You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Patrol: Gate Duty II (C-Rank Mission) Empty Patrol: Gate Duty II (C-Rank Mission) Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:52 am

Rokumaru

Rokumaru

D-rank
"Roku, ya scrawny bastard! How've ya been?" Hayo pulled the grinning redhead into a quick hug and slapped his back with a meaty palm, Rokumaru returning it quick while trying to regain the breath lost from the pat. It was early morning in the sleepy village of Suna and the Genin had pulled another shift of gate duty, and the boy was a bit sad to see the guard he was replacing was the jolly Chuunin Kōga Hayo. The man was a pro at watching the gate for suspicious figures and was a damn fine companion to pass the time with, and Roku was hoping he could work with the man for his shift. Alas, Hayo had been working since a bit after midnight, putting his people skills to waste as not many travelers approached in the dark Kaze no Kuni night, and it was his time to head back home and catch up on sleep.

Roku was dropped from Hayo's crushing hug and stepped back, smiling despite the creaking in his ribs, and greeted the rotund man. "Watchful old Hayo, guarding the gates as usual. Wish we could've worked a second shift together but you're family must be missing your ugly mug." It may have sounded hurtful but that was just the humor the two men shared: playful jabs with true affection hidden underneath.

The large Chuunin hid a yawn behind his hand and looked up at the rising sun, quickly determining the time to be early after 6 A.M. "Maybe next time, boy, I've got the Mrs. waiting for me back at home." He handed off his Wireless Radio to the pale Sabaku teen, then clapped a hand on his shoulder. "You still owe me drinks, Roku. I'll be expecting a visit one of these days. You're a Genin, I know how much time you lot have on your hands." Hayo grinned, thinking of a fitting barb. "Or in your hands, in your case." He accompanied a hearty laugh with a quick jerking motion of his hands.

Roku placed the Wireless Radio in his left jacket pocket and scowled, not liking his recreational habits being pointed out audibly. "Yeah, yeah, I'll visit soon Kōga. I bet your daughter's eager to meet the Son of Sand after all she's heard." Hayo scoffed at the boy's nickname for himself, giving a light punch to Roku's arm for the daughter comment that caused the boy to groan in pain, and pulled the boy in for another hug in farewell. Hayo was a friendly guy like that so Roku thought nothing of it.

Until Hayo leaned his head in close to the redhead's ear and whispered. "Keep an eye on that other guard, boy," he spoke softly to Roku under his breath, subtly gesturing with an elbow at he tall and thin bald man leaning against the sandstone arch watching the two. "He's been acting shady all night like he's waiting for something. Anything goes down, call in for backup." With that warning given to the boy Hayo pulled back from the hug, returning to his jolly and carefree nature, and with a clap on Roku's shoulder in passing entered the village to walk home.

Rokumaru watched Hayo fade away into the streets before turning to look at the lanky guard who was watching him silently. Hayo was never one to misunderstand or misconstrue someone's intentions, and though Roku thought the man's body language looked bored and casual he trusted the older Chuunin's judgement. The pale teen patted his pockets to account for his Wireless Radio, the kunai in his pants and the shuriken pouch behind his back. He was as prepared for trouble as much as he could be at the moment, so Roku decided it was time to get to work.

The boy walked over to the opposite arch-column from the one the tall guard was leaning against, and leaned back himself to get comfortable. The two gate guards were still eyeing each other in an uncomfortable manner, so Roku decided to break the ice. "Rokumaru," he called out to his counterpart today, who responded with a nod. "Creed," the bald man called back amicably, and with greetings out of the way the two focused on the road to do their job.

It was business as usual for a gate guard working an early morning shift; many merchants leaving the village to make their journey to distant lands to do business, and Suna-nin of various ranks heading out into the desert to complete missions. The two guards checked each departing person's identification carefully, then sent each one along to conduct their business. Few people made the trek overnight through the desert's rather frigid night so few people were seeking to enter the village, most being civilians like farmers and homesteaders coming in to sell produce and conduct other business. The wagons and carts pulled along by pack animals were checked if their inventory seemed suspicious, but thankfully today none were attempting to smuggle in contraband. Roku bid each traveler good day as they went along on their business while Creed merely did his work in stoic silence.

It passed much like this for hours, the two checking identification and carts if need be, tedious work but still important to the safety of the village. It was around 10 o'clock when Creed began eyeing Roku again rather suspiciously, almost sizing the boy up.

Creed pulled his Wireless Radio out and tried to switch it on only for the device to refuse, no crackles of static upon flipping the switch. Creed banged it against his hand a few times as though rattling it would fix it, but nothing came from it. The tall bald guy scowled, although looking rather forced while doing so, and walked over to where Roku was leaning. "Trade me radios, this one is busted."

Roku was eyeing the man skeptically, and shook his head. "Your shift's almost up, just deal with the broken one for a bit." Creed frowned and narrowed his eyes, then stepped a bit closer into Rokumaru's personal space. He held his hand out for the radio. "I'm the senior of the two of us, lemme have it." Again the teen shook his head, and turned back to face the road. Creed growled deeply but chose not to pursue the subject, stomping back to his arch and crossing his arms as he leaned against it. Roku felt off about the whole thing; why was the guy trying to get him to give up the only working radio? Suspicious, but nothing he could deal with.

An hour later another guard came to relieve Creed, who snarled that his Radio wasn't working and shoved it in the tanned Genin's hands, and stomped off into the village. A few hours later brought Roku his own replacement and he handed his working radio over. He would walk back home thinking about the strange behavior Creed had shown and silently hoped he wouldn't work with the man again.

WC: 1201/1000
Mission Complete~

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.