You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Empty Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:58 am

Raiu Mizuki

Raiu Mizuki

Retired
Unfinished business. There was always unfinished business somewhere. It didn't suffice that Kumogakure had been in a ditch for years; foreign forces felt a need to meddle in the internal affairs of others. It didn't satisfy warmongers that there was already an entire Village destroyed; they still took up arms to eradicate the presence of all those they didn't consider 'them'. First there had been Mitsuo. Then there had been Hastur. Now there was Takao. All of them believed the world laid at their feet. That they were entitled to play 'god' and decide upon the existence of others. And always they had some form of an excuse that supposedly justified their own actions. Mere men who had failed to remember where they came from. Men who had forsaken their own humanity in delusions of grandeur. One could state such powers had a good side. They drove others to reach a higher standard. They pushed the oppressed to find an escape, and those who had the means to surpass their limit. To reach for a level that brought them on par with the insane. As if beating them within their own world made everything so much better. It always ended up the same way. More destruction, for humanity had yet to find mastery over their emotions and surpass their narrow-minded approaches. History repeated itself every time because they simply didn't learn. Because their hubris made them believe they could do 'so much better' than their predecessor - they simply didn't learn.

But this story was not about those who had left their stamp on the world with a bitter taste. This story was about what remained of Hastur's legacy. Their leader was dead. The Jashinists were scattered, seeking shelter and wanton destruction in desperation. Most of them resorted to raw violence and harrowing acts. Some were more cunning. Rumours drifted upon the streams of the air. Rumours about summoning Jashin himself. Rumours about summoning old legends. Rumours about taking Hastur's power and become the next 'thunder god'. It was hard to believe any of those could be successful, but wise warriors had learned that a cornered rat was far more dangerous than a fleeing one. That counted double when one of those rats was seeking the secrets of Black Raiton. With the death of Hastur, it was believed this rare form of raiton mastery had pretty much died out. Other than Hastur himself, there were no known practitioners of the black lightning. Many had looked up at the man's power; none had been given a piece of it. It was a dark day for the long-standing traditions of Kumogakure when Hastur died and took that old secret to his grave before one of his 'jewels' was given the privilege of learning it.

Until now.

The hermit sat quietly in the inn drinking her bowl of soup. Eavesdropping on a group of Jashinists that had been shadowed for quite some time now. Unlike many others of their kind, they kept a low profile rather than sacrificing dozens to their vile god, yet they were not searching for shelter or an escape. They had been doing some research, searching for old secrets. They spoke about Hastur and his black lightning. They shared the disappointment of the discovery that a place, once considered as holy to Kumogakure, had been completely destroyed by Hastur - in doing so, he had attempted to guarantee himself he'd be the last Raikage of Kumogakure, immortal in his presence. They frowned at the remark that the Forbidden Temple had seemingly been lost to the ages; the secrets of black lightning gone with it. Unknown to them, the truth was differently. There were those who still knew about the Forbidden Temple but wisely had decided to mention only to those who were deserving in their eyes. Foreigners such as most of the Jashinists did not categorise as 'worthy', as they, nor their families, were natives to the Land of Lightning. But that had not stopped them. Persistent search and indomitable will had eventually won the fight against a grave-like silence. A clue had been discovered, the shrine in the middle of the Trial of a Thousand Stairs being their starting point.

Mizuki knew the place all too well, and while she had never been shown where the Forbidden Temple was, she knew it existed. It was her solemn duty to make sure the place remained preserved and that it secrets did not fall within the hands of Jashinists lest there would come no end to the rise and fall of 'dark gods' such as Hastur. Black lightning had always belonged to Kumogakure, and it should not be different now. When the Jashinists concluded their discussion and left the inn, she knew they'd go looking for the Trial of Thousands Stairs. It was a well-hidden path many had forgotten as faith dwindled and the road was not used as much. That gave the hermit a slight advantage. Mizuki knew that path. Using that information to her advantage, she'd make sure to arrive at the old shrine before them, where she could stop them before they proceeded with their search.

Finishing her bowl of soup, she left some ryo as payment and stood up. Leaving the inn, the hermit flickered away to leave no traces and swiftly made her way to the entrance of the Trial. Not needing to search for it meant she had a straight path forward, and as a Raiu relying on speed she covered more distance than they could at the same time. A race against time began; the Trials honouring their name once more for the first time since time untold.

2Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Empty Re: Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:22 am

Raiu Mizuki

Raiu Mizuki

Retired
Trial of a Thousand Stairs

Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] 5161762dbfa3fad47d69456e625b6717-700

Hidden in the shadows of unnamed woods laid the 'old stairs that lead to nowhere'. A road no longer taken for it lead only into the deepest sections of Kami no Kuni's mountain ranges. Supposedly, the entrance to the road counted a 'thousand stairs' but having actually climbed those partially chiselled, partially natural stairs herself, Mizuki could say the name was not an accurate reflection of the actual numbers. The road there was broken in various sections, making it impassable for carts and even most travellers, and regular rocky avalanches made the already small road along the mountain flanks even more treacherous. It was supposed to be a pilgrim road snaking through the mountains. High spires on one side, endless depths on the other side. Left to the wiles of the winds and storms that raged through the earthen giants of the world on a frequent base. The 'Trial of a Thousand Stairs' had earned its name mostly because of those natural dangers, expecting pilgrims to endure the elements as they attempted to reach the shrine resting in the middle of the road - easily a full day walking. From that point on, it took another day before the road ended up in the Valley of Mountains, a known area within the Land of Earth.

Ending at the entrance of said stairs, Mizuki searched the environment for fresh traces. There were none. However, the cry of the grey hawk in the skies told her the others were not all that far off. Despite the advantage, the Jashinists had caught up rather well, the accuracy of their information better than anticipated. There was no time to lose. The hermit moved on, 'Hsien' threading the familiar stairway the hermit had walked a few times in the past. Dozens of stairs turning into hundreds, and soon the peaceful sound of birds was replaced with that of footsteps echoing across the wide corridor created by the mountains and the howl of a merciless wind blowing through it. Clothes wavered under the teasing of the wind. What had been an easy run was now taking some toll even on the hermit's trained physique. Mizuki could not relent; the secrets of the Forbidden Temple were not to fall in the hands of the wrong people.

A long trek of several hours later, the ruined temple of the forgotten kami came into vision. Just like she had left it when she returned from Iwagakure to bring in the leading forces of the resistance. The small temple lacked a proper door, leaving the interior open for the wind to play rough in it. The shoji doors were in dire need of repairs, each of the papers torn to shreds by the plaguing wind. Dust and dirt still covered most of the floor, along with a bit of rubble, leaving only the legless remains of a table neatly positioned. On top of that table, an incense stick in honour of the local kami had long since died out. The whole picture was familiar to the hermit who made a mental note to restore the shrine to full glory again some day. Now, as she was the first one to arrive, Mizuki kneeled before what was supposed to be the kamidana and meditated. Not only to recover her breathe and expended chakra, but mostly to prepare herself for the inevitable battle that was about to take place sooner than later.

Total: 1'529

3Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Empty Re: Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:09 am

Raiu Mizuki

Raiu Mizuki

Retired
Under the twilight sky they arrived at the ruined temple. A handful of Jashinists in search of the Forbidden Temple which was supposed to hold the secret to black lightning. They took had felt the toll of taking the long road through the mountains, now aiming to take a brief break from their venture before they set forward to the next phase in their plan. They would not been given that chance. Stepping out of the temple came Mizuki, the others instantly jumping to a battle stance as they were alerted by an unexpected presence. The calming aura of the hermit seemed to silence the surrounding wind to a point it left some of them disoriented, but one of them stepped forward.

"Mizuki.", he acknowledged her. "I was not aware you would be here."
"I have been seeking enlightenment in solitude quite often lately. What brings you lot here?"
"Business.", he said in a reserved way before the stern gaze of the Herald nudged him to more. "We have found a means to bolster our forces. The Key to Hastur's power."
"Hastur is dead. He took his secrets with him to his grave."
"Not all of them.", the Jashinist said with a grin. "We dug for treasures. And found one."
"Oh, so you seek to replace the dark god now? Is this your way of repaying him?"
"N-no! You don't get it! If even one of us could learn what he knew and wield the power of the Kaminari, we could act as if his dead was nothing but a ruse. Imagine what a blow that would deliver to our enemies. Surely you understand this, don't you?"
"I do. However, my loyalty lies with the Raikage and my Village. Not with Jashin. With Hastur's death, I'm bound to protect the secrets of this Land. And foreigners of the Country of Lightning are not entitled to the secrets of the Forbidden Temple."
"Forbidden...? So you already know about this legend?"
"Enough to know it is not just a legend, therefore enough to stop you from reaching it. I kindly ask you to reconsider. Cease your desecration and leave these grounds."
"We... can't do that."
"Then I am sorry. You will have to kill me or take those ambitions with you to your grave."

Realising their predicament, the speaker nodded. He passed on what he had uncovered on information to the others, instructing them to jump into the depths where they'd find the entrance to the Forbidden Temple if they survived the fall. Once there, it'd be up to them to figure out the way ahead. The others nodded and as the speaker stepped forward to face the hermit, they proceeded with their goals. What little advantage Mizuki had now lost as she could not deal with this man and chase them at the same time.

"To think it comes to this point...", the Jashinist spoke as he twirled his staff.
"Some things are not meant to be."
"I've heard of your prowess. I don't stand a chance. But where I give my life, the others may yet succeed. Not all is lost."
"I may hold little love for the twisted ways of Jashin but I can respect this action. Kneel and will grant you a swift execution."
"Tempting, but no thanks."

At those words, the Jashinist moved in for the kill. Staff twirling, he'd lash out of the blue at the hermit on several occasions. Missing her by a hair, offence was just as swiftly turned into defence as he seamlessly wove attacks with his impenetrable defence. But he already knew his predicament. In a one on one duel with the heiress of the Heaven Sword style, there was little chance on victory when it came to mere weapon skill. Even if her style was inspired on samurai duels, the Heaven Sword style remained merciless against similar fights. Channelling chakra into her katana, Mizuki would show him why exactly that was. With one swift movement, Seiun was drawn from its scabbard and ruthlessly collided with the staff as the Jashinist blocked the strike to the best of his efforts. Upon contact, the superior quality of the katana already proved its efficiency by cracking the weapon. Surprised at the ease with which the blade had cut into the staff, his worst fears came to reality as the echo of her strike followed up and tore the staff asunder.

"You are ill-fit for this duel, Jashinist."

Holding the splintered remains of his staff, he blinked for a moment as Death breathed down his neck in this very moment. Not giving up just yet, he formed his own set of hand seals, taking a deep breath and spit out a jet of fire into the hermit's direction. Seiun, fuelled by her chakra still, retaliated in kind. Protected by chakra, it clove the blaze in twain within her hands, and granted a path between her and the Jashinist that she did not left to waste. One swift dash forward, Seiun pierced his flesh, chest and heart. One twist of the katana later, the man clutched the purple katana as he watched his life slip away. Viewing one last time the milestones that had marked his life before his soul was lifted to meet his chosen god.

The corpse of her opponent slipped off Seiun and was promptly incinerated to dust at the hands of the hermit. There was no point in leaving a corpse to fester near a temple, no matter how dilapidated it looked. And in dusting it, Mizuki was fairly certain the Jashinist would not return to the living so easily; their immortal secrets still as elusive as their god. Sweeping the blood of her katana in a traditional fashion, the katana was sheathed and the hermit moved to stand at the border of the road. Blue-green eyes peered into the endless depths created by the mountains around her. There really seemed to be no end to this fall. And yet, she could not lose any more time as the other Jashinist had already gained too much of an advantage.

Taking one last deep breath, Mizuki lept into the depths.

Total: 2'571

395/420, 140/140
- 25 : Heaven Sword - Heaven Torn Asunder [non-element]

4Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Empty Re: Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:15 pm

Raiu Mizuki

Raiu Mizuki

Retired
Forbidden Temple, entrance

Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] 6fcb3eec27638cd6e451f3de4604ac1c

The whistling wind had made room for the roaring sound of a cascading waterfall. The air felt humid to the touch, cold and smelled of dust and decay. All seemed otherwise quiet. It was the first time Mizuki stepped upon the grounds of the Forbidden Temple and for a moment its mystical existence captivated her long enough to lose all sense of the world. An old construct, a pit surrounded by empty buildings lead deeper into the stone feet of the mountains. The Temple was underground, protected by unknown defensive mechanisms. The footsteps of the Jashinists vaguely echoed around her, betraying that they had already continued their journey. There was no saying how far they had reached at this point; only telling the kunoichi that she could not dally for too long.

However, jumping down into the pit was not in order just yet. Just as she was about to do so, the light of activated explosion tags forced her into the defensive. They were all around her. A massive chain-reaction caused an equally massive explosion to resonate within the fissure. Alerting the Jashinists in an instant, and calling forth an avalanche along the slope. For several seconds, the earth rumbled and the angry sound of the world silenced all others. Those foolish enough to listen to the rumbling were quickly deafened altogether. A moment later, quietude had returned. As far as the roar of a waterfall was to be considered 'quiet'. Protected by a lightning barrier, Mizuki emerged from under the settling dust and was pushing away the rocks that had toppled all around her. She quietly sighed in exasperation, feeling her peace of mind rather disturbed by the rude (though efficient) approach of the Jashinists. Then, just as she was dusting herself off, shards of stone flew to her direction and crashed against the barrier.

"Hahaaaa...! It took me some time but I think it's well orchestrated. Did you like my explosions?"
"I never understood what Hastur saw in your boundless attitude, and I suppose I never will."
"You wound me, Mizuki-chan."
"I'm certain you'll survive, Jashinist."
"The name's Azai, by the way. Don't forget me after you send me to Jashin."
"We'll see about that, Azai-san."

The hermit moved. Hopping from one boulder to another, running up the stone walls as Hsien carried her intent. Closing the gap. The Jashinist didn't seem kind on close quarter combat, trying to his best to keep distance from someone faster than him. More stone shards were flung in her direction, and dodged as she hopped to the other mountain foot. As she closed in, she formed hand seals of her own, summoning raiton spears as she did so. Closer still, she'd fire the first of the raiton spears at Azai, watching how it collided with his earthen barrier. Breaking it down and throwing up dust. Sufficient a cover for her to take her advantage even further. As Azai coughed and tried to spot the blur of movement through the dust, a second javelin found his presence. Again, he blocked it despite his elemental disadvantage, creating even more dust in the process. The last raiton projectile was fired for a last diversion. Forcing him to jump aside and into Mizuki's trajectory. Before he realised it, the jounin's strength slammed her fist full force into the man. With a shattered jaw bone, he crashed into the mountain a few meters further, creating an impressive crater of about 15m radius in the process before he tumbled down. Out cold, he flopped into the ground like a ragdoll and fell to his death, head first.

Mizuki confirmed his death, slowly sighing. Were it not for their indoctrination in the Jashin faith, they could have made fine shinobi. Their devotion was admirable if not misplaced. Hastur had far more to repent for; his death a solace in comparison to what he deserved for all the atrocities he had done to the people and the forces of Kumogakure. Or others, for that matter.

Total: 3'251

375/420, 140/140 | -5 raiton chakra cost
- 10 : Lesser Polarity Shield
- 10 : Javelin
Hysterical strength

Last edited by Raiu Mizuki on Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Empty Re: Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:37 pm

Raiu Mizuki

Raiu Mizuki

Retired
Forbidden Temple, Antechamber

Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] 2fef9d488597f96dfbef67b9b5e15240

Stepping into the antechamber was like stepping into a different world. All sound fell away to make room for an ominous feeling. The same feeling that had come years ago when she stood in the presence of the black raiton rods. There was no mistaking it; this was the place. The Jashinists had again moved ahead, leaving one of theirs behind. The girl was stuck to the walls, black lances piercing her body and the wall at the same time. Breathing heavily as she endured the pain from her open wounds. Blood dripped from her skin, soaking her clothes wet, and dripped on the floor. Slowly she noticed the presence of the hermit, blinking against reality itself as she tried to focus.

"Th-they went ahead..."

Her voice was weak, urging Mizuki to come closer and analyse the situation in an attempt to provide help. In the eyes of the merciful executioner, none deserved a fate such as this and as such she swore softly under her breath for the cowardice the others had proven today. Sacrifices, all for the sake of an old power that would possibly tear them to pieces anyway.

"I can help you out.", Mizuki stated as she rested her hand on one of the black spears. A soft hum betrayed the lingering presence of chakra in the spear, pain shot through her arm as she grabbed it solidly. Gritting her teeth, Mizuki bit back the pain and pulled one of the spear loose. The same material as the rods, simply not attuned. Or however Hastur had wanted to call it.

"J-jus' leave me."
"You're not dead yet, Jashinist"
"Pointless. Th-there's no... way back. Jash... in comes... for all of us."
"Y'all mistake faith for a zealous lifestyle. Had you been lead by clarity instead of a false god, perhaps you could have lived alongside people.", she replied as she pulled out the next spear out of the body. It was a race against time, as the removal of the spears further opened the wounds. Unfortunately, as the last spear was pulled out, the girl had already died and fell into the arms of the hermit. She laid the girl down and closed her eyes. Another unnecessary death.

"In the end, we all die the same way."

The gates towards the inner section were open. The last remaining two members of the group had moved on. If the black raiton spears were any indication, they'd soon be facing all sorts of traps intended to keep intruders away. As was supposed to be the case, the power of legends was not just for anyone to be harnessed. Trials were intended to erase the weak and dissuade the meek. As the hermit wondered in what state she'd find back the remaining Jashinists, she moved through the opened gates to give chase.

Total: 3'731

6Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Empty Re: Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:20 am

Raiu Mizuki

Raiu Mizuki

Retired
Forbidden Temple, Lost Corridor

Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] D8e93befb701c932d17a2ab052e275a2

There had been quite a lot of movement here. The dust that had once come to terms with solitude had been swept up by the two remaining Jashinists. They had not just passed through. The debris and rubble that laid around and the decapitated stone statues revealed there had been quite a lively battle just recently. In the distance, the silhouette of a Jashinist was briefly visible, sneering from a distance at the hermit who was gaining terrain with every new encounter that halted them. Being ahead in an unexplored temple seemed to have its drawbacks but much like the hermit, neither they could cease to move on at this point. They were close to reaching the the heart of the temple where their precious secrets awaited them.

Giving chase, the hermit dashed over the remnants, through the hallway and the door where she had seen the silhouette of the Jashinists. The moment she reached the doorway, she caught the sound of more battling and the moment she caught up to them her eyes took notice of the two Jashinists fighting with stone guardians. In between the swing of swords and stone fists, they'd spot the arrival of the hermit and swore at the imposed difficulty that brought with them. Sagely, the hermit waited at the entrance of the corridor, sparing her energy as she watched the situation infold. There was no need to meddle in the affairs of the guardians, she too to be considered an intruder for all she knew. However, as time progressed an inevitable victory for the Jashinists drew closer as they dealt with the guardians. Even before the last guardian crumbled under their skill, Mizuki closed the gap between her and the two invaders.

The hermit found the early advantage as she engaged the two fatigued cultists. Superior reflexes and speed deftly dodged their attempts to fend her off, feet swiping the first off his feet before focusing in full on the second. For a while the hermit was bravely holding out against the two on her own but as they adapted to fighting a shinobi, the tables were slowly being turned. The skill between the two Jashinists was slowly bleeding through. The first one reaching about the level of a special jounin, the other one not all that different from her own. Fewer hits connected the female Jashinist who danced through the strikes, and those who did connect, were endured with greater ease than the last remaining male. The eyes of the iryo-nin noticed that the woman had suffered less damage in their fight with the guardians even though she acted just as exhausted. A ruse. The moment Mizuki caught on, the A-rank Jashinist disengaged from combat. Preoccupied with the B-rank, she'd gather chakra for a devastating blast. Frigid cold betrayed the activation of her technique, all warmth being sapped from the air around her before wind chakra was unleashed. Her companion looked at her in disbelieve, emotions of betrayal clear on his face before his last breath was taken with him in this final act. The whole corridor, including the B-rank and Mizuki turned bright white under the shout of, "Winter Wind: Woes of Skadi.".

When the winter wind had come to pass, the Jashinist had left the scene. The corridor was practically wiped clean, rubble and ruin blown towards the entry of the corridor and amassed on massive piles. As the last sparks of her defensive technique died out, blue-green eyes spotted the streams of blood dripping within the rock piles. Her companion had not made it, killed either by the vicious slashes of the wind itself or the collision of the rocks, the piles had entombed him. Another victim for the sake of Kaminari's power; Mizuki found the price getting quite steep at this point.

Total: 4'373

355/420, 140/140 | -5 raiton chakra cost
- 15 : Polarity Shield
- 05 : Raiton to Ranton

7Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Empty Re: Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:43 pm

Raiu Mizuki

Raiu Mizuki

Retired
Forbidden Temple, Trial of Ascension

Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Tj-foo10

Cautiously, the Jashinist moved on to the centre of the room. Here it was. The Trial of Ascension where the power over black raiton would be made hers. Maryssa had expected a pedestal of sorts. Holding a scroll with the secrets on how to get it, but instead there was just an empty space in front of stairs leading to what looked like a mirror. When she reached the middle, she looked up as if expecting lightning to strike her on the spot, but other than a solemn quietude there was nothing to be found at a first glance. Taking out the notes she had, she flipped through the pages in search of something. Anything. A note that would help her forward perhaps, a scribble of a thought that was caught yet forgotten. Nothing. Throwing the pages to the ground, she stomped in frustration and ran her hand through her short hair. Was this gods be damned all there was to it? An empty area? No. She remembered well the words of the hermit that had confirmed the existence of this temple, so there had to be something. Then she spotted it. In front of the mirror, a robed entity.

Bingo.

She'd address the presence, who in response moved closer. Walking down the stairs until it had the last step. Asking what was to come, the robed figure didn't reply, and the moment she decided in approaching the figure, black raiton shot out of the sky. Brutally striking her, she was forced down to her knees as she had not expected its power. Clothes cindered, fumes rose from her scorched body. Lucky for her she was no push-over, knowing well that such a hit would have killed just about every of her other allies. She had known though. She had known since she had beholden the power attracted by the black raiton rods. The black clouds, the black thunder, that black power that had made her heart race; a heart she had believed to be dead for so long. To think the person who had brought these rods to the countries now was of a mind to stop her from succeeding her greatest hero... Maryssa should her head. No, unlike many others who could not see the vision of unity Hastur wanted for the world, she knew she had to go on. For the sake of the world. For Jashin. For Hastur who had paved the road of possibilities. She'd have to become the next 'dark god'. And so she did.

Rising back to her feet, she'd defy the cloaked figure. Strengthening her resolve as she raised her chin. Her request was answered. A second bolt, possibly fiercer than the first sent her reeling again, the whole room blinded in darkness for just a fraction of a second. It trembled under the fury of the temple, reminding mortals such as herself exactly why this was a place not to be sullied by the meek and worthless. Maryssa, forced to kneel once more, felt its dark violence course through her body. Eradicating her raiton chakra as an impurity to impose itself within her system. Her body refused to respond, left to the mercy of a third strike that smote her flat on the ground. Divine punishment as it were, for her transgressions. She cried out in agony.

Thunder roared through the hallways. The ritual had begun, clarifying that Mizuki had been too late to stop them. Black raiton fell once again in the hands of the Jashinists; the legacy of the dark god not extinguished just yet. When she arrived within the inner section of the temple, those fears indeed took form as Maryssa rose to her feet, beads of perspiration still visible on her face. She looked in the direction where the figure had stood to find nothing at all, and then proceeded to face Mizuki. A wry smile crossed Maryssa's face as she lifted her hands in self-gratifying victory.

"I hate it to break it to you but... before you stands the rightful heir to the dark god's promise."
"You have my respect. It is no mean feat to pass the Trial of Ascension from what I heard. However, I must apologise for my necessity to stop you nonetheless. Hastur may be a god to you but he brought naught but suffering and distress to his own people."
"Silence! You like so many others simply do not see the grand paradise he had in sight! All could have lived under his rule and find a place. Faith would not have mattered! For once, we too would be beholden a home. A home you and your treacherous morons just had to destroy, didn't you?"
"No. You misunderstood our intentions. We did not come to stop faith. We came to stop the zealous onslaught on the world. The sacrifice of innocence who did not ask to be indoctrinated. The persistent terror on the weak. And the tyrannic conquering of civilisations where rightful punishment would not have had a place."
"Oh spare me. You were the one who heralded his name. You were the one who invited us in! You knew well enough what this was about!"
"Hastur promised protection and the restoration of Kumogakure's martial glory. He never spoke of this. He never spoke of death and destruction as far as the eyes could see."
"You can not achieve unity without sacrifices. Had you not been so naive, you would have known."
"You are right. I was naive. Blinded by the suffering and loss of my family. But having grown out of that, I understood that it was my duty to right the mistakes I have made. I brought this upon the world, so it goes without say that I should do what I can to remove this infection before I find punishment for my transgressions."
"Infection?! You said too much... Let me show you the power I now hold. The key with which Hastur's dreams will be fulfilled..."

Black chakra filled Maryssa's hands before it violently lashed out at the hermit. Ducking just in time, she'd see the lance of energy crackle against the wall of the temple and bite a good chunk out of it. Despite raising her arms to shield herself against the flying debris that came loose from the collision, pieces scraped across her skin.

"How do you like this, huh?!"
"Raw power without the discipline to direct it is a waste of potential.", she retorted while running up the walls to circle around her opponent; the three pillars of the Raiu Dojo well imprinted within her mind as they had been repeated over and over again in the course of years. Her father had always said that a man with all power but no mastery could still lose from a rival with less power but with mastery. Quality above quantity, simply said. While there was no doubt the female Jashinist was not to be trifled with, it looked very much like she made the same mistake many of her fellow dead allies did - they relied too much on their god; or rather, they relied too much on external power rather than internal mastery.

Bolt after bolt of black raiton crashed into the stone walls near her, tearing chunks of old stone from the mountain in which the temple was built. Desecrating a temple that should never have been found. Drunk on power and blinded by hatred, it looked like nothing was to be spared in the desperate attempt to restore a dream they had shattered by their own brazen actions. But it was hard to feel pity for a fallen empire when they flung death bolts at you like they were handing out candies. Feeling a need to take off some pressure, Mizuki formed hand seals of herself and fired back. The bright light of her Laser Circus opposing the inky darkness of Kaminari, the beam split into a multitude of tiny spears that forced Maryssa to cease her onslaught and move from her position in turn. Burning the ground where she had stood, the storm beams had not succeeded at hitting their target.

Pushing herself off of the wall towards the new position of Maryssa, Mizuki rested her hand on Seiun, ready to swiftly slash through the woman as soon as she was within striking distance. Her offence was met with a strong defence, raiton chakra fired at the hermit in a straight line. Drawing her katana prematurely, Seiun would eat the raiton chakra in defence of Mizuki, proving exactly why it was named the 'Immortal Blade' by coming out of the clash unscathed. With her iaijutsu denied, Mizuki landed next to Maryssa instead, following up instantly with a vertical slash which the Jashinist avoided by jumping backwards to create distance between the two.

"Why don't you die already?"
"May I remind you that I'm not unfamiliar with black raiton?"
"The rods are nothing compared to the real thing."
"I beg to differ."

The hermit could know. The power called forward by the black raiton rods were nothing the sort she had ever met. Not then, not ever after had she faced a technique or power that rivalled it in the slightest. Even Takao's 'Rasenshuriken' technique she was forced to deal with in the Siege of Inabayama was but a breeze in the wind compared to the unfathomable energy the rods had revealed. While the question of how Hastur had ever been able to get his hands on such rods would remain forever unanswered, the fact remained that Mizuki's perceptions about power were different from many others in life - one boasted myth no one would ever be capable of breaking about Hastur was that, indeed, he might well have been one of the most powerful men by far to have walked the Sagaverse to this day.

No time left to to bicker, Maryssa recreated a signature technique often associated with the black thunder - the Black Panther Technique. Crackling with pure malice, these panthers didn't hesitate to rush towards Mizuki, carving a path within the temple grounds where they set their chakra feet. Their movement speed was terrifying for a B-rank to say the least. With little time to fend of the chakra beasts, Mizuki called upon an old technique to defend herself. Not one that would suffice to break the incoming panthers but one that would suffice to weaken them. The rest would be up to the hermit, the notorious 'Lightning Demon of Iwagakure' as the bandits of the Infinity Gang had come to know her. Releasing raw raiton chakra all around her, Starlight Extinction clashed with the black thunder panthers. Stripped of most impact power, they nonetheless struck the hermit as they shrugged off her own counter-technique.

"Got you.", Maryssa grinned, believing she had found a way to deal with the hermit. Early victory was soon stripped as the hermit rose to her feet with barely a scratch, leaving the Jashinist blinking in disbelieve. Dusting off herself and Doku Kyo, the hermit's trusted cloak, her blue-green eyes bore into that of the Jashinist with the spark of willpower only few had seen from the young woman. "This is not possible..."
"Allow me to enlighten you as to why this is no miracle. I am the daughter of a Kaminari and a Raiu. Either by blood or by experience, of all elements, raiton is the least favourable choice you could have made. As I came to tell you, I'm not unfamiliar with black raiton. It is, for all its legendary power, still raiton."

As if she had been knocked down from a pedestal, Maryssa seemed to sober up at those words. She eyed the hands that had fired off the lightning of legends and allowed the words of the hermit to sink in. A soft nod showed her understanding, and new resolve flickered with the Jashinist's eyes.

"I should have known Hastur didn't take just anyone to spread his name. Allow me to correct my mistake; I won't be underestimating you any longer, Herald."
"Hastur is dead. I'm no longer his Herald."
"You can tell that himself once I'm done with you."

When the words were spoken, lightning tendrils coursed around her body as if to recharge the woman. Then, stretching her hands upwards, she allowed the lightning to carve out the rocks above Mizuki, forcing an avalanche of rocks on top of the woman. Jumping away to the best of her abilities, the rocks were simply too big and too many to fully dodge the collapse. Seeing her self trapped, she'd summon a clone of herself under the cover of a forming dust cloud, push it out of harm's way and allow the rocks to bury the original. Allowing her clone to keep up appearances, Mizuki kneeled under the cover of the rocks and meditated to allow herself a moment of repose. It would be up to her clone now to handle things for a while.

Total: 6'565

Spoiler:

8Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Empty Re: Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:49 am

Raiu Mizuki

Raiu Mizuki

Retired
With a brief look of shock, the clone took a look at the mass of stones behind her where the original was trapped in. It was a confusing thought to be saved from the falling debris just to have the real Mizuki get stuck underneath it. Raiton hardly suffered a problem against such cave-ins, and since the clone maintained existence it was clear the original was not unconscious. Concluding there was a plan behind the hiding, the clone turned her head to lock eyes with the smirking Jashinist.

"I suppose if direct lightning doesn't work that I have to try something differently."
"I've heard worse ideas."

Watching black spears being formed from thin air, Maryssa began throwing them after the clone one by one. Another chase began, and Mizuki was forced to dodge and zig-zag through the spears. A strategy none different than what she had dealt with in the beginning, and thus one that the clone was suspicious of. No one at the rank of jounin would attempt a similar strategy twice, right? Just to make sure she had a safety net, a minuscule amount of chakra was left to stick upon a rather large piece of rock as she passed in. She had a plan for another attempted attack on the Jashinist but it'd take some preparation in the form of diversions. Furthermore, the clone had to take into account that the original was most likely abiding her time as well. Whatever the plan was, all they could do was trust on the fact they knew each other well enough to basically read each other's mind.

Running up the walls to change her direction all of a sudden, Clonezuki changed the course of a predictable action. If Maryssa wanted to cave-in the whole place, then the clone would gladly help her knowing that it'd only serve a double-edged sword. The added benefit was that throwing spears upwards was not as easy a feat as throwing them in an arcing direction, adding another layer of protection if not a small one. Eventually reaching the ceiling of the Trials of Ascension, she'd look down on the Jashinist who looked up at her in measured disgust. Maryssa had caught onto the ruse. Forming a set of hand seals in answer, she inhaled deeply before blowing out a vicious wind that easily buffeted the whole upper region. From the looks of the walls, the wind was sharp enough to carve small cuts into it, betraying a precision that'd leave little whole of the clone should she get hit. It was at that moment the substitution technique activated. Much to the Jashinist's surprise, her fuuton technique would slice up a solid brick of rock, carving it up into a cluster of smaller ones in doing so. The rain of rocks made Maryssa swear as she hopped aside to dodge the debris she had involuntarily created, only to be caught off-guard by the chirping of a thousand birds - chidori. Running in with the notorious technique in hand, the cutting-edge raiton was a blinding spectacle and sufficiently a threat even in its base form that the Jashinist once again formed hand seals. Chidori would meet a solid opposition as a nigh-invisible wind spear was thrown in its direction.

It was well known that wind chakra was superior to lightning chakra for its insulating ability but to see chidori cleave the wind spear in part before the rest of the raiton died out to disperse the spear was a worrying sight nonetheless. The mere thought that Mizuki's lightning was strong enough to even oppose its natural weakness made Maryssa take a step back. With every new exchange, more was being revealed of the actual power the hermit held at bay behind layers of discipline, making the Jashinist wonder for the first time if she actually stood a chance after all.

"You keep surprising.", she said, hoping to stall some time as she thought of a new strategy.
"Thank you. Creativity is a much needed skill for any shinobi."
"So it seems.", she said with an air of nonchalance. "This fight is becoming a real drag. You are becoming a real drag. I'd say it is high time we end this farce."
"Agreed. If I didn't know better, I might come to believe you are running out of tricks or chakra."
"What do you take me for?! Look at you, hardly breaking a sweat."
"Don't sell yourself short just because I'm more experienced. It would be foolish of me to underestimate someone of your skill. Double so as I noticed that you stuck to B-rank equivalent techniques. I'm fairly certain your trump card have yet to be revealed."
"You are right. I think it's time we correct this."

No ninjutsu this time. Maryssa dashed forward, engaging the clone. With remarkable speed, she denied the clone's chance to draw her katana and struck her firmly with a solid knee. Hand to hand combat; not a specialisation Mizuki was good at but not one she was shy for. Weapons or fists, it all remained the same. Letting go of the thought of drawing her katana, Clonezuki and Maryssa went hard to hard with each other, exchanging blows at rapid pace, dodging some, pushing some to the side. The strength with which they fought and the endurance the boasted to deal with such blows was nothing to scoff at. The difference in hand to hand combat became apparent as Maryssa was gaining the upper hand - this was her domain, and she knew it. Little by little the clone was being driven back. In doing so, it subtle guided Maryssa away from the rubble pile under which the original rested until there was pretty much no room for escape left. Allowing the moral victory, the clone would seemingly fail to properly protect itself, suffering a solid combo from the Jashinist that resulted in the clone getting hammered into the mountain wall.

"Had I known you were this bad in close quarter, I'd have fought you like this first."

Seemingly out of breath, the clone remained silent, watching how hand seals were formed. She recognised that technique, having seen it before in the corridor. A 'winter wind' was summoned to inflict the 'Woes of Skadi', but as the technique was executed the clone suddenly disbanded in a puff of smoke. The frigid wind lacerated empty air and old rocks as a result; Maryssa screeching in frustration.

Sensing the clone's existence had ended, Mizuki rose to her feet as Maryssa screeched. She grabbed her trusted bow, jumped up high from under the debris and instantly creating three more clones as dust and debris briefly hampered sight. Four Mizuki's armed their bow with a ranton arrow, and as they reached the zenith of their jump released their projectiles. Caught off-guard, the first two arrows narrowly missed her as she rolled away, the third arrow went clean through her stomach and the fourth one struck her upper arm, crippling it in the process of flying through it. Then, the clones disappeared again to leave Mizuki by herself. Sealing Artemis again, Mizuki rested her hand once more on her katana.

"If we had all the answers in life, it'd be pointless to live it. We'd already know how the story would go, and how it would end. Do you think that while knowing the errors you'll make in the future, you'd be capable of avoiding them when we humans are not even capable of learning from our past yet?"

Before the Jashinist's eyes, the appearance of the hermit considerably changed as an unrivalled grace and resplendence settled in. Her sage form looked like she had transcended mortal ideology to take on a divine aspect - that of a kami. A storm kami known as 'Arashihime'. The light which had opposed Hastur's darkness; the storm goddess waging war with the thunder god. Rising to her feet as she held her crippled arm, the smell of burned flesh and heated blood pervaded the Jashinist's immediate area.

"Eventually, the answer does not matter. Right or wrong... Yin and Yang will always remain balanced, no matter how knowledgeable you are. I advice you concede now. Hastur is dead, his dark Eden has crumbled."
"So you want me to crawl under a rock and return to a life of hiding?"
"No, I wished you and your kin would see the use in a different path that does not bring bloodshed and the sacrifice of innocence for your own gains."
"Ahahah! Such naive visions you hold onto still. There is no room for peaceful sacrifice in Jashin's religion."
"It is regrettable to hear this."

Mizuki walked closer. The Jashinist could oppose all she wanted at this point, but it'd only be a delay of the inevitable. The fight was over. Black Raiton had not helped her. Still, Maryssa did not concede. Half hand seals molded her chakra and in a last desperate attack, she'd let loose a massive beam of black chakra in Mizuki's direction. Reflexively, the hermit stretched her index and middle finger, allowing the black raiton chakra to strike her as it was attracted by her technique. Black fury proceeded to ravage her tenketsu as it was channelled towards an exit. Pulling back her one hand, Mizuki outstretched her other hand with quite some effort as she bit back the pain she experienced, and ultimately returned the same devastating power to Maryssa.

Her own technique used against her, Maryssa died by the power she so coveted.

Total: 8'189

Clonezuki, 115/135 - POOF!:
Mizuki, 265/420, 125/140:

9Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Empty Re: Kaminari: Light and Shadows [Plot] Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:47 am

Raiu Mizuki

Raiu Mizuki

Retired
With a groan, Mizuki flopped down on the ground. Everything hurt. Muscles, skin, chakra network. Dealing with raiton was nothing new to her but the sensation it left behind to accept and send back foreign chakra remained uncomfortable if anything. Even with Doku Kyo and the mitigating effects of her own jutsu, the insanity behind her kinjutsu remained real. A technique such as this was extremely dangerous and was not even supposed to exist. Perhaps a part of Hastur's insanity had rubbed off on his formal Herald, after all. To top it off, not only had she been close to black raiton, she had also come to experience it and wield it herself. Shaking her head at the irony of it all, the confrontation of how much she resembled the fallen god was striking; the only difference between him and her being that she disliked the idea of deifying herself. Unlike Hastur, she felt mortal in every sense of the word. And that mortality felt good. It was the power that drove her to keep an eye out on the weaker within Kumogakure's society. That connection with life itself that kept her going.

Having caught her breath again, she'd move to sit in seiza, her default meditating pose. From there out, the Noblesse Sage channelled benevolent chakra as she formed her hand seals, focusing the whole restorative power within herself to restore the inner workings of her body and tenketsu. The feeling of searing pain was slowly replaced by that of a refreshing zephyr which brought the sprinkle and warmth of spring spirits. When her body was relieved of its stress, the senjutsu chakra dissipated all together. Mizuki returned to the semblance of a mortal. Opening her eyes, she'd see a presence that had previously not been there. A robed person, face hidden, stood still on the lowest staircase that towards the mirror. Rising to her feet, she cautiously moved closer, ready to defend herself if the being proved dangerous.

"You'd make a fine guardian."
"Ah... Excuse me?"
"Why did you not seek to harness Kaminari's power?"
"It bears an ill wind."
"The mind of the predecessors proved too weak. They were consumed by its power."
"Yet they were granted the privilege."
"All power comes at a price. Some are durable enough to delay that cost. Others... Not so much.", the presence eyed the dead Jashinist. "Kaminari is a destructive force. If either the mind or the body proves too weak, it will tear them apart."
"I can not say I know much about it other than what has been told to me as a legend, but after what I have seen and experienced, i'm glad it will remain locked within this temple."
"Do you worry you would not be strong enough to wield it?"
"Yes, and I also worry others hereafter will not be capable of withstanding the corruption that comes with its power."
"Then it will pain you to know Kaminari's already within your essence, child."
"W-what?"
"In your last act you allowed the black raiton to shape you. And you used it against your enemy. By all definitions, you have passed the ritual. Physical duress, chakra prowess. Now all that there is left for you is to have a will stronger than its corruption."

And with those words, the presence vanished as if a genjutsu had been dispelled, leaving the Raiu behind with an unexpected power. Black Raiton. One unspoken question lingered in the air now.

To what purpose would it serve if not to subjugate the world?

[EXIT]

Total: 8'789
- 6'300 : Black Raiton (30% wc reduction  | Genius + affinity)
- 2'000 : S-rank Blossoming Nebula
- 400 : E-rank Storm Mastery
Discarted rest

255/420, 105/140:

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.