause - already halfway down with her second plate - and glance over to him with a nod and a smile. “I think that sounds like a great idea. I have a general idea of where I’d like to go with my puppet, and it’s going to require a lot of funding to get there. The more missions we run the faster I’ll get it completed. Plus, I feel like it’ll make us look good in the eyes of the village, making it easier to acclimate ourselves here. I want people to know that we can be relied upon should something occur.” They were truthful words, and exactly how she was feeling. She wanted to establish a reputation for herself as someone the village could rely on: the same as she had begun to do back home. Not only did she believe it would make them living here easier, but it would pay off in the long run - even if that long run was years from now when they had risen up a bit through the ranks.

A father’s wisdom is something you should listen to.

It was her father’s chuckle and nod of approval that caused her blue hues to shift from her twin and onto him, finding him looking at her with an approving smile on his face. “That’s a very good idea, Niala. The more comfortable we are with the village, and they are with us, the smoother things will be. I’m not saying kiss anyone’s ass--”

A gasp that was a mixture of shocked and amused came from across the table. “Genki!”, Hanae spoke, her tone a mixture of amusement and disapproval.

Genki paused mid sentence, looking a bit guilty. “Sorry, love… I’m not saying kiss anyone’s butt, but it definitely wouldn’t hurt either of you to make a good name for yourselves and put in a good appearance. You’ll be able to make connections like that, and those can come in handy should you ever end up in a spot of trouble or in need of something you can’t get your hands on otherwise.”, Genki finished, kissing his wife quickly on the lips once he was done - which she returned with a smile - before spearing another bite of food and eating it.

I won’t argue with that logic, it’s sound advice.

Niala, still smiling from Hanae’s gentle and almost playful chastising at their father’s language, had no reason to argue with her father’s advice, he was after all the seasoned veteran at the table who knew what he was talking about. So, she simply paused but a moment as she was about to take a bite, and nodded in understanding. “That will be my goal then.”, Niala commented with a smile before taking another bite happily - her stomach had long since stopped growling, but the food was too good to go unfinished: not that she had much left on her plate anyway.

Word Count: 1,115 | 2,055

Kensaku

Kensaku

D-rank
A single eyebrow was raised when Kensaku noticed Niala going for seconds. Nothing was said as he simply watched his twin fix herself another bowl of the delicious meal. Though he had spoken it in a joking manner, he had been severely doubting her claim of going back to get seconds or thirds. It was more likely to snow in Sunagakure than it was for Niala to fix herself another plate of food willingly. She was simply the type of person who was capable of filling themselves up on a single serving without any problem. And when she did eat, it was keen to a bird politely picking at their food. For a briefest of time, in their younger years, he had called her birdy due to her food habits. But, those years were in the past, and he had come to accept the way she ate.

Not to say anything was wrong with it, just, he wished she would eat a little bit more. A medic he is not, but he knew their occupation would have them burning a ton of calories, therefore, making sure they both having eaten enough was important. Their mother, an amazing medic-nin, had made sure both of them knew and understood the importance of eating well enough to avoid being hungry missions. The knowledge was something he took to heart, hence his eating habits, it being not uncommon for him to get a third or fourth plate. He enjoyed eating the food cooked by either parent, though he had a preference for the meals prepared by their mother, although, their father’s cooking was as good.

Nevertheless, seeing her going for seconds was, indeed, a surprising development, and taking a quick glance around at their parents, they seem to be equally as surprised as him. None of them commented on it, only acknowledging it through gesture before going back to their meals. Speaking of food, Kensaku’s utensil hit the bottom of his now empty bowl. Looking down, noticing the lack of food presence, Kensaku made himself another helping of the delicious food with none of his parents commenting on it. He ate a lot, there was not much else to the fact.

Now with another bowl of food, Kensaku thought about his father let it be known that, if they need help with their puppet(s), he would gladly lend a hand. Personally, Kensaku did not want any assistance from his parents. While he valued their opinions, he want to something on his own. He wanted to build a success functioning puppet all by himself. To him, it was similar to a rite of passage, it being the one thing that would truly cement him as a member of the Chikamatsu clan. And while he might already be considered a member, he still felt like he needed to prove himself, not only to himself but his parents as well.

The musing would be cut short when Niala spoke, Kensaku focusing his attention on the twin, utensil having been placed in the half eaten bowl. A warm smile spread across his face when she agreed to partake missions with him. He tilted his head to the left as he ponders on what Niala had said. Establishing themselves within the village was not something he had given much thought to. He had simply been inadvertently going about things, never once thinking about what they needed to do to prove themselves loyal to Iwagakure no Sato. Showing their loyalty to the village, proving that they cared for the stone country, would go a long way for them. The populace would know that they are dependable and could be counted on when the time arises. It would help exceptionally when they go after promotions, and be needing recommendations from others.

Taking another bite of the meal, his attention shifted to their father, listening to the man’s words. A snort, which turned into a chuckle, escaped his lips when the man cursed and got reprimanded by their mother. It was not the first time their father had cursed in front of them and got in trouble for it, and Kensaku doubts it would be the last time. Taking the words to heart, Kensaku resolved himself in making a good name within the village, if not for his benefit, but for Niala. He would do what is needed to make sure the village saw them in a positive light. “And that will be my goal as well.”, Kensaku spoke, mimicking his twin’s response. Both parents were smiling at their two children who were at a start of their journey.

“Niala and Kensaku.”, Kensaku focused his attention on the one who called him, his mother, and wonder what she was going to ask. “I know both of you like specialties outside of what our clan is known for. How are they coming along?”, Hanae asked, looking at her son first. Genki also seems to be interesting in the conversation for he was waiting to see how they responded. Both parents knew their children had an interest outside of puppetry, and they did their best in trying to promote such diversity. They were not traditionalist like some other members who only want clansmen to focus on kugutsu. Genki and Hanae both saw the importance of expanding out from the specialty, and diving into others.

Setting down his utensil, Kensaku spoke, a hint of excitement being heard in his voice, “It is going well. I am on the crest of making the very first batch up original jutsus. Though, to be fair, their concepts come from established techniques. I had to use some of the library scrolls to get an idea of how chakra would flow when done correctly, and how hand-signs affected the effect of some jutsus. Speaking on that, if my theory is correct, a single jutsu can have multiple effects depending on the placement of the hand-signs making it up.” If Kensaku had a passion for anything, it was jutsu creation. He just loved the idea of creating some original from scratch. The thrill of making something that belonged 100% to him. While he never made a successful jutsu, yet, he knows he is only a few steps away from doing so, and he could not be more excited about such a prospect. After speaking, Kensaku allowed his parents to ask questions and waited for his twin’s response.

1075[2051]

Niala

Niala

D-rank
We always seem to be on the same page with things.

Her brother agreed with her words, and the words of their father. In all honesty it was sound advice, and it would do them both good to put their best foot forward. Making connections with people, and setting a good example for themselves would do them both wonders later on in their careers. Even though her and her brother shared the puppetry aspects of the clan, they differed with the rest, and being able to count on others and call in favors would further them in ways they likewise wouldn’t manage alone. So this was definitely the plan she was aiming for, and her long term goal to work towards.

I was wondering that, too. What have you been getting up to brother?

At their mother’s question she paused in eating, glancing over to see Hanae’s gaze focused not on herself but rather on Kensaku. Figuring this gave her a moment to continue to eat she did so in silence, listening as her brother answered the question with a kind of excitement that hadn’t been there moments ago. Even though she currently had no interests in learning Ninjutsu she still listened as her brother began to explain about the jutsu he was trying to create - techniques that no other living soul would have even though they were based off of existing techniques. Niala was definitely impressed: it was hard enough to learn a technique that was known and proven, but something entirely different to make one of your own, especially when only a Genin. She listened still, stealing another bite of her food in the process, as her brother went on to explain about his theory with hand seals, thinking that this might be something she too would have to see and work with in some of the jutsu she used - though they would be medial based instead of Ninjutsu based.

What has all my training come to? Hopefully enough to make you proud.

As her brother finished speaking and the attention was focused onto her she put down her eating utensils - her food gone as it was - and leaned comfortably back in her chair. She paused long enough to take a sip of her water before placing her glass down and focusing on the conversation and more importantly on the fact that it was her turn now to answer the question. “I have much the same to report: it’s going very well. While my main focus is and will always be on healing and helping to better my fellow man I have begun to research the darker and more brutal aspects of Medical Ninjutsu. This is not so much for my own usage, but rather to understand what exactly can be done with it. I feel like the more I understand about the darker aspects the more prepared to face them I’ll be. I’m hoping it’ll help me to create techniques specifically designed to combat negative effects, this way I can better help my allies should a situation like that ever present itself. While I can’t say I’ve been creating any of my own techniques, yet, I have picked up on quite a few I’ve been working with - including both some healing jutsu as well as one meant to act as a general numbing agent. It’s a far cry from where I know you are, mom, but I’ve been learning a lot in my trips to the library.”

Hanae was quite pleased with the response from her children, as was Genki who smiled broadly before going to grab himself more food. Niala watched him return from the kitchen before her blue eyed gaze snapped back to their mother as she began to speak, “I’m glad to hear you’re both doing well in your endeavours. You’re heading into good territory by creating your own jutsu, Kensaku. You’ll leave your enemies uncertain of what you’re doing, uncertain of what to expect, and that will easily give you an edge - as I’m sure you’re father would agree.” Hanae gave a glance to Genki who even though he was mid-bite nodded enthusiastically in agreement. After smiling at her husband Hanae focused her attention back onto her children once more before continuing, “You’ve come a long way, like you’re brother Niala, so don’t discredit yourself. Medical Ninjutsu is hard in and of itself, and most shinobi cannot manage to pull it off. The fact that you’ve begun to learn so many techniques speaks highly of what you’re capable of, and what you’ll be capable of in the future. I was where you were not that long ago. We all must learn from the bottom. Don’t think you need to rush to the top just to please myself and your father. We’re proud of you, both of you. As far as studying the darkest aspects of the medical arts, I do think it’s a good idea to be prepared for what you might come up against. I’d be concerned if you weren’t willing to pursue it, even if it’s just in an academic sense.”

There is something nice about knowing mom and dad are proud of us.

It felt quite nice to hear those words, to know that both their mother and father were proud of them: both of them. It wasn’t like they were hard on them - there were some parents out there who expected perfection, and expected it on the first try. Hanae and Genki weren’t like that, they just wanted their children to do well and to succeed in life. The whole thing brought a smile to Niala’s face, one which lingered as she nodded to her mother’s words before she got up and began to gather up the dishes that were no longer being used, taking them into the kitchen and putting them in the sink.

-Thread Exit-

Word Count: 995 | 3,050

Trained:
Reaction Time D0 -> D1: 3,050 - 325 = 2,725
Reaction Time D1 -> D2: 2,725 - 400 = 2,325
Reaction Time D1 -> D3: 2,325 - 450 = 1,875

Perception D0 -> D1: 1,875 - 325 = 1,550
Perception D1 -> D2: 1,550 - 400 = 1,150
Perception D2 -> D3: 1,150 - 450 = 700

Speed E2 -> E3: 700 - 225 = 475
Speed E3 -> D0: 475 - 300 = 175

Endurance E1 -> E2: 175 - 165 = 10 (10% increase due to Clan)

Discarding 10 Words

Last edited by Niala on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kensaku

Kensaku

D-rank
No sooner after he got done speaking, his attention shifted to his twin, listening in rapt attention as she spoke on her studies in the medical field. He was impressed with her resolve in looking into some of the darker aspects of the field that traditionally was regarded as a lesser or non-important specialty in the past due to it primarily focused on healing others, and not killing them like other specialties could do with incredible ease. Though, he wonders if the biased viewpoint was due to people believing medical ninjutsu had no offensive capabilities or was ignorant of the fact that it did? He could not be for sure what their reasons behind the viewing it in such a way.

Nevertheless, the viewpoint is now a mute point with many medical shinobi now focusing on the offensive and dark aspect of the specialty more so than the healing. The times have changed to the point that medical ninjutsu is now being seen as one of the most versatile specialties one could study in due to what it can do. As someone who studies the nature of chakra, wanting to learn it's secrets, Kensaku did read up on medical chakra. There were a few books published by a deceased Iwa Sannin who talked about the offensive capabilities of the medical ninjutsu, and theories surrounding how it's chakra can imitate diseases, such as necrosis. The books were interesting, to say the least, providing Kensaku with useful clues to help with his journey. It was a shame the author had died during an ambush. Kensaku would have wanted to meet him to pick his brain apart about theories and such.

As Niala finished speaking in her hobbies, Kensaku found himself impressed and happy with what she was doing. She took the incentive and began studying up on the dark aspects of medical ninjutsu to start developing ways to counter them. She did not wait till she ran into a user of said dark arts to begin making ways to nullify their abilities. She was removing the random equation out by developing countermeasures every on. The smile on his face grew bigger at what Niala was doing. “If you need any help in creating your techniques, I can help with that, at least with the theory behind them.”, Kensaku spoke up, letting his twin know that she could count on him to help her with her endeavors. He was not about to let her do it alone. What type of brother would he be if he did not offer her some assistance? A terrible one that is what!

Taking another bite of his food, Kensaku beamed at the praise given to him and Niala from their parents. It was nice to receive praise from the two people he looked up to. As their mother spoke, Kensaku took her words to heart. Resolving himself to never give up on his journey to rise to the top, to never stop trying to better himself to protect the people who he cherished the most. The smile ever present on his face, Kensaku gently nudged his sister, “I am also proud of my baby sister.”, He jest. Though twins, Kensaku came out a second before Niala, therefore, was technically the oldest, something he likes to tease her about. “And, remember, I will always be there to protect you.”, He spoke, the smile on his face having toned down to show the seriousness of the words, and that he meant it; no matter what happens he will always be there for his twin.

Finishing up his meal, Kensaku helped gathered up the dishes that were no longer in use, and placing them in the sink. Once everyone got done eating, he would proceed to wash the dishes and clean up the kitchen, and throughout it all, there was a smile on his face.

Finished | Exited

648 | 2699

Strength [E-3 -> D-0] | 600 x 10% | 660
Endurance [E-3 -> D-0] 600 x 10% | 660 
Perception [E-1 -> D-0] | 675 
Speed [E-3 -> D-0] | 300 
Reaction Time [E-3 -> D-0] | 300
Total WC: 2595
Discard: 104

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.