You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:19 pm

Ryota Suzuki

Ryota Suzuki

D-rank
Bad moods weren't uncommon but this one was colossal. Floundering with internal fury, sheer frustration and exasperation welled up drawing almost tears from the boy for his idiotic complacency. Having missed his opportunity to sign up for the exams coupled with post-travelling anxiety, Ryota was feeling more than a little unhinged as he strode through the small tourist centre with gritted teeth keeping jaw stern beneath an otherwise calm face. He'd have kicked up dust clouds if not for his inheritance being so kind. This thin veil threatened to blow away in the breeze washing gently across the mountain, the boy ninja's dislike for anything outside of his village pulsing through his mind like so many racing thoughts tearing up the highways in his brain. He felt exposed, vulnerable, as if everyone was looking at him and judging his decisions. Before his breath could quicken much more and his heart burst in his chest, the guilt-ridden teenager ducked into an open cafe. Retreating to one of several ornate wire metal chairs with fixed, neat cushions to sit upon Ryota took head in palms as his nerves collapsed against a will to ease back to some semblance of the calm he was attempting to project for the world to see.

Turning inwards it was time to try and calm himself. Just like his sensei had taught him, breath in through the nose deep down to the bottom of your lungs. One, two, three second. Out through the mouth. Rinse and repeat three times. There, his pulse was slowed. Now it was time to try and deal with his lack of focus. Slipping into his memories the boy clutched at the jigsaw puzzle of idealism he'd made for himself. As the sound of wind fluttering through leaves opened the string of thought the warmth of sunlight perched onto his skin. A taste of sweet cinnamon and icing pastry. It was all a start on easing out those knots of tension in his shoulders and the boulder sized pressure on his mind.

A waitress interrupted, she was polite enough and yet her question of his order still caught him off guard. Eyes finding their way open and hands down to the table, Ryota nodded he was ready to order and spoke in the creak of an unclear throat, "Lemonade, please." His eyes briefly found their way to the waitress, offering the brunette a small smile before she treaded away to fetch his order. Breathing a sigh of relief the thin layer of cold perspiration that had formed on his skin came to bother him, snatching up a napkin to wipes what he could away from exposed skin before tossing the tissue aside. What a pain in the neck this entire trip had become. He'd let down his team and his family. How could he possibly make up for this in the time available? Pondering the question, Ryota drew the cold glass to his lips and sipped soothing cool.

As the thoughts wracked thought trains the first time traveller looked about himself, beginning to realise the surroundings he was in. It was fittingly, a cafe utilising mostly dark wooden colours with deep red walls, sleek and stylishly dark despite the contrast of the light outside. Some unseen air conditioning fitted about the ceiling kept the heat absorbent colours cool along with the patrons, each of the tables as much a stylish fusion of elegantly designed patio furniture focused on aesthetic with the durability of leather tacked cushions for longevity amongst the wire frames. Each glass topped table hosted traditional designs as detailed mosaic, naturally reminiscent of bygone figures of power famous throughout history and their legendary battles to inspire the modern era. The 'wall' facing the street was instead a glass front, more of the same seats and same rounded tables set up outside. The service counter was along the right wall as patrons entered, adorned with a stand of fresh cakes and fitted with a most modern brass coffee maker. Aside from a tip jar, only various syrups and liquers adorned the wall on wooden shelves behind said counter. The door itself, wedged open and close to the same wall left the brass bell hanging limply in the wind. The lights were of course, strips fitted in the ceilings and a pleasantly mellow yellow to take it easy on the eyes of patrons. Even if only a medium sized place, it was nice enough as is. At the far left of the cafe there were three black leather couched booths, featuring more flashy artwork on their larger, rectangular table with the only other feature of worth the varnished floorboards. The name of the cafe itself hung on the lone oak sign, stylised and beautiful, nailed between door and window upon bare brick.

Taking a second glance at the service staff as he tried to process this as tactical data to assimilate he realised the man behind the bar seemed to be clad in a suit, in particular that of black pants, waistcoat with white pinstripe shirt and red tie. The lady having served him earlier worse a similar ordeal, albeit a skirt.

[866]

Last edited by Ryota Suzuki on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:20 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Cafe appearance.)

2The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Masayoshi Mari

Masayoshi Mari

D-rank
After wondering around the resort area for what seemed like a very long time, Mari yawned out loud and stretched her arms behind her back. Her pace slowed down as she swung her feet from side to side as she walked through a small street with few people. Sure there had been a few sights to see and a few events going on during the chunin exams, but as she wasn’t particularly participating most things were pretty boring.

And I left the desert for this?

It had been the first time Mari had ever left the Land of Wind, and so far she had only seen giant waterfalls and really tall mountains. Amazing and breathtaking wonders, but really only there to look at and admire.  She thought about walking or hiking through the mountains, or getting a dangerously close look at the waterfalls, but in the end there really wasn’t any merit for doing either except wasting more time and energy. And speaking of which, she was feeling a little tired, perhaps it was time for a nap again.

And so that was how the girl had found herself inside a cozy little café, the walls were dark and red, the chairs of wire frames with leather cushions. On each glass table were intricate figures of famous and powerful people of the past. When she walked through the door, there was a little Ding-ding~! which the girl found to be very cute.

Mari made a beeline for the stand of pastries at the service counter, after aimlessly wondering around she had a panging of hunger for something sweet. The colorful little cakes were as cute as could be, some decorated with strawberries and jam, other with delicate little frosting flowers, and even a few made in the shapes of small animals. She liked her lips in indecision, for a moment just admiring the adorableness of the treats. She finally decided to get a white chocolate bunny shaped cake. She paid the worker at the counter and went to go sit down. At first she headed straight towards some comfy looking couches in the back, hoping to take the nap she had decided on earlier. But then she noticed some of the customers in the café.

There were few others, besides the staff dressed in suits, it seemed as if she had the whole café to herself, save for one or two other patrons. It was very nice because then there would be less noise and make it easier for her sleep. Yet the girl noticed another lone customer sitting by himself. A boy of black hair and blue eyes, similar to her own appearance, though his hair was a little unkempt and his eyes were easily defined as troubled.

He had only a single drink with him, light colored in appearance, probably lemonade of something similar, and it looked like he only took a single drink from it. It was easy to tell that the young man was anxious about something. The girl noticed a napkin crumpled on his table, a cold lay of perspiration on his exposed skin. Yes, there was something definitely bothering him.

It was of Mari’s immediate instinct to walk over to him.

Perhaps it was a little bit too forward of her, but she came up to him softly, allowing herself to be heard a few steps  away to not scare him with her sudden approach. As she came closer she noticed several scars on his hands, and one that marred the left side of his face. He was a ninja of Kiri, for he wore his headband on a black fabric around his neck. She suddenly remembered that she had forgotten to put on her headband that morning. Whenever she did wear it, it should’ve been around her left arm.

Mari politely bowed and spoke softly to the young Kiri shinobi, who appeared no older than her. ”Forgive my intrusion, but a café is meant for relaxing and enjoying a drink or treat. I could not help but notice that you seem to be doing the opposite.” Her head nodded to the crumpled napkin on the table. She gave a kind smile as she moved her blue eyes to meet the young man’s own. ”I do not mean to pry, but if there is anything you would let a stranger assist you with or provide some advice about, I would be more than happy to offer myself.”

It was generally unlike herself to be a conversation starter, but Mari saw it instead as helping someone in need. Though she wasn’t sure if she could indeed provide any comfort to the young man’s troubles, she confident that it did not hurt to try.  

796 Total Words~

3The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:38 pm

Ryota Suzuki

Ryota Suzuki

D-rank
Ryota missed the bell ringing entirely. He'd been far too preoccupied with his own matters such as scrubbing sweat and being thoroughly self-absorbed. The taste of dust on the wind and the lick of heat across his face were unfavourable and in this somewhat more exposed state Ryota even yielded a scrunching of his nose in a flighty moment of distaste.

A cursory glance told him relatively all he needed to, a girl dressed in peculiar back and white frills with quite an erroneous white bow affixed to her head. Not to mention the hairstyle. Chances were she was simply a local kid, looking to be an individual amongst a sea of regularity.

Disregarding her, the teenager found himself rapping fingertips upon the table in a mildly off tempo, another fine illustration of his shuddering composure. Again turning inwards as the air conditioning breathed coolness back into the air this pale boy had several thoughts occur to him at once. It was like watching a mime for all the good his bloodline did him. Uneasy and unable to properly contain himself he flickered between postures of puzzlement, unable to discover the core reasoning behind a solution. It was entirely feasible for example, to return to how he was raised during the largest part of his life so far in terms of chronology. After all, could a test subject ever really forget how to be a good and disciplined soldier? It wasn't exactly likely. That was a life of pain, dullness and servitude. He didn't want to just do what he was told forever, after all.

The other idea was something along the lines of grasping his own destiny. Like that woman, Gin. She had made a solid impression on him about the consequences there could be for over ambition but that wasn't much of a deterrent, pale skin bore plenty of scars without having earned a single one. If he was going to suffer, he'd do it for what he believed in. Then what was-

Oh. Steps approaching.

As a sinking feel swamped his guts, the ninja's hand came calmly, slowly to his stomach, composing a seal of confrontation. It was better to be prepared to someone ready to pick off a lone ninja outside of the exams than not. As the statement followed, admittedly his breath caught from the anxiety if nothing else. How formal and polite she was! Of course, this was proper etiquette for a stranger but even an assassin-

Ah. Ryota turned and had seen it was simply the girl from earlier. Dropping the seal it became readily apparent she was coming in peace. Looking over her again he noted she was more lean and in fact, more tanned than she would first appear compared to up close. It seemed a first glance wasn't everything. Clearing his throat, the Yuurei boy motioned to the seat opposite himself and offered, "P-please, join me if you have the time to spare." A mental twitch of irritation. He hated words catching in his throat more than being off-guard. Accepting it as a natural consequence of his own paranoia and discomfort, the thought breached the rest that; "It would be the least I could do." In such a situation. "I'm afraid I'm having some personal issues." Came the same tense, estranged tone.

That was that he supposed. The ghost made almost scared now just waited for a response.

[1446]

4The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Masayoshi Mari

Masayoshi Mari

D-rank
When the boy turned his head, his showed an expression of relief and surprise. Perhaps he was expecting someone else? Mari wasn’t sure who he was expecting, but it might be that as a shinobi he expected something with a little more killing intent. So, he was paranoid? Maybe a little over vigilante, but it was a good trait for a ninja to have. Mari couldn’t blame him for taking precautions as such.

At the end of her inquiry, he cleared his throat and offered her the empty seat opposite to him. Though his words were a little bit shaky, he seemed more angry at himself than anything. Mari could only wonder what types of troubles seemed to plague the boy’s mind. She nodded, accepting his offer and sat down across from him. She made herself comfortable by crossing her legs, and carefully flattening down the skirt of her dress, then laying her hands carefully in her lap. Her choice of fashion had always been one to bring strange glances or second looks, but she had always enjoyed the monochromatic and frilly fashion.

”I’m afraid I'm having some personal issues.”

His tone remained tense and his demeanor not changing, if not perhaps getting worse with discomfort now that she was here. He seemed to be thinking about many things at once, even as he shared a few words with her. Mari kept a serene expression on her face as she let her shoulders relax. She figured that if she kept calm then her serenity could transfer to him. Or maybe, he just needed someone to be calm for him. The girl didn’t really have experience with ‘personal issues,’ she was alone most of the time due to her parents being gone and she didn’t have many intimate relationships to begin with. So, Mari herself was wondering what kind of thoughtful words she could give when she didn’t have any to offer.

”Depending on what type of personal you mean, you could attempt to talk to the person that is the cause of the issue. Though, also depending, you might be better off not talking to that person at all.” She tilted her head, thinking aloud possibilities. She was trying to put herself in situations that could be deemed a ‘personal issue,’ from break-ups, to fights between a friend, to even losing someone close to you, or... having problems with oneself. Her last idea seemed to be the most likely candidate, she realized that she had faced a problem like that before, and currently still was.

”I find that when I am faced with a challenge and cannot find an answer anywhere I search, I am able to think more clearly if I distract myself with something I like and take my mind off the issue for a short time.” It was true, if not a little bit cliché sounding. At times, her worries of not being strong enough to be a Master Swordsman or finding her clan leader’s killer, frustrated her enough to get restless nights of sleep. Even if she did train hard, what was the point if all her training had been for naught? What if she just couldn’t be strong enough no matter what she did? And if she did gain enough power, what if the killer was just stronger than her? What if it was just her destiny to be killed by that vile criminal just like her clan leader…?

It was these fatalistic thoughts that sometimes plagued Mari’s mind. But if there was thing the girl was sure of, was that she was a Masayoshi and it was her duty to active in maintain a path of justice and righteousness. Helping people was a good thing to do, it reminded her that it was what she needed to be doing in the present, rather than fretting over an uncertain future.

As if on cue, the two were at once greeted by the brunette waitress. She politely turned to Mari while she set a dish on the table, a small carrot cake with white chocolate frosting shaped to look like a rabbit.  ”Ah Miss, it seems you left this at the counter.”

Mari felt her cheeks turn a little red, for once not frustrated herself with forgetting her cake at the counter, but embarrassed at the fact that her forgetfulness had been revealed to the boy she was sitting across from.  She thanked the brunette for bring her the cake and then turned back to the boy. ”I really like cake for example.”   She said with a little chuckle, trying to cover up her embarrassment. If we were going to continue talking, he would’ve noticed my forgetfulness anyway. Besides, Mari did really like cake, especially this cute little cake that was in the shape of a rabbit.

”You can have some if you like.” Mari mustered up a smile, politely offering some of her desert to the troubled young man. Sweets made anyone feel better, the girl knew that much to be true. She looked down to notice there were two forks on the plate already.

”There’s an extra fork…”  She trailed off, just then realizing what that had meant in terms of two people eating from the same plate.  

887/1639 Total Words

5The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:38 am

Ryota Suzuki

Ryota Suzuki

D-rank
As she sat Ryota turned to face her as he eased his chair in a little closer under the table, a more personal yet polite distance for conversation just as he was taught. He noted she was very eloquent in her movements, deliberate and composed. That was either rigorous etiquette or refined training. Perhaps both. Glossing over her features she didn't seem to particularly have any symbol of a village anywhere on her person so it was somewhat safer to assume she was a simple civilian with eclectic tastes.

Accepting this face value for now with still a mild air of apprehension, he listened attentively to her advice. Most intriguing. Interjecting into her thinking after the initial statement, "I'm afraid the issue is indeed with myself. I failed to do what I set out to this land to do. This has left me with some sense of misdirection." Even though he had divulged this much, he wasn't about to spill too much. After all, he hadn't even spoken to his captain about it yet.

Hell, there was a point. Nozomi-Sensei would probably be pretty pissed at him for failing to properly support his team mates in the exams. That wouldn't be a fun conversation.

As she reached her second statement, thankfully interrupting his pity-party the ninja perked up a touch. What she had said made a lot of sense. Distractions were always more pleasant than simply dwelling on the bad over the good. It may be human nature to tackle problems emotionally and flailingly but perhaps it was more apt to put things on hold in dire situations of stress such as he believed he was experiencing.

Interrupted by the waitress he was taken aback a little, carrot cake? It seemed this civilian had taste almost as good as he did. This was most delicious of cakes, combining moist with what people often found to be an overbearing sweetness with deliciously consistent icing if baked in the right hands.

The wielder of those blue eyes had to admit he was fiercely fond of sweet things. Looking briefly back to her face from the dessert, he offered a small nod of thanks with a small smile creeping out as he seized the fork delicately in an effort to muster the same politeness he was being shown. Eyeing the bunny-faced cake Ryota pronged the soft edges, doing his best not to mar the decoration. After all, a sugar toothed ninja like himself would of course want to try the two separately and never dare to presume a fellow connoisseur would want a stranger to take the first sample. Being socially inept the teen thought nothing of it as he worked the treat over in his mouth. Mulling it over he pondered how different the result was. With his home lands being relatively low altitudes and quite cool temperature wise, a warmed climate and higher altitude made the cake mix come out a much softer, airier result. It was definitely a contrast to his own home where much more moist, thicker cakes were common. Yielding a nod of approval the boy cleared his throat again, sipping lemonade before uttering, "Thank you. My name is Ryota, by the way. I commend your choice of carrot cake." There was more certainty in there. Apparently sweets certainly were an affinity to calm and erring soul.

[2013]

6The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:03 pm

Masayoshi Mari

Masayoshi Mari

D-rank
When the waitress had set down the cake, the boy seemed taken aback a little. Was it that she had left it there and the waitress was lucky enough to bring it? Or perhaps the fact that they were sharing from the same plate? Though, he didn't question it at all when she offered some of the cake to him. In fact he took the extra fork as she took her own, an tiny anxious smile creeping up on his face. He was trying to be as polite as she was. How very thoughtful of him. And it was also very nice to see someone else so excited about confectioneries, he might've been just as passionate about sweet things as she was. The way he reacted as he slipped the piece of cake into his mouth immediately showed his delicious satisfaction.

She tentatively scrapped off a small part of the white chocolate frosting, with a small part of the cake as well. She took the cake into her mouth carefully and at once smiled as the white chocolate  seemed to melt on her tongue. It reminded her of a recipe for white chocolate cookies that she had been meaning to work on. Unintentionally, it was that her trip to Kumogakure no Sato was a confectionary research trip. Her mind wandered as she reached for another bite. I could shape them like bunnies....Though, I would need a bunny shaped cookie cutter.

The boy in front of her nodded with approval, clearing his throat once more and taking a sip of his lemonade. He finally got a chance to introduced himself. His attitude finally adjusting to a little calmness.

"Thank you. My name is Ryota, by the way. I commend your choice of carrot cake."

Ryota-san, is it? She tilted her head thoughtfully, examining his looks once more. His hair was black as hers, though his was messy and unkempt, pushed back a little lazily. His eyes too were blue like hers, and probably the first time in their converstion, they were not filled entirely with concern or doubt. He had confirmed her suspicions that the problem he was facing was something of his own fault. She hoped that this little distraction of something they both obviously enjoyed would lift his spirits for a while. She noticed the scar on his left cheek, remembering the other scars she had seen marring his hands and fingers. He was a shinobi after all, a dangerous way of life, certainly. Yet by his age, he couldn't have been one for much longer then she had. His time might've held more serious situations that the girl hadn't even had a chance to think of.

Mari set her fork down next to the plate and then wiped her mouth with a napkin.  She tipped her head down as she introduced herself to the ninja of Kiri.

"I am Masayoshi Mari of the scattered Masayoshi Clan, a genin level shinobi of Sunakagure no Sato. It is very nice to meet you, Ryota-san. And it can suffice to say that I myself am a little bit of an amateur confectionary connoisseur. It might also be suffice to say that you are one as well?"

A small smiled escaped back onto her lips when she lifted her head back up. "Heh... It seems that I have forgotten to put on my head band today. I did not mean to deceive you or hid the fact that I am a shinobi. I sincerely apologize if I did." She covered her mouth as an embarrassed chuckle escaped into the open as well. Mari had always disliked her own forgetfulness, but she figured she might as well laugh about it now. After all, today wasn't the first day she had forgotten to wear her headband. And some days she forget to wear her white bow. And the girl did 'forget' to sign up for the chunin exams earlier. It just couldn't be helped, her own forgetfulness. One of her traveling cousins, who had spent a few nights with the girl when he visited Suna, had sworn that she would have forgotten to put on her head if it wasn't already attached to her body.

712/2352 Total Words

7The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:02 am

Ryota Suzuki

Ryota Suzuki

D-rank
It struck him as odd when the girl in front of time went silent to stare at him. A less trained man might buckle under the tension swiftly gathering in his chest as nerves built up. In his experience, very few people stared so intently. His small smile persisted in politeness, his relatively blank expression holding as a gentle dusted pink surfaced across his cheeks.

Faintly aware of this burning sensation across his face Ryota came to wonder if he had fallen sick. Being so socially maladjusted it was unusual for close contact with anyone, even his dear mother. All noise seemed to stop about them as focus shifted to shut out the outside world. In an attempt to distract himself, Ryota attempted to delicate shuffle his fork into place on the plate.

Only the lingering flutter of the breeze and the lingering taste of cake seemed to link him back to reality. Behind his eyes first thoughts pondered a form of killing intent. No, this lacked that kind of tension and as far as he was aware no jutsu was cast nor any weapon drawn. This was something altogether more pleasant yet at the same time pressuring. Perhaps the truth was he wasn't adjusted yet. His designated social worker did say something about taking time to get used to what other people consider normal, regular interactions. Yes, it must be that. And yet, what she would divulge next was not something he would have expected from someone he had dared to split cake with. He barely had time to mimic her delicate dabbing of the mouth before the statement came.

A ninja? Had this been a deception all along? Royta fought the impulse to grimace as escape routes calculated sprung to mind. A dash for the door, breaking the window, over the counter to take a hostage if need be. Blushing certainly paled in the face of what felt like treachery. Perhaps it was simply part of his own fear of foreigners taking surface yet maybe this girl truly was a hunter of the inexperienced. His hands retreating to his knees, knuckles turned white as a mild irritation surfaced. Had he miscalculated? Why would she be here and not at the exams? Rushing through the possible reasons a moment of dumbfoundedness occurred to the foolish boy.

It was perfectly logical he wasn't the only one to mess up his entry to the exams. Considering her physique the boy further reasoned to himself it was a foolish mistake to presume anything. Smile returning with a more bashful colour brushing along his features he commented, "I suppose you forgot to sign for the exams also, no?" With a slightly nervous laugh forged from his own guilt. As a thought flitted through, Ryota supposed it would be strange not to return the same politeness he had been shown throughout the interaction. "Please, it's really no trouble. I hail from Kirigakure as I'm sure you noticed. My clan is also scattered in a fashion but I'm afraid I don't like to talk very much about that since I was adopted into another family. My given name is Suzuki, Miss Mari." Miss? Where had that come from? Doubting his own mental soundness, Ryota shook off the internal misnomer.

"Did it take long to reach here, Mari?" Came the enquiry, trying to draw attention away from his odd manner of speech and irregular formality, interlacing his own fingers upon the table once more with the crumpled napkin obscured upon his lap.

[2605]

8The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:53 pm

Masayoshi Mari

Masayoshi Mari

D-rank
When Mari revealed she was indeed a shinobi of Sunagakure, the Raven haired boy gained an unusual aura of tension. Mari stayed reserved, though she was thinking she might've held her identity a little too long. She hadn't been the one to introduce herself first, for it was a series of events that disallowed her to speak her name and origins until jut a moment ago. Eventually, the Kiri nin who was named Ryota returned a shy smile, a little bit of pink color of his cheeks. Perhaps he was just surprised that she was a shinobi after all. She hadn't shone many signs of being one since she had entered the cafe. And she wasn't wearing the signature headband of a shinobi like she should have been all along. It was right to suppose that he thought she was just another civilian or even maybe a Kumo native.

"I suppose you forgot to sign for the exams also, no?"

Mari blinked in surprise at his statement. It was almost too big of a coincidence that she would run into another genin that had forgotten to sign up for the chunin exams. He laughed a little, it was slightly forced, probably from embarrassment of admitting that he had forgotten. Mari chuckled with him. They weren't so different after all, both were genin that didn't always remember things from time to time (though she probably more often) and they both held a deep passion for confectionary treats. Not to mention the physical traits of both having blue eyes and raven black hair.

"Yes. Well, It seems we are alike in more ways than one, Ryota-san." She smiled, confirming his thoughts.

He in turn revealed more a little information about himself. His family name, Suzuki, a little mentioning that his Clan was scattered like hers and also that he didn't like talking about it, and the fact that he came from Kiri, which was obvious enough by his headband. She wondered about his past once more, perhaps the reason he didn't like talking about his Clan was those scars that marred his hands and face? A violent clan maybe? Or perhaps one with strange rites of passage? The Masayoshi generally weren't that structured, even since before the death of their clan leader thirty years ago. In fact they probably had become even more chaotic as many members took up journey to find the assassin. She turned her thoughts back to the boy. Since the beginning of their converstion, she was already sure that she wouldn't be forgetting him any time soon.

"... Miss Mari."

She couldn't help but let a smile out at the boy's awkward phrasing of her name. It was actually kind of cute the way he said it, most likely even unexpected by himself. He was simply trying to return the politeness that she had shown him, though it came out in a irregular fashion. He quickly reverted back to a more casual way of referring to her with his next question.

"Did it take long to reach here, Mari?"

With his fingers interlocked on the table, he tried to sway the conversation from his awkward tone. Mari gently laid her hands on the table, laying her left hand atop her right, in a attempt to mirror him and assure him that she didn't mind his nerves at all.

"Indeed, Kaminari no Kuni is a very long way from my homeland. Thankfully, though I journeyed alone, the scattered nature of my Clan allowed me many a nights rest and guidance from several Masayoshi, many of whom are also natural born travelers. Unfortunately, like many of my clan and my parents, I seem to not have inherited that trait. This is my first time truly exploring another land outside of Sunagakure no Sato. My parents, however, left Kaze no Kuni to resume the traditional clan work as traveling historians when I first entered the ninja academy. Even during my extensive travels to here, I have not seen them at all."

Mari paused as she thought about talking of her clan and a little bit of her personal history. It had been a simple question about her journey, and she ended up revealing bits of personal information about herself and her clan. She had no problems about it of course, as she had nothing to hide. There really was nothing exciting to say about it. The girl's life was a relatively boring and probably nothing in comparison to what the young shinobi before might have already witnessed. She didn't want to pry about his past, he already stated he did not wish to talk about his clan.

"As it has been established, I had forgotten to sign up for the exams. My reason for coming to Kumogakure no Sato was simply one in hopes of gaining new alliances and friends for many ninja from all over the Shinobi world shall be here. All of them with varying backgrounds and levels of experience. Despite I myself am not participating in the chunin exams, I believe that there is still much merit in coming here." Another gentle smile appeared on her lips. "After all, I did happen to come here and meet you, Ryota-san."

887/3238 Total Words

9The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Ryota Suzuki

Ryota Suzuki

D-rank
The expression the girl before him presented at it being suggested they shared a similar blunder caught dear Ryota off guard. The musing thought that she interpreted him as some kind of psychic certainly tickled his sense of humour. Naturally, a normal person wouldn't have simply jumped to that conclusion but a combination of logic and a lateral willing to take a chance on coincidence composed a lot of the pale-skinned one's personality.

Yet, when she laughed it was again a disarming notion, easing this paranoid ninja further into a sense of security. Well, as much security as somebody with a phobia of travelling and a distinctly developed distaste for foreigners out of past trauma was able to experience in a cafe stunted miles from home halfway up a mountain. In terms of the statement shortly following it regarding their similarity, it seemed a mysterious one even to this socially maladjusted fool. Indeed, perhaps this was why it seemed so peculiar. A flame of curiosity flickered within the lulling dark in his mind, perhaps it was a suggestion of future co-operation? She was certainly a very visually striking individual, the memories that would persist were very mutual. As the flame abated he wondered if one day he would be hired to murder her, considering that his future was headed in such a way it could be very much so a sullen day when their paths crossed again.

Mirroring his own motions, it was charming yet somewhat only served to deepen his disheartening at the thought of having to eliminate this target. The result of this all hadn't done anything to dissuade the emotional turmoil taking it's moment to resurface. The smile fixed like decoration eased down a touch, like some mayor decided the banner on the town hall was a touch too big.

Sweeping away those peculiarly shaded cobwebs to hide back in their corner for the time being blue eyes remained fixed through strands of black, being as attentive as he could manage. The tale of her travelling alone struck pangs of sympathy. It conjured thoughts of times so hazy and far back in memory he scarcely remembered them. The cold streets laden with snow, begging for scraps. What a world it had been, living a life similar to her own. Feelings more than anything else surfaced from the smog, the recordings of reactions stronger than the hazy recollections themselves. It was nice to hear that at least she family to help and of course, he could sympathise with the hints of being unprepared for travelling out of her homeland. It even went so far as to restore his smile as peculiar as it might seem following a comment regarding missing parents.

Her pause in the statements brought a further estranged stare at her. What was going through her mind? He supposed it must have been some piece of melancholy or another to distract her mid-statement, not that he wasn't guilty of such things now he contemplated it. Sipping the cool lemonade below it's halfway point to pass the time Ryota supposed the flavour of the drink wasn't much to be thought of. That was the problem with a lot of carbonated drinks, all sweeteners and fizz without much flavour left behind. Scrunching up his mouth in brief distaste now he was finally paying attention to the drink the hope was that the ice would soon melt and overwhelm it.

Her next statement was something very sagely for such a low ranked ninja. She showed great awareness, Ryota could appreciate that even from the practically pretentious view of a teenager. "I very much so agree", commented the boy before setting down the glass. The final comment dragged him through a pure sense of being abashed to bow his head in thanks for a moment, grinning unrestrainedly at the comment. "I appreciate the praise and would say the same of you, Mari-san." Returning the suffix was presumably fine at this point. "I'd point out there are many greater and far more interesting than I about. I'm simply a humble Genin like yourself, trying to find out what it is I want to do with my life." Briefly tilting his head to the side the boy admitted more openly, "I must admit, that's the problem I'm having. I let down my time by falling behind and now I have no idea how to compensate for that." The earnesty in his voice was clear and true. It was a change to be sure and perhaps something of a distraction from divulging any further information regarding his own past.

Chewing his lower lip as he was wanton to do thought crossed the troubled one's mind. As the tension and worry bubbled to the surface again, Ryota considered talking to this stranger about matters never normally in their scope of knowledge. It was reckless, foolhardy and stupid from any sound mindset he'd ever have but this place and person sat before the lolita-clad kunoichi were far from the mist breathing boy sitting amongst lagoons and cool shores back home. Well, there was little that could be lost. Letting his heart beat over into honest request travelling it's way up to his mouth like nervous fire from some child dragon's snout, it came forth smooth as nerves could handle.

"Perhaps I could ask you what you think I could be best doing, Mari-san?" It was internal turmoil for the ninja. Trusting a foreigner?! He must be insane. It must be the heat, the wind, the altitude! He sat waiting, entirely unsure what could come next with innocently terrified eyes looking on.

[3562]

10The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:37 pm

Masayoshi Mari

Masayoshi Mari

D-rank

As she finished her words, the boy before her couldn't hide the smile from her complement.

"I appreciate the praise and would say the same of you, Mari-san."

He too understood the benefits of coming to Kumogakure. And he seemed to appreciate meeting her. Though at first he seemed nervous, his bashfulness made Mari smile. He claimed that he wasn't the most interesting person to meet, but Mari was glad to have run into him. He needed someone to talk to, and it just so happened that she was free to do so. He was having trouble with his life, that much had been obvious since the beginning of their conversation. And it seemed he even had mistakes of his own. He was chewing on his lower lip, his nervousness returning.

"Perhaps I could ask you what you think I could be best doing, Mari-san?"

Mari averted her eyes when the boy before her asked that question. It was surprising to say the least. She wondered why her asked her that. Did she give off the impression that she  was wise enough to provide answer? Who was she to give her opinion on what a lost stranger should do with his life? Well, he was the one asking. Did he truly think that she was someone who could answer? It was quite flattering, yet it seemed that he was also unsure if it was right to ask her. He had as much reason to trust her as he did not. The two had only met moments ago. They had gone as far as share a cake though disclosed little personal information to each other about their personal lives. At the same time, it was also quite pressuring for she was afraid to say something that didn't live up to his expectations. His tension from earlier returned, an anxious look in his blue eyes. It seemed to pass onto her, though her anxiety was not as easily surfaced. A neutral, unreadable expression remained on her face.

She decided she would try to say something she would like to hear if she was feeling unsure about herself. Suzuki Ryota would have to judge her words for himself.

"I am afraid I am hardly anything better compared with yourself. My tenure as a shinobi is only beginning and I have not yet lived up to the words of honor my Clan has dedicated their lives to. But maybe, it is because I am inexperienced that my words may mean something to you." Her eyes returned  from a distant look to search for his. She pursed her lips, for the first time showing a hint of nervousness like his own.

"I am weak. Both physically and mentally, I acknowledge that freely. I have many fears like any normal person. I can be easily misguided and often times get frustrated with myself for little things. But I have one goal that I know I must accomplish in my life, even if I know I am not ready." The girl sat up straight, her shoulders back, her eyes narrowing as she came across a more serious topic. It was not common she revealed her personal aspirations, never mind to even a stranger. But it seemed be needed something of substance if he was to take her seriously.

"I must find the man who killed the Masayoshi Clan leader over thirty years ago. It is of the teachings of my Clan that crimes must be paid in full to the ones who commit them. We are historians, and we find that the history of our world is one filled with the eternally struggle to maintain a balance of black and white, of evil and of good. Though we are small and scattered, we simply wish to be active in maintaining that balance. That is why many of my Clan traverse the world, my parents included. I realize now that I am not yet worthy to take up that cause, but that is why I wish to change."

Her voice became a little hesitant with her next statement. She felt that what she going to say was about cliche or generic as advice came. She had been talking quite a lot for one who really was soft spoken. "Ryota-san, I believe that if you are weak, then you  train to become strong. If you are wrong, then find the reason why you are not right. If you are lost, then search for directions to find out where you are or where you wish to be. If you do not like who you are, then change to become the person you aspire to be. The man I search for will not wait for me to change, that I have to do myself. One day Ryota-san, your enemy will not take time to pity you because of your flaws. " Mari took a deep breath in and then out through her nose. She hoped she had provided a good enough answer. He had not specified a specific problem, but she had realized that his main issue was himself and she hopefully covered that with her last little spiel. Her gentle smile returned as she waited for his judgement.

874/4112 Total Words

11The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:55 am

Ryota Suzuki

Ryota Suzuki

D-rank
(I apologise for the long gap in my posting. I'm afraid I utterly flaked out and went through a weird mini-confidence crisis in my posting quality.)

As the smile arose from his conversational partner, Ryota found himself quite pleased, if not amused at receiving the expression. Despite this, Mari averting her eyes did prompt curiosity. What was this? Had he said something out of sorts again? Reaching for his glass once more the flciker of his eyes downwards into it at the rim neared his lips showed nothing but ice left in the cylinder. What a pain. Swirling the ice about the glass with a clinking of the glistening rocks. Social construction was hard. Glancing this way and that as he failed to discern anything from her face, Ryota's paranoia prodded him. Nope, still no sign of a malicious bad guy waiting to spring from the shadows and carve them both up.

With a mental shrug the teenager knocked back a cube, crunching away in strange mime-like silence as the girl in front of him reeled off her presentation about her purpose, her own direction in life. Only briefly raised eyebrows betrayed any surprise at her suddenly divulging all of this information. Was this regular social conduct? Was it supposed to help people grow closer or some such? How strange people were.

Yet, as he listened the boy found himself propping up his elbows on the table and leaning his lips against the glass in though, hands interlaced about the warming surface as the smile drifted away. Her admission of inexperience was interesting. So, she was about as fresh as he was in terms of time labelled a functional ninja at least. Well, at least that wiped away some misconceptions. It also made her more feasible to take on in combat if it came to that. Judging by the easy identification of her own weaknesses it was almost like she was wilfully admonishing herself for some reason. Part of him said she doubted herself, another calling out an opportunity as habitual mental check noted the quickest way to gain an advantage if things turned foul.

There it was. The thing that set them apart. A goal in life. Perhaps that was all he needed to set for himself, an objective. Like a flash of lightning through a meadow, the thought briefly flickered of his previous intention to serve the footsteps of his father before her expansion of her goal swept it away. Interesting. A mission of vengeance. That was her purpose? To serve the bloodline and take care of a struggle she had been told was a universal imbalance of power? As memories of that lady, Gin came to mind her statement on questioning orders came to mind. Inside, something once molten began to steel.

The hesitation made him wonder. Had she reached the same conclusion? The statement that followed was somewhat philosophical, typical of a historian to border on heightened social commentary from his prior reading experience. A small smile ensued. Training, huh? Find the root issue? The last sentence of hers felt incongruous, as if of her past experience. Strange, yet he pressed on after setting down the glass. "Thank you, Mari-san. You have provided me some clarity." The boy offered up a wider smile of appreciation, tension faded and some joy shining through. "Say, Miss Mari. Do you really feel so obliged to follow the path set out by your clan? A lady I briefly worked with delivered the message to question orders sometimes if they don't seem right". Ah, of course he couldn't help himself but put his point across, not even beginning to understand how rude it could be. "Not to say vengeance for your family is an incorrect path but, surely that is an issue for the previous generation to handle having happened so long ago?" It was an honest query at least, dressed in a smile of a foolish boy.

[4206]

12The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:39 am

Masayoshi Mari

Masayoshi Mari

D-rank

At the end of her long speech, the boy across from her gained a small grin on his face. Soon to be turned into a wider smile of appreciation.

"Thank you, Mari-san. You have provided me some clarity."

She let out a breath once more, a relief found in his words. So perhaps something she had said reached him somehow. Mari wasn't quite sure herself, but she was glad that her line of thinking had provided him some guidance in whatever happened to be happening in his life. Of course she could never guess unless he decided to tell, but she wouldn't press the matter unless he wanted to privy such information. She wasn't there to interrogate him. She didn't believe she had asked too many questions, nothing too personal of his. Though, she did end up sharing quite a bit of personal information about herself.  She wasn't sure what he would think about her clan's of her own ideologies, but that would soon come into light with his next question.

"Say, Miss Mari. Do you really feel so obliged to follow the path set out by your clan? A lady I briefly worked with delivered the message to question orders sometimes if they don't seem right."

He was right to say what was on his mind and to anyone else, it might seemed that she had trapped herself in the set goals of her Clan. It had never occurred to her though, to truly feel that way. She tilted her head once more, carefully thinking of a response she could word.

"Not to say vengeance for your family is an incorrect path but, surely that is an issue for the previous generation to handle having happened so long ago?"

So long ago indeed, thirty years. It was almost twice as old as the girl herself. It was true she never had a chance to know the Clan leader, despite swearing vengeance for his death. Her parents had known him, she thought. Though, now that she could recall... Perhaps they never did at all. It was the nature of their Clan to be scattered, and it would be no surprise if they had not. Even then, they also had sworn to bring the killer to justice. It was why they were currently traveling the world searching for said killer, like so many other members of their Clan. Since it had been so long, to anyone asking the right question, he might never be found. Even less details about the murderer were known, a name, a face, an origin, all left to anonymity. It seemed a hopeless effort after so long, yet even after all that time, the search for the killer never ceased within the clan.

Mari herself wasn't sure if the killer would ever be found, though she knew in her heart that it would be wrong to stop trying. And if he was found, a darker thought came... What if he couldn't be killed? To kill the leader of the Masayoshi and then avoid justice for thirty years, he must've had more than just a few tricks up his sleeve. A master of illusions, that was practically all that was known about him. A user of Genjutsu, who committed a crime thirty years ago.

"Even if the wrong was done thirty years ago, today it remains a wrong that has not been set to right. Justice itself can be seen as a another form of vengeance. When someone does something bad, he must face the consequences of their actions. When someone does something good, he must also face the consequences of their actions. Depending on the type of action, the following reactions can be good or bad. For someone to avoid facing those consequences, justice remains unbalanced. That is why my Clan is so dedicated to finding that murderer, becuase we must balance his action in return." Mari calmly replied to the boy across from her. She could not make him understand her Clan's and her way of thinking, but she could try to explain. He was very right in the respect that sometimes an order from a higher authority could have questionable means, but she did not view her desire to bring justice as an "order."

"Ryota-san, it is not simply something I feel I have to do, it is something I know I need to do. That is the teachings of my Clan. We do not simply follow them like they are orders, we live by them becuase that is our way of life." She thought back to the days of when her parents had remained in Suna, to when they hadn't yet decided to resume their work as traveling historians or search for the murderer of the Clan leader. They loved her like any parent would and taught her that good and evil must remain as a balance between light and dark. When the sun sets in the Suna sky, night takes over. But the sun always returns next sunrise, and the night comes back with the end of the day. An eternal cycle of dark and light, just as good and evil is shown throughout history.

There are times when the darkness seems to shadow the years, but it is always inevitable that a good light shall return. In her view, even if it is the most vile crime and even if the perpetrator escaped judgement for so many years, one day, justice shall come. And in the teachings of the Masayoshi, one must be active in maintaining that balance. It was she had come to learn from her parents, and from her family. She could only hope that he would come to understand.

964/5076 Total Words

13The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Ryota Suzuki

Ryota Suzuki

D-rank
The explanation offer by Mari was indeed a very sound one. As she explained carefully and thoroughly to him it became clear that she was not even beginning to doubt the direction of her forbearer's will. It brought a cloud of pondering across his mind. Where did people find these astounding resolutions in their spirits? For it to be compounded into such strength was infinitely amazing to him. Resting chin upon palm and elbow upon table his face fell to a scientist's analytical composure, devoid of any particular expression as his brain ticked over. If only he could isolate this element in everyone and make the business of assassination easier, it'd be infinitely more helpful in extracting and staging deaths. Alas, he was thinking of the future.

The motives put forwards were sound but her childish explanation felt somewhat belittling. Ah, ever was it the mistake of people young and old to grasp onto their own definition of some philosophy inherited from a book or elder. Surely it was the experiences granted by life that helped a person grow wiser alongside these words? In this boy's mind these things were something to nurture and allow to mature. A book to write across the timeline defined as a space between birth and death. Of course, that was he himself adopting a philosophy of his own volition and putting it into as much effect as this young lady.

Regardless of all this pompous deduction of a rookie, Ryota grew to smile with her next statement. The honesty of it was beautiful. A true sample of human expression. Giving her a smile for the trouble of challenging her views Ryota sat upright, his hands folded upon one another rested neatly on the desk. "You're certainly more interesting than I first gave you credit for, Miss Mari. I apologise for my misconceptions about you and hope you can forgive me". Mildly inclining his head in respect thy boy added, "So, what will you do with your time here? I think the moment of clarity you've given has enlightened me to push on and train here. I think it would be the best use of my time, after all." It was a shorter reaction and pondering than his last but in his mind, the most important.

[4593]

14The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:12 pm

Masayoshi Mari

Masayoshi Mari

D-rank
"You're certainly more interesting than I first gave you credit for, Miss Mari. I apologise for my misconceptions about you and hope you can forgive me."

He returned a smile to her, his hands casually laid on the table. He was at peace, for the time being. Perhaps he was just one of those types of people who never really could settle down. But for the time she had spent with him, she was glad to have helped out, even if it was just for a little bit. A ninja of Kiri and a kunoichi of Suna... It was unlikely they would ever meet again after this encounter, though... With him being of Kiri, the girl thought of the possibilities. It was her dream after all, to one day become a master Swordsman and hopefully find herself worthy enough to wield a legendary sword. That was of course.. A dream meant for later. For as of right now, she needed to focus on her goal of finding the murderer of her Clan leader. In a sense the boy before her had a point, why take upon a task that should have been left for a generation before her? But, it just didn't feel right to just let a crime go without proper judgment. It was her belief that an imbalance must be corrected.

Mari nodded her head, thoughtfully back. She understood that appearances were never really what they seemed. And it was partially her fault for not wearing her headband, but also her story wasn't one that was told to strangers everyday. She never thought anything of it, for to her it was just how life was. Her clan's philosophy was all she had ever known to be right, though she always was welcome to other's ideas.

"So, what will you do with your time here? I think the moment of clarity you've given has enlightened me to push on and train here. I think it would be the best use of my time, after all."

What would she do...? That was the question. She didn't quite know herself. She had come here with a general idea, watch the exams, explore a new land, meet some new people. The girl was never really one to have a plan of things that should happen. She had goals, but she focused on how to get there as she got there rather than worry herself over how they should be reached.  Speaking of which, she had inspired Ryota to do something about his current state. Training to do whatever he needed to do, to fix whatever problem had been of his own design. That was what was good to do, at least what she thought was the better option of using his time. She realized that it was what she needed to be doing as well.

"As it seems, you have inspired me to make the best use of time here as well. As we had forgotten to sign up for the exams, it would be only right for us train harder and become strong shinobi. "  Her smile kept a kind touch of understanding. In the end, they were still both shinobi with a duty to serve their village. Mari never saw herself as a patriot and she supposed that many shinobi never did, it was a job, a responsibility that never should be taken lightly.

"And as for you comment earlier, Ryota-san... I am not that interesting of a person." The flattery from few words before made her blush just slightly. Compliments were something the girl never received too often, thus such a statement was unexpected, but in a good way. "I suppose it might be that my story is something you have not hear before, but I am sure if you were to look at your own story, you would find it to be just as interesting."

It might have and might not have been true. She remembered the scars that marred his body, his face and his hands were all that she could see. She had felt a slight pull of curiosity as to what they were, so numerous that it couldn't just had been an accident... Could it? It was not a pleasant thing to ask, so she avoided the topic. If he wished to reveal, then he would have already or in due time. She had no reason to judge him for his scars, and it wasn't his appearance that made her want to talk to him in the first place. It was his attitude, his nervous demeanor that she hopefully calmed down in the time being.

"Ah, I shan't keep you any longer, if I have enlightened you as so." This would goodbye. It would seem like so. She was glad to have spoken with him, and glad to have helped.

~Exit Thread~

815/5891 Total Words

Training:

15The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Empty Re: The Red Line Cafe (Open/No Kill) Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:17 am

Ryota Suzuki

Ryota Suzuki

D-rank
Mari's parting comments were sweet and modest, igniting a warmth fizzing like static inside Ryota., pushing his smile onwards. Ah, how could it be that people came to be so conservative of themselves? As his companion made move to leave, the living shadow rose in politeness, offering up a formal bow and cursory thanks as his mind rummaged through machinations. Seating himself once more as she strode by he found himself pondering just what he'd do with her words. They were very kind and very soothing, even shed some light on his life but if he was being honest, lacked to give him an easy answer beyond renewing a sense of resolve. Chuckling to himself at the thought as he toyed with the fork, scraping and dancing the prongs about the plate squeak by squeak, it dawned anything worth time wasn't going to be so trivial to resolve.

Thoughts turned homeward. He couldn't go back empty handed or without some kind of progress to show for his trip. It would be shameful, disgraceful even in his eyes at least. All of these peers were making leaps of progress as he idled through the world with nary a care about anything practical. Well, that roughly settled it. For now this long term goal that eluded him would be made a little less long term. He was going to return to his original plan of self improvement, this time with significantly less panic in the deep corners of his mind screaming for freedom. With a small, resolute nod of affirmation the boy set down the utensil. Having already picked out something of a training regimen, it was suitable to try and salvage it. Yet, as he plucked the notes from his pocket a wave of heat washed over him and his breath grew heavy. This was no mere anxiety. Depositing the plate and settling whatever need be, Ryota quickly strode from this place to seek a refuge elsewhere.

[4923]

[Exit]

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.