You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Empty The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:14 pm

Maeve

Maeve

C-rank

The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] WiD8Yre

Her breathing began to calm after her last round of coughing, the majority of what had been sticking to the lining of her lungs having been expelled. This freed up her lungs to work properly, or as properly as they ever would. Unfortunately for Maeve there was no cure for her illness, but it was simply something she had learned to live with. Having spent her younger years facing the Grim Reaper himself, it had in a way prepared her for moments such as this. It had kept her from freaking out when the bandits had overwhelmed her three weeks prior, and it had allowed her to keep her nerve instead of acting on blunt emotions alone. She knew that had she caused trouble like some of the others who had been captured as well she wouldn’t be here today: either dead or gone, those were the only two options for those who caused the men trouble.

As her identification was handed back to her she slipped it carefully into the pocket of the pants she had on, not minding the way the cuffs of the pants were torn and frayed, or the dirt that was on them and her bare feet. The fact that she was safe trumped all, and while it might have seemed silly to trust someone she didn’t know so blindly, she was going on what her gut was telling her: if the one before her had wanted her dead she would have been, especially with what she was seeing as she turned her focus back onto the fight going on some distance away.

Yet, her attention wouldn’t remain as the pink haired individual began to speak again, causing her blue hues to shift and focus back onto him as she listened. Hearing that those who had kidnapped would be dead soon probably would have disturbed another child, but for Maeve it brought her a kind of calmness and sense of security. Not only would the men here be dead soon, but so would those who had been keeping her elsewhere. It was comforting to know she wouldn’t have to be looking over her shoulder all the time, wondering if they would come back for her, especially after the destruction and death that had already been caused due to her fleeing to the island.

She found herself nodding in understanding, closing her eyes for a moment as she felt the throbbing that had been occurring within her head from the massive coughing fit beginning to subside: all the while knowing better than to try and stand before it was gone. It would only take a few short moments, especially now that her breathing had regulated before she could open her eyes again without wanting to wince against the pain. Grasping the tree for support with the palm of her hand and fingers, she rose to her feet, glad she didn’t sway. Her gaze would shift back to the location the whole fight had started in, and she let out a breath of relief she wasn’t aware she had been holding back. Looking back to the individual with her a small smile would spread across her face. ”Thank you for helping me.” Glancing back towards what remained of those who had lost the fight, she would add on a soft, ”I’ve seen what they do to people who caused them trouble... “

Maeve found herself looking forward to being anywhere but here, surrounded by death and savagery. The idea of just a place to relax was equally as nice, and maybe even get cleaned up - and perhaps in clothes that properly fit her, as the ones she had on were baggy and definitely not her own. Not that she really had any clothes to her name to begin with, but still. ”I can breath again, so I’m good to go.” This of course was definitely the truth of things: there was no more weezing, more coughing, and her face which had turned red from all of the coughing was once again returning to its naturally pale color.

----

After being welcomed into the manor Maeve found herself able to take the time to wash up in a warm bath, adding a bit of coloration to cheeks: giving them a somewhat healthy and rosey look. Having the dirt and grime off of her had certainly gone far in making her feel even better, and a fresh set of clothing had helped even further still. While she had never really been one for skirts, the outfit was beautiful and pastel pink in coloration, making it look as if her pale skin had a bit of coloration to it. A sweater covered the upper half of her body, hanging off of her shoulders in an elegant fashion with two thin straps made of silk holding it in place and keeping it modest: it fit her well, neither too tight or baggy, but with enough room to allow her freedom of movement without being constrained. A pleated, almost knee length skirt had accompanied the attire, with a pair of white leggings worn beneath that were thick and obviously meant to be warm. Socks and a pair of boots had further completed her attire, and after brushing her blue colored hair, now lighter than it once was since it was properly washed, she looked almost normal - as if she hadn’t just spent the past three weeks in hell.

Her mind had been filled with questions as to where clothing that fit her so well had been found so quickly, but the food she had been given as she sat at an elegant looking table had quickly wiped her mind from all of those thoughts as her stomach roared to life in a way it normally didn’t. She had eaten in silence, not really contemplating anything, but really focusing on the first proper meal she had had in longer than even three weeks. Life had been tough for Maeve long before she had been kidnapped, being an orphan who was abandoned by the one who was supposed to be taking care of her was tough: the world was by no means a friendly place, she had learned that early on, even while her parents were alive.

After she finished she gently laid down her utensils on her empty plate, feeling fuller than she had in months. While anyone else in her position likely would have been exhausted she was wide awake: the manor was interesting enough as it was, but she was also curious about her rescuer. On top of that her mind was flooded with thoughts as to what would come next: she was still a lowly little orphan without a cent to her name, and she was unsure how long she would be welcome at the manor. ”That was delicious. I’m surprised I finished it all. I normally don’t eat much.”, she spoke softly, her voice holding a sort of whimsical chime that would have been beautiful in song. She was really just trying to fill the silence, while her mind was going a million miles an hour over everything that had happened, not just since she had been kidnapped, but since her parents had died.

TOTAL WC
Total WC: 1,385

2The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Empty Re: The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:59 pm

Chigetsu Hōzuki

Chigetsu Hōzuki

Dead
The girl’s breathing began to calm, and Chigetsu found himself somehow relieved. He half expected this poor little thing to collapse dead right in front of him. She had the demeanor of a little glass toy cat; all pretty but so fragile it seemed as though you could break her with just a glance. His earlier concerns of whether or not she might be a potential threat were discarded entirely, slipping from his mind in whole now that her nature seemed to be revealed. Something about her made him sensitive, and dumb. It made his stomach incredibly uneasy now just looking at her. It felt like he was upside down. For some reason he had already promised her the world, despite the fact that he owed her nothing. It was strange, being something he just couldn’t explain now and only thought about after it already happening. He had seen plenty of people die. Children, even. Watching her choke to death right here wasn’t something that he would have thought would bother him. The lives of shinobi weren’t something that were traditionally valued all that highly, especially not here. Not in Kirigakure, where historically there were exams were academy students were pitted against each other and forced to fight to the death. Not on Spider Island, where there was the ‘Death Camp’, where students all were fighting in a life or death situation against members of the Seven Swordsmen. If anything, right where they were standing was one of the most heartless and cruel places in the shinobi world.

Maybe he had grown too cynical.

Part of it might have been her name. He had seen her shinobi identification card. Yuki. The blue hair too. The resemblance was… It wasn’t exactly a match, but it was there. Maybe. Or maybe he was just seeing what he wanted to see now. Those unresolved emotions were pushed down, like swallowing puke that had risen too high in his throat.

He was glad he didn’t have to watch her choke anymore. It was a weight off his chest. Those moments of thoughts where he doubted himself passed now. Chigetsu preferred not to think too much. Not just about uncomfortable things like that, but in general. Thinking was the enemy. Or maybe it wasn’t , as not thinking was what got him into this situation in the first place. When she rose to her feet he almost reached down to help her, uncertain of if she would fall or not. He did it without thinking, only stopping awkwardly mid action once he realized what was happening.

When she smiled he couldn’t help but smile back. It was a reflex.

“Let’s go then. Try not to fall or begin choking again. Spiders will come and eat you if you do.” He was only half joking.

The reason that he had come to this island, the target that he was supposed to kill, was long forgotten.

----

Bringing her to the manor was easy. He had premium access at this point, being recognized as one of Lord Osada’s brood. Osada manor was essentially a home away from home for him. Passing again through the blackened oak doors made a fluttering of nostalgia pass through his chest now, sending another current to mix with what was already inside him. It had been years since he was here, even if it was a second home. The last time was that unfortunate incident with the bathing rooms… He cleared that memory from his mind. It wasn’t something he wanted to dwell on, unless he would have to repeat the same emotions of embarrassment and horror again. If this girl felt uncomfortable with the excess of dust and cobwebs that littered the stairs and entrance hall, she said nothing. Given that she was a shinobi he should have expected a bit more from her, but given her lung condition as far as he knew a bit of dust could send her into another coughing fit. She was taken around to the other end of the first floor and introduced to the medical bathrooms. He assumed, despite her age, that she could handle herself without accidentally drowning. Given how incredibly inappropriate it would have been to supervise her in the bath, Chigetsu would leave the mystery girl to her own devices in the room, allowing her to bathe as long as she desired. The medical baths were something sacred, closed off by fortified doors that denoted their access was limited to those only with Lord Osada’s approval. He was hoping that his permission would be a good enough alternative in this situation, given that the medicinal bath waters that filled each of the baths was the closest alternative to a medic.    

In the meanwhile, he would stand outside the door. It was almost as if he were a guard, but at the same time there was something much more important for him to occupy himself with in these moments. While the little girl might not have noticed, Chigetsu felt the eyes on him ever since entering through the front doors. They hadn’t encountered any others since entering the building, but that didn’t mean they were alone. He would clear his throat.

“Come out. I have a request for you.” He spoke the words into empty air, along in the halls. It would be a few moments before he received a reply. Out from the shadows would appear a maid with sharp eyes. Each pupil would bore into the male that had summoned her, full of emotion despite the palid and silent face they were placed on. Ruffling a bit of dust off of the dress that she wore, the Unmei servant would give the slightest, most obligatory bow to Chigetsu.

“These baths are only for those permitted by the Dark Father. You are aware of this.”

“I am aware.” He gave an appropriately curt response. “Prepare her clothing. Someting fitting for her age. She’ll need a new outfit after coming out.” The maid would stay silent for a few moments too long for the beat of a conversation.

“Very well.” The response would be given a moment before disappearing again into the shadows. Chigetsu couldn’t help but let a short sigh escape from his lips. When Haka wasn’t around dealing with these Unmei was difficult. They always seemed to be sizing you up, deciding whether or not they would listen to you normally or try to tear your throat out with their teeth. Or fangs, as Spiders had, he supposed.

“Some food too. She’ll need something to eat as well.” He would call out into the darkness. There was no response, but he was fully aware that she heard him.

---

A few seats away from her, Chigetsu would watch the girl eat. He hadn’t taken a bite for himself, and didn’t seem to have the intention to despite the excess of food that had been prepared by this manor’s servants. Even though they were spiders, they were definitely talented in the human culinary arts, and so the food was of an absolutely aristocratic quality. A bit fancier than what Chigetsu was used to, but that wasn’t why he refrained from eating. Instead he remained silent, waiting for the young girl that he had brought in to finish stuffing herself. Once she finally had, they could return to business.

“It’s good to see you have a healthy appetite.” He would smile now, although he had been smiling the entire time while watching her eat without knowing. “I was afraid that you would wither away like a flower after the first frost. I shouldn’t have been too afraid, since you’re a shinobi. I’m sure you’re a lot tougher than you look.”

“My name is Chigetsu Hozuki.. Forgive me for not introducing myself sooner. It’s a bit rude for me to know your name without you knowing mine as well. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Maeve.” He would fiddle with the napkid that had been laid out for him. It was folded slowly into the shape of an origami crane, before being pushed down the table into Maeve’s reach. A little something to hopefully put her mind at ease. Or maybe not, he didn't exactly know how to entertain children. “Now, since this isn’t exactly my big mansion I can’t guarantee you’ll be allowed to stay here forever, but I’ll do my best to make sure you’ll be able to stay as long as you need to. First, though, why don’t you tell me more about how exactly you got into this mess? You spoke about the bandits earlier, but I’ll need a bit more information if I’m going to hunt them down.”

[1486/5128]

3The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Empty Re: The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:21 am

Maeve

Maeve

C-rank

The pink haired individuals comment about her healthy appetite made her realize just how much she had truly eaten: not like she was embarrassed by the fact or anything but rather surprised. Her eating habits had been a thorn in her parents side for as long as she could remember, but more so the moment she joined the Academy. They had been worried that her lack of caloric intake would keep her small forever, and that her smallness would make her even more frail than she already was naturally. Honestly, she was quite surprised herself that she hadn’t broken her fair share of bones growing up, but that was also why she had ensured to make up with her mental capabilities what she lacked with her physical ones. ”I don’t often each much…”, she spoke honestly, though she didn’t really know why she was explaining such. ”But, it’s been a long time since I had proper, warm food. So I suppose I went a bit overboard.”, again another bout of honesty from her: maybe it was because this was the first time she felt any sense of being more than just an animal fighting to survive, but in fact actually felt human. When exactly was the last time she got to sit at a table and enjoy proper food? More than just scraps that could be scavenged?

She listened then in silence, with a kind of stillness unbecoming of normal children, as he introduced himself and apologized for not doing so earlier. She found that she really couldn’t fault him, not with all of the fighting and the bloodbath that had occurred earlier. After that she had been busy washing up and then eating, and really she hadn’t thought to ask the kind strangers name which was equally a fault of her own too. Of course, she intended on making up for her own shortcomings from not asking with being as polite as she often was, ”It’s nice to meet you, too, Chigetsu.”

Once more she would fall silent as he spoke again, showing patience unbecoming of her age, with the same stillness as before: not like a statue, but more like a body of water that was calm and content now that the wind had quit disturbing its surface. The only movement she did make was to take the crane she watched him make out of a napkin, a smile spreading across her face that reached her eyes and gave them a childlike happiness. The fact that he would try and guarantee her some time at the mansion was indeed a kind gesture, and really it would keep her from going back to what she had: which was nothing. Shinobi or not she was only ten years old, and unfortunately still considered irresponsible by the accounts of many mainly due to her age: even with the ability to take on missions and earn money that way, it still made it hard for her to do things like secure herself a place to live.

Her gaze would shift off him and onto the crane though as he inquired as to how she got into the situation she was in in the first place, realizing that it was a series of events she would now have to explain: a beginning that honestly started the very day she graduated from the Academy. The happiness that was in her gaze moments ago diminished to nothing, replaced by a deep heart-aching sadness. ”I suppose I’ll have to start from the beginning, though some of what I can tell you is just assumptions I made from what I saw.”, she began, wanting to make it clear that she didn’t know absolutely everything about her situation and how it had led to being kidnapped, but rather that she had assumed things because of certain events she would come to explain as she went. ”The day I graduated from the Academy my parents were supposed to be there and they weren’t. When I went home there were already police there. My parents had been slaughtered. I didn’t see their bodies, but I got a good enough glimpse of the carnage and blood all over the walls to know it was bad. My mother had retired and was a kimono maker, she owned the shop beneath our apartment. My father was still a shinobi though. His last assignment had him out of the village for several months, though of course he couldn’t talk to us about it. When he came home he seemed… different, but we just assumed it was to do with whatever it was he had done or seen.”, She paused then, taking a deep breath before continuing on. ”I was entrusted in the care of a neighbor, an elderly man from my clan. I lived with him for about six months, and we were never really close but he seemed to tolerate me living with him. Then one day I came home from a mission and all of his stuff was gone. The landlord was there showing some new people the apartment. He told me that the guy, his name was Xio, had decided to move out of the country and that I couldn’t stay there anymore, another family would be renting the space. So I was stuck grabbing what I could carry and ended up sleeping on the streets for a few weeks. Couldn’t really get anyone to rent me an apartment because of my age, despite me being a Genin.”

Once more she would pause, her brows furrowing in deep thought as she got to the point in her story where she really had nothing more than assumptions. ”I kept doing missions, that’s how I was trying to feed myself. One day I was returning late and stumbled across a group of eight men outside of a bar. I didn’t really think anything of it, I thought they were just about to go and enjoy a drink. They were about to pass by me when one, who from the way he ordered the others around I assume was in some position of power, took one look at me and told them to grab me. He went through my pockets himself, and after finding my ID and looking it over told them immediately to take me to where they were holding the others. I know it’s just an assumption, but it makes me wonder if it had anything to do with the last mission my father went on, and if so my parents deaths as well. My assumption only grew when the guy seemed to take a special interest in me, he didn’t sell me off right away like he did with the others but instead kept me around. He kept asking me weird questions too: wanting to know who my parents where, what they looked like, the jobs they had. I refused to tell him anything, even after he began beating me. After he got his anger out he would call on this medic to heal me, and then leave me for a few days without food or water in hopes I’d talk then. The last time he came back to see if I was willing to talk he found me sick and ordered his men to take me to the clinic the medic worked at since he was too busy to come to them. I can’t say for sure where the giant house is, but I know it’s in a remote place: they didn’t blindfold me properly when they took me by wagon to the clinic, so I was able to peak when they weren’t paying attention. I know the general area its in. It took us roughly half an hour by wagon, and twenty minutes of that was on dirt roads that were almost entirely washed out. The clinic was in a very small village, not more than thirty buildings or so, and their veterinary clinic was larger than the clinic they had for the humans. I do know that there are more people involved than just the ten men who escorted me. I saw new faces every few days, always in groups of two or three because it made it easier to handle some of the less docile people. It wasn’t just young girls they kidnapped either, but women, men, and boys too. They would take groups out in the dozens, with only a few returning, and those who did would tell us that they were taken upstairs into the large house where an auction was being held in a strange circular room filled with windows. They were to stand in the middle of this platform that turned, and once they were bidded on they were taken away to somewhere else, only the ones who hadn’t been chosen returned.” She would stop then, having explained everything she could remember, realizing in that moment she had stared at the crane cupped gently in both of her hands rather than Chigetsu. Her gaze would shift over to him, waiting for him to say something else or ask another question, the light in her eyes all but a dim spark compared to the way they had lit up moments before her lengthy explanation.
TOTAL WC
Total WC: 3,020

4The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Empty Re: The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:44 pm

Haka Osada

Haka Osada

Retired
As soon as she stepped through the heavy oaken doors that marked the front of the manor, Haka's cloak vanished from sight, leaving only her long white hair to hide the typical black and red attire of the Osada clan she wore today. She was back home, still not quite sure what she had to make of all what transpired at the shores of the island today. The bandits were nothing more than a nuisance she could have left alone, but considering the influx of strangers involved the Osada had been compelled to intervene.

Nobuya, one of the kids was already a guest at Osada manor at her father's behest, and not exactly a person the arachnid had bothered much with. Her father dealt with him, and with that she was pretty much off the hook unless Sero made his wishes clear. What his reasons were for visiting were not known to her, but knowing her father well enough she could practically bet he was just another student seeking the teachings of the Dark Father. Teachings that, perhaps, were not the sort Haka herself could provide considering the truth behind her nature. She, unlike what her last name implied, was not born an Osada. She was born Unmei, a spider by heart and nature who had earned the rights to be called his daughter.

The bone user was a different matter. She was aware of the Kaguya as she had taken one within the demonic fold of the Creator, but she could not remember them being crazy enough to hug her in the middle of the battle. Other than the fact that Haka was not keen on human emotions or humanity in general, the distraction in mid battle could have spelled the end of that kid had she done anything worse than that. A potential attack, if it had been one, would not have been replied to with a 'mere bite' from the wolf spider's end. No, she'd have torn the Kaguya to pieces without second thought. Perhaps, if one could state as such, it was the Kaguya's human nature that had preserved her from death that day.

But there was a third person. The blue-haired girl, of which one of Kirigakure's Hunter-nin had served as her gargoyle guardian. It was unusual for them to move into Spider Island knowing that the spiders generally dealt with such threats but considering their allegiance neither Sero nor Haka would lift a hand against them. The island was still Kirigakure jurisdiction, after all. If the Hunter-nin moved this close, it meant they felt the need to do so. However, this Hunter-nin in particular was familiar. Haka presumed it to be Chigetsu, but it'd only be when the Unmei servant stepped out of the shadows that she'd be given confirmation.

"Lady Haka, there are several topics requiring your attention."
"Speak."
"It may please you to know Chigetsu has come to visit. He brings with him a child."
"Is he lurking in the baths again?"
"Ah... No. That'd be inappropriate, considering the girl's age."
"Why?"
"It's a human thing."
"Typical human silliness. A bath is just water. Either way, proceed."
"He has requested food for the child, and seemed to indicate certain interest in the healing baths."
"Who's the child?"
"Her name is Maeve, milady."
"Did Sero invite her?"
"No."
"... I see."
"Should I send her away?"
"No. Anything else?"
"Yes, we have captured an intruder."
"What do they want?"
"We thought it wise to leave that to you to figure out."
"Bring him to throne room, bound. I will meet Chigetsu."
"It will be done."

Bare feet kissing the cold marble floor of the mansion, Haka left the entrance hall to make her way to the dining hall where she'd find the new hungry visitors. The two seemed to be in conversation. A long conversation, considering the flood of words the youngest of the two loosened. Haka groaned inwardly at the thought of having to deal with a second Fuyuko, whose waterfall of words had taken the young Unmei by surprise. Though these days she'd do fine with such long conversations, Haka simply was not the person who favoured lengthy conversations and historical recitals. Stepping inside the dining room as surreptitiously as a moving mist, she'd make not the slightest of sounds while her dark clothing barely detached from the shadows that lurked almost everywhere in the dimly lit rooms of the manor. Only her intimidating aura would betray her presence. Once conversation had fallen quiet, a voice as soft and quiet as the mists who had given Kirigakure it's name spoke up.

"Chi. Ge. Tsu. What are you doing?"

5The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Empty Re: The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:14 pm

Chigetsu Hōzuki

Chigetsu Hōzuki

Dead
He couldn’t help but feel a bit of pride, even if it was misplaced. Watching her eat so much was almost a pleasurable act in itself. Part of it may have been that doing a ‘good deed’ partially stroked his ego, but even so he couldn’t help but be happy to see her now after a good bath and a proper meal. There was a world of difference between how he had found her and how she was now. Even if he was basically mooching off of the Osada for it. The reaction that she had with the napkin crane was cute as well. Chigetsu had never exactly thought about children before, mostly due to never having to. There were some that ardently hated them, but right now Chigetsu’s opinion couldn’t be further from that. He had half a mind to tell her to quit her job as a shinobi, as she was far too adorable to be going out onto the battlefield. Of course, hearing about what she had already been through made him still his tongue. Her parents disappearing the day that she graduated from the academy. Killed. An unloving caretaker after that. Risking your life doing shinobi work just to keep food on the plate. Although, the D-Rank missions that she likely was occupying herself with were hardly life threatening, it was still likely not an exactly pleasant line of work. Then the situation with the bar and getting kidnapped. She had mentioned parts of that earlier, but he hadn’t pried into the situation while the intensity was still high. And then what she had described taking place during her kidnapping. She was too young to have gone through torture. That may have been an emotional opinion of his, given he was more than aware that these sorts of things likely happened all the time. Maeve was most certainly not the first little girl who had been kidnapped, and likely not even the first little girl that this group of bandits had kidnapped.

Once she finished, she would sit there waiting. Looking at him, as if she was waiting for him to say something. There was nothing he could say, especially not after hearing all that. It wasn’t exactly as if Chigetsu was a particularly comforting person in the first place, being more clumsy than anything else, especially with other people. His mind would scramble as he thought quickly for something to say, but it seemed that fate had other plans in mind. The creeping aura that suddenly came in through the room would raise the hairs on the back of his neck. It was something he would recognize anywhere. Considering where they were, it made perfect sense for her to be here as well. Considering what he knew, he shouldn’t have been as surprised as he was. She did live here after all. All that scrambling on what to say was immediately diverted into scrambling on what to say to explain himself here in this situation. Just as the first syllable left her mouth, Chigetsu would already be turning around to face her.

“Chi. Get. Su.” He would flip around completely, a dumb and slightly afraid smile plastered over his face now. “What are you doing?” This was all too familiar. It was as if he experienced this exact same situation before. Of course, that was because he had, although that last time was him walking into the girl's baths while Haka was bathing. An honest mistake, but still something he'd prefer to avoid in the future. The tone she was using brought back awful memories of that moment.

Immediately he would stand up, sweating slightly as he began to walk towards the woman. Approaching her, against his better judgement, was hopefully something that would distract from the girl. Although at the same time he was nearly positive that Haka had already noticed her.

“I came here to rest.” He would say, although it was clear that he was thinking on his feet now. “It’s been a while since we’ve last seen each other, Haka. I’m glad you could come and see me. I was worried you wouldn’t be home.” Small talk. He wasn’t exactly good at it and Haka didn’t care for it, being a spider. Why he bothered with it at all was a mystery, although it did allow him more time to think. Of course, he knew the real question that Haka was asking. He was sure that that no-good maid had went and altered her the first chance she got, all while carrying out Chigetsu’s orders as he had given her. The silent ‘why do you have a guest?’ hung over the room, and he would take a breath before addressing it.

“This is…” turning, Chigetsu would gesture to the little girl at the head of the table. “Maeve.” He would do some spontaneously quick thinking, trying to think of what excuse he could possibly have for Haka in this moment that wouldn’t result in something absolutely terrible happening. Away from Haka, he would walk back over to the little girl until he was positioned behind her. A hand would be set down on her head, and he would give the slightest ruffle of her hair.

“She’s my daughter. Since she’s family, I thought you wouldn’t mind me bringing her here for a few nights.”

Nope, that was the wrong thing to say. Now that he said it though, there wasn’t any taking it back. He could only hope that Maeve would play along.

[967/6095]

6The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Empty Re: The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:43 pm

Maeve

Maeve

C-rank

She had been waiting for a response of some kind from Chigetsu, but perhaps no response was a response in a way. She knew her story was certainly out there, filled with horrors no child should have to deal with. Sure the old motto was that children were supposed to bury their parents and not the other way around, but no ten year old should be tasked with such a fate. She hadn’t known the first thing about burying her parents, funeral arrangements, or any of the sort - in fact, she had been incredibly lucky that the neighbor and clan member tasked with watching her had done it for her in honor of her Yuki mother. It had still been a terrible event, and one that she didn’t like to dwell on. She wasn’t a child who cried often, thankfully, and yet that day there had been a lot of ugly crying involved that she was by no means proud of. Of course, everyone cried when their parents died - or well, unless your parents were jerks, then she assumed you were quite happy they were gone. She didn’t know, her parents had been great, her life had been great. Maybe that’s why so many tears had come: she had a comfortable life filled with laughter and love and then what? Pain, sorrow, turmoil, and then abandonment and now this? It was a miracle she wasn’t a headcase, or was she and she just didn’t realize it?

While she had been hoping for some kind of response beyond silence her attention had shifted the moment she felt the hairs on her arms and the back of her neck stand on end. It took her a moment to realize why, and upon doing so she recognized the presence as the one from earlier, though she hadn’t really had a chance to put a face to feeling and now she did. Looking up at the woman who entered there wasn’t so much fear in her blue colored hues but rather fascination and curiosity. Then again she was curious about everything at Spider Island and it over-rode basic instincts that likely would have had her shaking in terror otherwise. Instead of interrupting like perhaps a normal child would she remained silent and watchful, curious but remaining where she was even as she caught a glimpse of Chi rising from the table and walking towards the woman he called Haka. Maeve found herself observing Chi’s mannerisms with the woman, and it made her question some things: though mostly if Chi, despite obviously being a Hunter Nin, was afraid of the woman before him? It begged to question just who this woman was and what she was capable of if that was the case.

Again though, despite these thoughts running through her mind she wasn’t terrified as she probably should have been, but curious and interested. As she was introduced, Chi turning his focus back onto her, Maeve raised her right hand and offered up a wave. ”Hello, ma’am.”, polite and short, typical Maeve. She wasn’t shy normally, but she had her moments.

What came next, as Chi explained why exactly Maeve was here, surprised her and intrigued her further, though it changed nothing upon her face. He was introducing her as his daughter, which immediately caused the child to question why within her own mind. In typical Maeve style her imagination went into overdrive at the idea of actually having a father again, of the idea of being adopted, and she found herself having to halt the thoughts before she got far too ahead of herself and got her hopes up. It was cruel to remind herself of being abandoned as a way to stop the process as soon as it began, but she also knew that to survive she would have to give up the function of assuming or she would just end up hurting again. No, it was far better to wait for the facts and truth rather than assume and hope on some fairy tale that the one who had saved her would actually be interested in adopting her. Taking in a child is a big responsibility, and Maeve certainly already had a lot of emotional and history-based baggage to accompany her that would likely make any adult run in the opposite direction as fast as they could.

Deciding that playing along was likely the best bet, especially if Chigetsu figured that going down this route would be the safest option, Maeve nodded her head with a smile upon her face in agreement with his words. Thankfully lying was a skill she was good at - though, maybe that wasn’t something she should have been proud of. She knew there were likely several different scenarios that could happen in this moment: anywhere from Chigetsu being questioned as to why his daughter needed to stay here instead of with him for a few days, to Haka telling them to leave immediately, or even attacking one or both of them considering Chigetsu’s prior response to Haka. While she wanted to hope she’d be allowed to stay, more because she had a burning curiosity she hadn’t felt in a while and a desperate desire to sate it, she did not allow her hopes to rise that she would in fact be allowed to remain on the island, let alone in the manor. ”I apologize for coming uninvited. This place has always interested me, though. Being a medic in the making there are certain entities, like spiders, which have always held a sort of fascination for me. The words were at least truthful, no lie within them. Spiders, snakes, and other venomous creatures had always caught Maeve’s attention. The idea of being able to replicate the same effects as a venom in the form of a jutsu or medical technique was indeed one of her goals. Venom could cause all sorts of side effects, some more unpleasant than others, and she hoped to one day utilize such knowledge against any opponent who happened to come her way.

TOTAL WC
Total WC: 4,040

7The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Empty Re: The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 am

Haka Osada

Haka Osada

Retired
Human emotions were a fascinating thing. Almost amusing at times. Especially when it came to observing Chigetsu's reactions towards her. It seemed that the way she pronounced his name triggered a sense of fear within him, like he was about to be scolded by his mother. A remarkable find since Haka was neither his mother, nor had ever scolded him as far as she could remember. Yet, here he was, rising to his feet and trying to explain himself to the least caring member of the Ahoban; an old familiar that he seemingly just couldn't get used to.

"It is good to see you again.", she stated calmly, genuinely enjoying his rare presence despite the stoic, almost cold expression written on her face. He was welcome here. Not only by Sero's grace or him being part of the demonic bonding the Dark Father had offered him, but by the spider-nin herself as well. Even if Haka was not the kind to quickly 'tolerate' the presence of others, Chigetsu had long since past the barrier where he'd have to fear for his life. He, and Verdandi, were the kind of being she'd kill as last if she truly had to kill the entire world; a twisted form of what humans would consider 'friendship'. It didn't sport much humane warmth, but at least there was that: an unspoken sense of acceptance.

The same would not be offered to the new guest. She was a human. A foreigner within Sero's manor. Just another member of a race she considered weak, dull and stagnated on the path of evolution. In her eyes, a valid target to be fed to the spider swarm, were it not that Chigetsu had brought her in. He'd introduce her as 'Maeve', confirming the name the Unmei servant had already stated and drawing the attention of the pair of apathetic eyes. The girl greeted the spider. Simple yet courteous. Remarkably without much indication of fear. Just a sense of innocent curiosity Haka would easily have attributed to humans of her age.

"Hello, Maeve.", the wispy voice of the spider returned the greeting before her gaze slid back to Chigetsu. He continued to explain himself. Or rather, her presence, going so far as to call her 'his daughter'. Now, Haka wasn't exactly the dumbest eight-legged terror to walk the world. The Ace Eye easily spotted a lie as obvious as this one, making her wonder for a moment of Chigetsu was underestimating her perceptive prowess on purpose or if he truly felt this uncomfortable in her presence that he had to blurt out such silly things. It was not all that hard to see that Maeve, looking about the age of ten or so, and he, looking about the age Haka resembled herself - eighteen, maybe more, maybe less, who cared really - simply could not be related in that way.

"Liar.", she said calmly, matter-of-factly. She actually cared none for the lie itself or Chigetsu using them. The spider didn't have the same perceptions or emotions as a human woman would. She didn't feel offended, angered or betrayed. But she did feel like toying with Chigetsu the same way as she had done that one day in the baths. It was uncharacteristically of her, a hint that Haka harboured a human side indeed, but teasing Chigetsu with his discomfort and insecurities the way she did simply amused the aranean queen. To add insult to the feigned injury, she'd avert her gaze from him as if she were truly  offended.

Perhaps in an attempt to salvage Chigetsu's pride, perhaps out of earnest interest, Maeve chimed in with her own explanation. She didn't confirm she was his daughter, nor opposed the thought, instead opting to play on the most obvious fact that hung around the manor - spiders. If the name had not been a dead give-away, the plentiful cobwebs and skittering of tiny spiderlings surely told any visitor the Osada had some relation with spiders. How, why or what might have remained a mystery but the fact was there. Haka couldn't spot anything that hinted towards lies, however, so there was most likely some hint of truth within the spoken words.

"The spiders of Osada Island can teach you much. Our clan does not teach the Way of the Spiders without good reason.", the spider-nin confirmed Maeve's words, upon which she turned to face one of the lurking servants, beckoned him and asked him to prepare a room on the 2nd floor. Haka might not be keen on humans by her very nature, but she knew it would be Sero's expectations to provide a room to those seeking to learn from his clans. At the same time, her decision was sufficient a reason to remove the anxiety anyone of them might feel concerning the situation. And with the whole thing possibly handled, Haka would change the topic altogether.

"My spiders caught an intruder other than the raiding bandits. Do you wish to interrogate him, Chigetsu?", the question was asked in particular because Chi had entered with his Hunter-nin mask on. So believing that he was still on duty, she'd prod him about it. But whether or not he felt inclined to act as the Hunter-nin he was, she'd lead the two towards the throne room where she had ordered the servants to bring the victim.

Total: 1'714

8The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Empty Re: The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Chigetsu Hōzuki

Chigetsu Hōzuki

Dead
It was true that Chigetsu was afraid. This wasn’t due to the fact that he was in the house of a giant, murderous spider, and it wasn’t because of Haka’s aura of fear, although that did give him a few nasty chills that ran up his spine. Chigetsu was afraid and awkwardly scrambling now because he was in the middle of committing a grave social sin. Inviting Maeve here to rest and recuperate seemed like a good idea at the time, but he hadn’t thought for a second about asking for permission first. He knew how Lord Osada and Haka were with controlling who could come into the mansion, and where. It was very likely that Chigetsu would be in some sort of trouble now, and the awkwardness of the social situation he had found himself in now that Haka discovered the both of them was making him sweat like a pig. Chigetsu was never good at situations like this. That was to say nothing of poor Maeve. Hopefully they wouldn’t think poorly of her for what Chigetsu did in this situation. Not to mention that he had just suddenly blurted out a lie like that, something so incredibly unbelievable, in order to attempt to protect himself. There was no way that this could get any worse than it already was. If Haka had any knowledge of human reproduction then she would see through it as the obvious lie that it was, but Chigetsu was hoping that human reproduction wasn’t a subject that she studied too closely. Of course, the idea of Haka studying human reproductive functions out of a textbook was a mental image that he now had and would be impossible to get rid of. The idea of asking her at some later point how much she knew about human reproduction, and how it was compared to spider reproduction was so an awkward idea that it nearly made steam erupt from Chigetsu’s ears. He didn’t even know how spiders reproduced in the first place! Did it involve eggs or something!? Why was he thinking about this stuff at a time like this!?

Maeve seemed to be playing along, at the very least. The fact that he had just dropped the d-bomb didn’t seem to phase her, at least if it did she was ignoring it. This was an especially cruel thing to do on Chigetsu’s part as well, given the story she had just told involved her parents dying. Yikes. He still couldn’t believe what he just said. Hopefully he hadn’t just made whatever trauma she had worse. The sheer weight of his social errors in the last few minutes were beginning to weigh heavily on his shoulders, and the poor Chigetsu was beginning to feel dizzy. How was it that he was this dumb? At the very least this little girl seemed to have a better head on her shoulders than he did, and her apology to Haka was rather convincing. He was almost beginning to believe that this whole mess could be salvaged. That was, up until the moment at which Haka called him out from his crimes. “Liar.”

"I-I... I'm not..." He would offer some weak resistance, his voice barely a whisper. Chigetsu had been defeated. The way she said it was like a bullet through Chigetsu’s heart, and he would make a bit of an exaggerated noise as if he were physically pained by her saying it. The way she averted her gaze as well, as if she was offended. He couldn’t handle Haka giving him the cold shoulder now in this moment, and the shock of the moment would drain the color right out of Chigetsu’s body. His hair and clothing too, and in a moment the male’s entire form would have the color and consistency of glue. The conversation between Haka and Maeve seemed to be going on just fine without his imput, which was a good thing considering that he was barely capable of something like that right now. This entire situation was so embarrassing he felt like he was going to pass out. Taking ahold of himself for a moment, he would attempt to shake a bit of sense back into his own head. Of course, he would remain as a pale white Gluegetsu, but that didn’t exactly stop him right now.

“A bandit? I was looking for one, and that was why I came to this island in the first place… I probably should look into it. I’m pretty sure the Hunter-nin Corps will eat me alive if I don’t produce results for something as simple as this, so I appreciate it. Hopefully it’ll be who I’m looking for...” He would cough, clearing his throat. Did he dare ask her about spider reproduction? Maybe that would be best to do in private, if at all. It was a pretty terrible idea to be honest. Deciding it was likely best not to slip into that sort of conversation at all in the presence of a little girl, Chigetsu would give one last pat on the head to Maeve (his gooey, half-melted fingers would leave a strange sticky liquid on her after he took his hand away), before following after Haka to the throne room. Hopefully Maeve follow suit.

[916/7011]

9The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Empty Re: The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Maeve

Maeve

C-rank

Maeve wasn’t entirely sure if Chigetsu’s lie would play out well: he didn’t look that old, certainly not old enough to have a child around Maeve’s age. Perhaps the better lie would have been to say his adopted daughter, or some kind of long-lost sister that was recently found. Yes, those probably would have been better options. Needless to say it was no surprise when after saying hello to her, Haka immediately called Chigetsu out on his lie. She found herself feeling curious how this whole situation would now play out, though there was anxiety there as well. There was no telling now how things would play out considering Chigetsu’s deceit had been figured out, but she hoped that whatever the outcome was it wouldn’t be her removal from the island: either dead or alive.

She truly didn’t have anything to say on this particular matter, and could only watch as Chigetsu’s stammered out a reply that Maeve knew Haka likely wouldn’t buy. She could only hope that her own words would save the situation: she wasn’t lying in her interest in spiders - and other venomous or poisonous creatures - and hopefully that would work somewhat in her favor. As Haka spoke again, explaining how the island certainly had a lot to teach, she felt her heart leap up in her chest though she tried to hide it behind the same smile that had been there the entire time. She was certainly earnest, though she was also interested in exactly how such lessons would be taught. Normal didn’t seem to apply to the island, from what she could see, and she knew well she would be dealing with creatures that were less than human and thus that did not hold the same standards as those within the village. Either way, she wasn’t put off by the idea, simply drawn to it more.

Her fate was sealed the moment Haka beckoned over one of the servants she hadn’t noticed was there, instructing them to prepare a room for her. The very concept of having a roof over her head was almost foreign. How long had she been living on the streets now? Just a few months? Yet the whole prospect made her as a giddy and happy as a child on Christmas morning who knew there was a mountain of gifts waiting for them beneath the tree. While she very much liked the idea of going to whatever room was prepared for her and passing out for the next twelve or so hours out of sheer exhaustion and having not had a proper night sleep in three weeks, the subject change peaked her interest. The idea that another intruder had been caught upon the island made her wonder if people had just simply gone crazy since she had left. How many people were truly brave enough or foolish enough as the case might be to want to make their way here? There were rumors of course about the place, and she had heard them since she was a young girl. She could remember many times when out with her father how she had pointed out the island to him, just barely able to see it among the mist and fog, only for her father to constantly remind her not to come here unless invited. He had always been weary, and for Maeve it had been a mystery as to why: her father had been a man who lived without fear of pain or dying, and yet it was Spider Island he had always spoken a warning about.

As Maeve listened to the conversation her head tilted to the right a bit much like the way a curious cats would: she was interested to see who had intruded upon the island, and she was curious if she would be welcome to. The question sort of answered itself when Chigetsu rose from his chair and patted her on the head - leaving behind a substance that she poked at curiously but without disgust and instead interest upon her face. Not wanting to be left behind, and figuring she would be shooed away if not welcome, Maeve slid forward on her own chair until her feet touched the floor before hurrying after Chigetsu and Haka. If nothing else this would also allow her to see more of the mansion as well, so two birds with one stone.
TOTAL WC
Total WC: 4,845

10The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Empty Re: The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:23 am

Haka Osada

Haka Osada

Retired
The Orphan of Ice [Chi, or Invite] Throne10

The 'throne room' was, in fact, more of an oddly build performance room. Cold marble stones paved the floor of the uncharacteristically lustrous area, granting plenty of room to dance or set up a performance. To the left and right, in a tribunal fashion, seats had been arranged for everyone to be capable of perceiving the performances taking place, with a single throne-like seat at the end of the room allowing the nobility of the manor to be seated and exert their 'royal' influence. Usually, this seat was taken by the Lord of the manor himself, Sero Osada, but with the man dormant as he recovered his own diabolic powers it was his daughter that tended to sit there. Haka, not so much inclined to act like the Lady she was supposed to be, had come to appreciate this area nonetheless as the acoustics were great when she played her grand piano and the large space made unexpectedly for a great training place in certain situations.

Today, her presence was not one of artistry or training. It was one of guiding two visitors to take care of unfinished business. When they stepped into the room, their 'business' would reveal itself rather quickly. In the middle of the floor, tightly wrapped in black silk-like webbing was a single human. Around him stood an Unmei and a black widow with whom Haka was more than familiar with; Hokori the Dreamweaver, who was part of Haka's personal Hunter-nin squad, and Ameya, her most trusted Summon and right-hand in most clan matters. The two, speaking in the arachnid tongue, were in a slightly heated conversation with each other and didn't not cease in the slightest when Haka stepped inside.

"Is this your bandit, Chigetsu? If so, feel free to play with him as long as you wish. Hokori can assist you on mental matters if you need her.", without much more than that, Haka moved to take a seat in the tribune from where she'd watch what would happen next after sharing a fair warning with the black widow who was already eyeing Maeve like she was some piece of walking food with an unmistakable hatred. "Ameya. The girl is a guest to the manor as by Sero's wishes. Touch her and you'll regret it."
"Ohoo, Ameya-dear, you really need to drop that hatred for humans. They can be so... exquisite, their screams of pain when you poke their skin with needles and ink is just to die for~.", the Unmei spoke almost beyond herself from ecstasy before she'd casually drift over to the girl to wrap an arm around her. "So young~. I know it's bad advice if we have to abide by the norms of society but I wouldn't say 'no' if you ever need a tattoo, ah... What's you name again? Mine's Hokori, Haka's favourite mind weaver~"
"Don't spout nonsense."
"Haaa? Oh, right. I suppose Noiralane holds that spot? Oh well, most favourite after her then~", she said while winking at Maeve.
"Your belief that I maintain such form of human relations is wrong if not amusing.", even though the usual apathy on her face had not changed in the slightest despite her words.
"Always so cold~", she said, feigning pain before drifting over to Chigetsu to flash him a bright smile. "Hi, Chi~. So, what are we going to do with this one today?"

As the arachnids of the house awaited the answers, watching calmly and patiently what the Hunter-nin in service would make of the webbed victim in the middle - no pressure - the black widow moved to take a position next to the aranean queen, hissing in displeasure for whatever Haka had seemingly done wrong in the eyes of the heartless executioner.

Total: 2'355

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.