You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Empty Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:55 pm

Ren Sabaku

Ren Sabaku

D-rank
Enter Ren Sabaku, one of the newest ninja to enter Sunagakure no Sato. Well, not to say new, she had technically graduated from the academy quite some time ago, but she... how would you say.. took a leave of absence? From her responsibilities owed to the village and instead shadowed her mother in her store and clinic. All the same studying every textbook and research paper she could get her hands on. While she wasn't the smartest person naturally and wasn't some great tactician, she had rightfully earned herself a spot as one of the brightest upcoming medical ninja. Applying and entering into the hospital to shadow their staff and begin serving as a doctor despite being a genin. Scoring very highly and doing great on her entrance exam and interview, and compared to the other students, some even at chuunin level, she was quite proficient.

So now, Ren sat in the office of a doctor, her first day on the job, ready to go through whatever orientation they might have prepared or whatever beginning task she might have to get through. But, Dr. Fushiki seemed to not care in the slightest, instead thumbing through files of profiles at his desk. Ren sat awkwardly at the chair across from him, almost to scared to interrupt to say anything. His eyes would roll up briefly, "So... you're still here?" he would say in a bit of a monotone. Ren's eyes would shoot up a bit, a bit confused at it all, "I.. ummm yeah. I'm just waiting for.. ya know orientation or whatever to get started..." she let on a bit embarrassed and with a nervous chuckle.

Dr. Fushiki laughed in return and set down his file, "Well there's no real orientation here, we brought you onto shadow us and learn, but as far as we're concerned you're another employee. You know what you're doing, the clinic is a bit short staffed, so while you're new you can get acquainted over there." he said and picked up the file again. Ren nodded nervously, "Yeah, alright, should I come check in or anything later on or.... ?" she led on. He simply rolled his eyes up slightly and motioned his head towards the door, an abrasive gesture at the very least.

Ren did as he requested though, he was probably busy and it was her first day, no arguing or talking back just yet. Making her way out of his office and down the hall to the clinic, to figure out how things worked and where to begin? Regardless, Ren entered into the waiting area and to the receptionist, looking around the room of sick people there for their appointments and walk ins. Ren approached the desk, "So... I'm kinda new here, not sure what I should do." she asked the attendant a bit bashfully. The woman looked towards her, "You're a bit young to be a doctor, what can I help you with?"

"Well, I don't exactly know, but Dr. Fushiki asked me to get started down here and I guess start working on whatever? But I don't really know what to do..." Ren leaned in on the counter to whisper, "I've never really worked with a patient before." Her response was to chuckle and laugh at Ren, "Alright, wait here and I'll see if I can find someone to accompany you and show the ropes, just wait here." she said with a bit of a chuckle and heading off momentarily.

So now Ren had to wait, looking around at all the files and paperwork around, the doctors and nurses rushing around. It was quite hectic at its core and yet, no one seemed panicked. Except maybe Ren, who had to figure out how to handle a patient and what to say, what to think. She knew all the symptoms and diseases and such, and how to apply them, their rarities and the potential treatments for all of such. But... she had never actually put any of it to practice, so her true test was yet to come. Assuming she found someone to shadow or to join her while she handled something. Thank god that nothing ever serious really came through these clinics, a few broken bones or cuts and scrapes, maybe an appointment for a physical or check up. All easy things to handle, ignoring any rare circumstances or crazy outlier, it should be an easy day. Hopefully.

[753 words]

Keiko

Keiko

D-rank
It seemed there was no way she could escape the medical field, despite the inner conflict that once plagued her stubborn mind. Kitahara Keiko had once vowed never to be a medical ninja that simply stood in the back lines of a battle and treat the wounds of her comrades that fought bravely in the front. It had been a fight with the teachers at the Academy, and always an ongoing fight during missions. The Seven Bells war was the one greatest achievment in her struggle – she had been allowed to fight on the front lines, but likely only because they lacked manpower against the disgusting puppet army. That had been a huge wakeup call, particularly in a moment when she had nearly been overpowered when trying to save some civilians. She had been lucky that a high-ranking Kumogakure shinobi stepped in to give her a hand, and it was then that Keiko realized the training she would need to undergo in order to prove her point that she would be a valuable assest in the front and back lines of war.

Despite her undeniable talent for the healing arts – particularly with the additional effect of her hyōton bloodline limit – the kunoichi initially had no intention of being held back. Priding herself on her precise manipulation of chakra that allowed her to be an effective iryō-nin, she had placed the focus into creating a variety of offensive medical techniques in order to prove that her abilities didn’t have to solely be for healing purposes. Since Seven Bells, there had no been much need for her to fight in a large-scale setting, however, the next time it happened, she had to ensure that she would be ready for it, and protect others instead of requiring protection herself. She was now a Jounin, but the rank meant nothing if she couldn’t live up to it. That was part of the reason why the magenta-haired kunoichi found herself in Sunagakure during this relatively peaceful time, to train herself under the harsh heat of the desert, where members of her clan rarely stepped foot in. There was good reason for that – the heat took a huge toll on her body, and anything remotely chakra-related was exhausting to use, as though her chakra was being drained every second that she relied on it.

On occasion, Keiko found herself volunteering at the Sunagakure Hospital. Initially, the staff there were skeptical of allowing a Kiri-nin to help out. After all, despite the temporary peace, there was always a chance that everything could change in a split moment. However, with the recommendation of Kanoko from the Medicinal Greenhouse, along with a basic demonstration of her abilities, the constantly short-staffed hospital had readily agreed to use the services she provided. Within a few weeks Keiko was left to complete medical examinations and treatment of patients herself. Providing them with a tentative schedule, Keiko would walk in on a scheduled day and be directed to handle walk-in patients – which was where most of the patient flow came from. Cases ranged from children with fevers to jounin with extensive injuries, a hectic schedule that never seemed to stop.

Today, Keiko arrived early in the morning, just as the sun was rising. It was approximately seven o’clock, and her check in time was supposed to be half an hour later, but immediately after spotting her, someone pushed her towards a small child laying on a hospital bed and a fretting mother, who was hurriedly trying to explain something about her son injesting a strange fluid. Having hoped that she would be able to get a cup of tea first, Keiko was not in the best of moods. Putting on what she hoped as a reassuring smile, she slipped on a pair of latex gloves and began her examination of the boy, taking note of the slight purple tinge on his lips. The child still looked up at her with bright, alert eyes, seeingly unaffected by whatever it was that he had put in his mouth. Placing gentle pressure against his abdomen and moving around, at some point while her hands were against the bottom of his left rib cage, the child began gagging, as though ready to throw up. Eyes narrowed – and hoping she didn’t have to clean vomit out of her hair – Keiko lifted her hands to hover over the boy, right above the area she had just placed pressure on. A soft glow would appear in a circular shape, and as the worried mother watched on, a small floating bubble of purple liquid appeared, contained within the ball of chakra that Keiko was concentrating on. Dropping the liquid into a nearby container, Keiko smiled at the boy. Her expression though, was a little … on the condescending side. “Next time, try not to drink the purple stuff used to clean swords, okay?”

Four more hours went back before Keiko was finally on lunch break, escaping from the ever-busy area of the hospital to a small cafeteria that sound cheap food – in every definition of the word. Poking at the soup dubiously after finishing her sandwich, Keiko eventually gave up, abandoning the remaining time of her break to wander back towards the waiting room. It was then that one of the receptionists made eye contact with her, making a straight beeline towards the kunoichi. Uh oh, what now? It was clear from the intent in the receptionist’s eyes that she had a favour to ask. “Kitahara-san, I know you’re not from here and it’s busy but … could you take on a new doctor?” She asked, leaning in closer to divulge more information. “That child over there … she’s new and has never taken a patient before.”

It took all of her willpower not to groan and roll her eyes. Following the receptionist’s gaze, Keiko spotted a girl not much younger than herself waiting by the desk. Giving a short nod in reply, Keiko would walk over, greeting herself when she got the girl’s attention. “Hello there, you’re the new one that needs to be shown around, I suppose? I’m Kitahara Keiko, and it seems you’ve been assigned to me. Don’t expect too much though, I’m not a teacher.” Her introduction was curt and to the point, already reaching for a new patient file. It didn’t matter to her whether the girl chose to introduce herself or not – Keiko had two more hours before she left for the day to complete some of her own training, and in these two hours, she was determined to get through as many patients as possible. “I assume that if the receptionist called you a doctor, you’re somewhat trained. I’m not expecting you to do much but …” There was a slight pause, and for a moment, Keiko stopped scanning the file to look directly at Ren. “If you do have any questions, or want to add in your own thoughts, feel free to.” There was a detectable note of kindness there, just slightly. Keiko knew how daunting this would be to a newcomer, and given how this particular young hopeful had just been tossed at her, no one was willing to step up and give the girl a proper introduction to the medical scene. “Here, take a look at this file, and we can call them in to see what they need.” Keiko would offer the file to Ren, eyes already scanning the crowds for the patient.

1268 | 1268 Total

Ren Sabaku

Ren Sabaku

D-rank
Ren waited silently for a moment, fidgeting about where she stood, waiting for something to happen and for whatever to begin. Another woman walked to her, a unique magenta colored hair and purple eyes, greeting Ren not long after approaching her. “Hello there, you’re the new one that needs to be shown around, I suppose? I’m Kitahara Keiko, and it seems you’ve been assigned to me. Don’t expect too much though, I’m not a teacher.” Ren smiled and nodded, "Yeah, I'm Ren Sabaku, and today's kinda my first day on the job and all..." she gave her answer a bit bashfully and rubbed at the back of her neck briefly.

“I assume that if the receptionist called you a doctor, you’re somewhat trained. I’m not expecting you to do much but …” a brief pause erupted as Keiko looked towards Ren. “If you do have any questions, or want to add in your own thoughts, feel free to.” Ren nodded along, it was a bit of a relief to hear that she wouldn't be totally hung out to dry. Not like her superior was leaving her to, after all, she had never dealt with a real patient before much less treated one. The learning curve alone would certainly be interesting but Ren responded, "Alright, thanks. I appreciate it."

“Here, take a look at this file, and we can call them in to see what they need.” Ren accepted the file and began to glance over the details of it all, the first patient of the day and it would be filled by the role of a young child with what appeared to be a broken leg just checked in not too long ago. The child himself was only about seven years old, but not much else in the way of detail would be there, it seemed rather simple to start with, nothing too extreme and nothing confusing. It was almost straight forward as it would come.

The child would be in room 2B already, having been x-rayed and everything else before hand, it would be as simple as going in and setting the bone then fusing it back together. A simple enough task even if the bone had broken through skin.

It wouldn't be until Ren entered the room that she would realize part of the true difficulty in dealing with patients and especially true for children above all else. The room was a little small but had plenty of room for the four of them, Keiko and Ren the child lying on the table grimacing in pain and tears beginning to dry up as he refused to move about and an overly anxious mother. Who, to what would be a surprise shot up in her place as they entered the room, panic in her voice or perhaps a bit of anger?

"Oh goodness, it's about time that someone showed up! I bet you were off helping your friends and the others that came here before us! My son is injured and you guys are taking your sweat time with it all!" she was almost yelling as they entered. Ren was a bit shocked at the scene, understanding the panic of a mother but confused as why any of this could be their fault? She entered in and defaulted to Keiko to respond while the mother ranted on, glancing to her with a confused look on her face.

"Well what's the hold up, it shouldn't take you but a few minutes to make him good as new! I've seen how you people use those jutsu of yours!" Ren just smiled a bit, and approached the boy, she didn't exactly have a technique that could set the bone in place and fuse it together. Her jutsu were good for smaller issues and with the bone having broken the skin, it would be mostly up to Keiko to do the hard work here. Also leaving the explanation of what they would do and how it would be done for Keiko to explain to the mother. In the meantime, Ren would introduce herself to the boy and his erratic mother, waiting for Keiko to do the same and make their introduction, "My name's Ren, and I'm just gonna numb your leg some so it won't hurt nearly as much when we fix it." she would give forth a genuine smile and let the chakra coat her hands.

A small grimace as she placed her hands on his leg and began to numb the entire region of his leg where it was broken and where they would have to focus their efforts. After a brief moment Ren would step away and let the boy tend to himself, the mother tightly held at his hand and Ren couldn't help but smile at the notion. The rest of this case would be left up to Keiko to set the bone, and end up fusing it back together and healing it, she could help but for the time she would mostly get in the way.

[858 words, 1611 words total]

Jutsu used:

Keiko

Keiko

D-rank
A relatively quiet one. Keiko greatly appreciated that Ren didn’t appear to be a talkative one; she had seen some new recruits that wouldn’t stop talking, either full of stupid basic questions, or waving around an attitude like they knew everything. It would make her job much easier if Ren spent most of the time observing … though if she was concerned a doctor, Keiko did expect some skill to come along with this young girl. Despite internally referring to her new trainee as young, Keiko knew not to underestimate her based on age, given how the kunoichi herself had started out at a similar age. "Yeah, I'm Ren Sabaku, and today's kinda my first day on the job and all..." Sabaku, Sabaku … That sounded familiar. Very familiar. Keiko wasn’t too knowledgeable on the clans of other villages, but this particular name seemed to ring some bells. Unfortunately, she lacked the time to dwell on the thought, and so it was temporarily pushed aside in favour of getting through the day.

It didn’t take them long to find the next patient. A child, again. Sometimes, it felt like she was deliberately handed civilian or youth injuries, as though the hospital still didn’t quite trust her with their shinobi yet. That meant Keiko rarely got the chance to use higher-levelled techniques, and it also meant that Ren likely wouldn’t be exposed to anything exciting. The case file told her everything she needed to expect prior to seeing the patient – the young boy had decided he would try the Supernatural Walking Technique that he had seen his older brother do, fell off a tree, and landed very awkwardly on his leg. The fall was enough to cleanly break the bone, the force of it pushing the bone through his skin, tearing right through to the surface. Despite the mess of breaking through skin, it was a relatively clean break, meaning they wouldn’t have to deal with fragments that required excessive clean up.

"Oh goodness, it's about time that someone showed up! I bet you were off helping your friends and the others that came here before us! My son is injured and you guys are taking your sweat time with it all!" Mothers. Most of the time, the injured children weren’t the headache, it was the parents, especially those who weren’t part of the shinobi world, and viewed it either as a curse or magic tricks that made everything better. At first, Keiko wouldn’t reply, simply continuing to walk towards the bed as the mother continued ranting. "Well what's the hold up, it shouldn't take you but a few minutes to make him good as new! I've seen how you people use those jutsu of yours!" At that, Keiko sighed, finally turning to address the woman who didn’t seem to want to shut up. A chill would suddenly become noticeable in the room, as though the air conditioning had suddenly been turned up several notches.

“Ma’am, as much as I realize you are worried … you’re either going to quiet yourself and let us do our job, or you can remove yourself from this room.” It was a light threat, much lighter than the other suggestions running through her head, but Keiko could feel the young boy’s eyes on them, and didn’t want to risk alarming the child any further into shock. Her tone itself was much harsher than expected of a doctor, but Keiko never was one to sugar-coat her words. The sooner she could get this woman out of their hair, the sooner they’d be able to treat their patient and move on to the next one. The woman froze, eyes narrowed at Keiko as though she wanted to say more, but much to everyone’s relief, she returned to her son’s side silently, though her resentful glares never ceased. By this time, Ren was speaking to the patient, providing an introduction to herself. To Keiko’s surprise, the younger kunoichi went ahead to apply a basic anesthetic technique on the wound. Most doctors would be furious to have their trainee step in without permission, but Keiko found herself admiring the girl’s initiative, having been told that Ren didn’t have a lot of actual experience dealing with patients.

Giving Ren a nod, Keiko would step in, slipping on a pair of gloves that she would grab from the shelf on the wall. “Lesson one – don’t use chakra unless you absolutely have to, or you’ll burn yourself out after your third patient.” She would say to Ren as she placed her hand on the now-numbed area of injury, fingers skimming over the skin to confirm the xray’s findings. It was a clean, open fracture – setting the bone would be tricky given how she’d have to push the bone back in without causing further damage. Taking a break after determining the amount of force and direction she would be applying, Keiko turned to look at the boy, whose eyes were wide with fear. Giving him a reassuring smile and not looking away, her right hand pushed down, while her left hand remained higher up on his thigh to stabilize his leg. It wouldn’t click as many people expect, but once Keiko confirmed that it was approximately in the correct positioning, she would quickly work on switching out the bandages that had been put on to stop the initial bloodflow. “Ren, go grab a nurse and tell them we need a cast to be arranged, he’s still young and there’s a lot of muscle in the area.”

As soon as she handed it off to the nurses, Keiko would remove the gloves, turning to walk out of the room with Ren. “Well? How was it?” She would ask, curious to know what the Sabaku thought of their first patient. There would be many more to come and they were on their way to pick up a new file. There was never an organized list in the emergency room – when free, doctors simply went through reception to grab the next case, usually ordered by arrival time, along with priority.

1048 | 2316 Total

5Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Empty Re: Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:32 am

Ren Sabaku

Ren Sabaku

D-rank
Keiko took charge of the situation after defusing the mother to some degree, so direct and abrasive. It was shocking to Ren, who covered up any surprise by ignoring the comments altogether, not looking at Keiko or the mother but instead to the chart she had in her hands. When Ren was done numbing away the childs leg, Keiko stepped up and offered her first bit of advice, “Lesson one – don’t use chakra unless you absolutely have to, or you’ll burn yourself out after your third patient.” Ren would nod along taking a mental note of the advice, she most certainly wasn't wrong, being on duty for hours at a time, having to maintain that much chakra in a day would be insane. No doctor would ever last long from the pure exhaustion of the job itself, Ren mused to herself as she watched Keiko set the bone back, making it look surprisingly easier than Ren imagined.

Thoughts of a heavy snap as it would be yanked back into place and a boy squealing as he thought he would be in some terrible pain, but mostly from the shock of it all. Horror stories and nothing more really, but that didn't mean that Ren wouldn't let her imagination run wild with the thoughts of it.

Ren's attention would be broken by Keiko requesting a nurse to work on casting it, Ren would nod and head into the hallway looking around thoroughly. At the first nurse she could find Ren would reach her arm out and catch the woman by her arm, "The boy in room 2B is ready to have his leg cast. Can you send someone to take over for that? Ren would ask having let her arm go almost immediately, the nurse would nod in response and head off down the hallway. Ren would head back to the room with the boy and nod to Keiko, making a few marks on the chart and leaving it in the bin just outside the door.

Not a moment later would two people in scrubs enter the room, "We're here to do the cast?" the first guy would speak up. Ren nodded and stepped out of the way for them to enter, one guy and one woman would enter the room and approach the boy, Ren sliding out quietly with a small wave to anyone who would still be paying attention, if anyone at all.

“Well? How was it?” she would ask as they headed back into the hallway to grab the next case. Ren would muse over her thoughts briefly, rocking her head back and forth, "Well... it was about as eventful as I expected?" she spoke with a slight chuckle. "I'm a little surprised at how you told off the mom though, I always thought we'd have to be on our best behavior and kind and all. Given how most parents or loved ones will project their anger and worries onto whomever they're dealing with. Other than that, broken bone, no big deal..." Ren would nod along as they made their way back to the station.

The next chart on the list would be far more interesting than the first as far as details went, but in terms of fixing it or anything like that, Ren almost immediately suspected the cause. Taking the folder from the nurse before Keiko could, without even thinking, after all she was in charge. Perhaps it would be a bit rude to do so? But for Ren, who would be scanning over it while listening to Keiko's response or musing over the case to herself, the thought wouldn't hardly cross her mind.

Glossitis. Inflammation of the tongue... probably just some allergic reaction to something, most likely food borne unless... he was eating something inanimate? That would be a bit unique to say the least. "Well, at least the next one won't be yelling at us or anything, not until after we've treated him..." Ren snickered and handed the folder to Keiko to look over.

The 24 year old male would be located in room 3C this time, not but just down the hall from where they were just at. When all was said and done, Ren would follow Keiko down the hall to the room, following her lead the whole way there. Hopefully, Ren wouldn't already be overstepping her bounds here but on the way there she would chime in, "We're never gonna find out what he was allergic to unless we reduce the swelling in his tongue. It might be a bit of a weird idea, but we can take his face and inject him with steroids, after a few minutes the inflammation should drop enough that he can speak, although it'll only be a temporary fix..." Ren would add musing over her thoughts. Temporary, but if the man knew where he had messed up he would be fine, another shot of epinephrine to match the prednisone and avoiding whatever environmental fault he encountered should clear him up.

It wasn't exactly unethical either, but the risk-benefit ratio would be a bit low, and it would be more Keiko's decision here to decide how to proceed. Ren definitely didn't want to step on anyone's toes and force her into doing something that she may or may not be comfortable with doing.

[909 words, 2520 words total]

6Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Empty Re: Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:04 am

Keiko

Keiko

D-rank
Needless to say, it was quite fortunate that no one had the time to keep an eye on Keiko’s attitude towards troublesome patients or the companions that came with them. It wasn’t that the kunoichi was particularly rude or hostile to patients without justification – it just so happened that she didn’t have the patience to take shit from people when she was trying to take care of hundreds of patients a day. As far as she was concerned, saving someone from the brink of death highly outweighed the need to worry about personal feelings; if she had to threaten someone in order to save a life, she would do it without hesitation. Though now that she thought about it, perhaps showing this type of attitude to a new doctor like Ren might not be the greatest idea … after all, Keiko was a temporary help around the hospital, while the other female would likely be more of a permanent fixture of this first day wasn’t enough to scare her away.

"Well... it was about as eventful as I expected?" Looks like this new doctor may pull through yet. "I'm a little surprised at how you told off the mom though, I always thought we'd have to be on our best behavior and kind and all. Given how most parents or loved ones will project their anger and worries onto whomever they're dealing with. Other than that, broken bone, no big deal..."At that, Keiko let out a short laugh, quite amused. This girl seemed full of surprises. Most people at this point, dealing with Keiko, wouldn’t take the extra step of commenting or questioning her actions. The ice-user was often described as giving off a very unapproachable vibe, or at least not appearing friendly enough to joke with. “It might not be best to be learning about hospital etiquette and behaviour from me, I’m not the best example to be taking after.” Keiko would reply, casting her amused glance at Ren. “While I am aware of the reasoning behind people’s behaviour, like that woman, I prioritize treating the patient over all else, and if I have to waste time dealing with people, it just makes the process even more inefficient.” She didn’t particularly care what Ren thought of her explanation – she wasn’t out to try and justify her actions.

As they reached the nurse who was flagging them down with a chart in hand, Keiko had barely lifted her arm to reach for the chart when Ren grabbed it first. A spark of irritation struck her, but she didn’t say anything, waiting silently as the younger kunoichi scanned the file. It was rude, yes, but Keiko knew that if she opened her mouth to say anything, it likely would not end up going well. If she was practicing enough metacognition to know to keep her mouth shut, it was better for everyone. "Well, at least the next one won't be yelling at us or anything, not until after we've treated him..." Keiko gave her a tight smile, reaching for the file to glance over it herself. This was another example of how man-made products would likely be able to solve the problem.

"We're never gonna find out what he was allergic to unless we reduce the swelling in his tongue. It might be a bit of a weird idea, but we can take his face and inject him with steroids, after a few minutes the inflammation should drop enough that he can speak, although it'll only be a temporary fix..." There were benefits and drawbacks to Ren’s constant need to chime in her own thoughts. The benefit was that this showed the young kunoichi’s potential, as she wasn’t one of those brainless newbies who were did what they were told, unable to solve situations by themselves regardless of how much training they had. The drawback was that it was beginning to get on Keiko’s nerves. Just a tad. But the suggestion wasn’t a bad one – not a route Keiko would have taken, but worth a shot. “Go ahead and do that, there should still be a nurse doing rounds in his room, ask them to get you what you need, and you may proceed from there. Once you’re done, let’s see if you can prescribe some follow-up treatments.” Keiko conceded, figuring that in this non-life threatening case, it would be appropriate to let Ren try her hand at treating a patient all the way through.

Moving to stand in the room, out of Ren’s way, Keiko would simply observe what the other female was doing, only interrupting should the other end up doing something terribly wrong. It was nie to be able to take a break, and in this time, Keiko would also take note of the other’s methods of treatment, knowing that she herself was more used to performing healing on the frontlines of a battle, and thus relied more on chakra-based medical techniques than anything else. Because she had spent so much of her younger years battling the fate of becoming a iryō-nin stuck in the back healing instead of fighting, she had largely refused official training in the medical field, and most of what she knew now was learned through volunteering at both the Kiri and Suna hospitals.

Should nothing go wrong and if Ren successfully treated the patient, Keiko would wait for the younger doctor before moving back towards the waiting area, to grab a new patient. But before they even reached the end of the hallway, the sound of doors being slammed open startled the surrounding people, as a handful of shinobi and nurses raced down the hall, pushing three stretchers consecutively through. Their faces tense, there began a call for any doctors available. Glancing over at Ren, Keiko began moving towards the second stretcher, knowing that other doctors would soon follow for the remaining patients. “We’ll get this one to Room B607 – keep the mask on him, and do not remove him from the stretcher, park it next to the examination table.” Her orders were straightforward, quickly thinking on the spot as she scanned the patient. He was a shinobi – a young one, possibly a chuunin or special jounin. Covered in multiple cut wounds, blood continued seeping through the temporary bandages and cloths. With all the blood, it was impossible to decipher exactly where the most critical wounds were, but from her estimate, he wouldn’t last much longer if he didn’t receive treatment. This would likely call for chakra-use if they didn’t want to lose precious time. “Come on, let’s show you what you’re really be seeing out in the field.” She would say to Ren, following right behind the stretcher. “Do what you can to stop the bleeding while I heal him, and monitor his vitals for me.”

1173 | 3489 Total

Ren Sabaku

Ren Sabaku

D-rank
Don't make Keiko a role model, got it! Ren thought to herself as they exited and she listened to her response. A brief moment later with the file and Ren handed it over for their next patient.

They began to make their way to the room, Ren laying out her plan for this particular patient, thinking a bit out of the box but more so displaying her medical knowledge. Keiko gave her the green light, despite her overly childish way of explaining it by injecting his 'face' with steroids, Ren would feel a slight drop in her chest as they entered into the room. Ren nervously walked in, holding the clipboard and file to her chest as she inched her way to the center of the room, the man's tongue inflated to fill his mouth plus some. Ren entered in and stammered through her name and introduction, "Hey, I'm.. uh, gonna be treating you today and all..." she led on. The nurse smiled a bit and the man shot out what sounded like an 'Ok' despite his mouth being full and his breathing no doubt stunted as a result. Ren turned to the nurse and asked for 1 CC of prednisone, some gauze and then another 2 CC of epinephrine. As the nurse turned to the cabinets to begin preparing it, Ren turned her back to the patient and began to speak.

"So, what we're gonna be doing is injecting you with some steroids to reduce the inflammation in your tongue and mouth, which should only take a minute or two to kick in. Then some epinephrine to reduce and inoculate whatever toxin is in your kidneys and liver..." Ren nodded her head and took the first needle of the steroid prednisone and the gauze and approached his head. "You do know what you're allergic to, right?" she asked wondering if they would have to go through a scratch test to determine his allergy as well today. The man shook his head lightly and confirmed that he knew, which either meant that he was stupid or unlucky, whatever it was didn't concern Ren that much.

Ren slipped on two plastic gloves, fighting tightly around her hand as she set the syringe and gauze down for a brief moment. Then taking the syringe she used one hand to tilt his head and push up on it, then with the other, pressing underneath his tongue to find her spot. Her medical prowess completely on display in front of Keiko, she went to find a spot close to the blood vessels and keep it under his tongue, given that he probably wouldn't want to taste too much of his own blood or swallow the gauze. After some light maneuvering Ren stuck the syringe in pressed it lightly into the meat of the tongue and release the steroid quickly into his tongue, holding the tongue back with the fingers of her other hand. Then keeping the tongue pushed back, Ren grabbed the small swab of gauze and stuffed it under his tongue. Stepping back with a sigh, she spoke up and disposed of the needle into the biohazard bin, "The tongue's swelling should go down in a minute or two..." then taking the epinephrine shot in her other hand, a different vessel than a needle, it was more of a cylinder of plastic for quick delivery.

She walked over and stabbed it into his thigh rapidly then pressing a button, he would groan out and reach for this thigh as Ren watched patiently. "This is called an epinephrine pen, might want to carry one if you have allergies like this..." she said and pulled the pen away and tossed it, with her gloves in the bin. Ren would turn to the nurse as she finished up, "If the swelling doesn't go down in ten minutes and his bloodshot eyes don't fade either then you can give him another 2 CC's of epi and send him home to sleep it off... Thanks" she would add with a bit of a smile and turned back to Keiko, who hopefully was fine with how she handled it. Waiting to see if Keiko had anything else to add for the follow up or not, otherwise it would be on for them to the next one.

Making their way back to the waiting area to grab their next patient, Ren already feeling the daunt of the cycle of work, thinking to herself about potentially developing a coffee addiction. Her thoughts interrupted as the doors slammed open and three stretchers with a staff of nurses raced into the area in a panic. Ren's eyes widened as she froze up for a second, a quick glance from Keiko as she moved forward, Ren hesitantly following after to begin to observe them. Following Keiko and inching forward to him, he lookly badly injured, lots of deep cuts and enough blood to make Ren gulp as she looked onto the scene. Keiko called out, “We’ll get this one to Room B607 – keep the mask on him, and do not remove him from the stretcher, park it next to the examination table.” Ren nervously heard her out, as if she were in a daze looking at all the wounds, no doubt about to enter a nervous sweat as she grabbed the railing of the stretcher.

It would take a second for Ren to break free from her worry and take hold of herself as they were pushing the cart down the hall to the room, letting Keiko take hold. A visual examination of his injuries, there were cuts everywhere, and maybe poisoned? Heavy risk of infection at the very least, he was in quite the condition. Ren helped park the stretcher and immediately grabbed a pair of gloves and the needle to the heart monitor, almost in a panic with her movements, hardly hearing Keiko's commands. The gloves were on and she found the vein in his left arm to connect him, she had a job now, stop the bleeding and monitor his vitals... but there was so much blood? How was Ren supposed to stop it all? She had to do something, anything to help out, he would certainly die if she didn't get herself together.

It would take careful examination of it all, there were vital areas near his neck that were cut, preserved by the anbu's temporary stasis technique and other cuts all around his body. With Ren on his left side and Keiko on his right, a nurse at his feet waiting to help out how she could. Her job would be non-vital bleeding stoppage and calling out anything she noticed, a gulp as she pushed chakra to her hands and began to run over his chest. "Keiko, broken bones in his chest and lacerations to his internal organs in addition to his neck..." she led on as Ren began to run over the tissue at the outer extremities of his body. Healing over a gash on his left shoulder as she waited to hear out Keiko's thoughts, blood was beginning to pool up in some areas and show through all the bandages that Ren could lay her eyes on.

[1218 words, 3738 words total]

Jutsu used:

Keiko

Keiko

D-rank
It was true that in the medical field, one must always be accepting of changes and be willing to adopt new, advanced technologies and treatment methods. This was somewhat being tested now, as Keiko watched Ren order prednisone and epinephrine – medications that she had heard of before, but never really had the chance to use on a patient herself. In current times, such medical solutions were still relatively new on the field, and given how fresh Ren was to the scene, she had likely received the most updated information as such treatments. Once again, Keiko found herself imagining how different it would be if she had accepted medical training back when she herself had been in the Academy … perhaps when she returned to Kirigakure, she would sincerely put herself under training once more. Watching the young kunoichi treat the patient, Keiko made no comments, instead observing everything with watchful eyes, both monitoring and learning at the same time. It seemed as though Ren had everything under control, and there was no reason for Keiko to step in.

The next patient had Keiko worried as well, given how severe the man’s injuries were. As far as she was concerned, this man should’ve already succumbed to his wounds – either he had incredibly high endurance and willpower, or he had been discovered early and provided with basic emergency care. Perhaps a bit of both, given his terrible condition. It wasn’t very fair to expect Ren to do a lot, but at this moment, Keiko could only rely on the hope that the younger kunoichi would be able to handle herself and provide support where needed. "Keiko, broken bones in his chest and lacerations to his internal organs in addition to his neck..." Keiko would simply provide a nod in response, cross-checking Ren’s report with her own observations of the injuries their patient suffered from. The reasoning behind her request not to move the patient was to avoid worsening the shock that the patient was already slipping into, one wrong move and they could end up with an even worse situation.

“Keep giving him air, we don’t know the full extent of his injuries – his signals could be delayed, or even non-functional.” She instructed the nurse standing near the patients head. What could she do now? Running through her options, Keiko knew time was running out. She could go straight into using her Advanced Recovery Method, but even while she was healing the patient, he could slip right out of their grasp before his wounds closed up. Somehow, they had to ensure that his state didn’t worsen while they turned their focus to his injuries. There was a technique she had been working on … but it wasn’t perfected. No, she was quite certain it would work, but she had yet to test it on someone near death – a situation it was specifically designed for.

“Make sure no one is in direct contact with the patient, I’m going to be placing his body into a cryogenic state so we can place more focus on healing his injuries without worrying about spiked changes in his vitals.” Even as she spoke, she was already removing anything that blocked her direct contact with his skin, aiming to place her hands directly in the center of his chest. Fingers trembling slightly as she clasped her fingers together, merging fūton and suiton together to make her signature hyōton, Keiko took a single deep breath before placing both hands flat on his chest, a surge of hyōton-infused medical chakra pulsing out from the point of contact to the rest of his body. It was obvious that it wasn’t a perfected technique as her arms appeared to vibrate from the effort, holding her hands in place much longer than necessary to ensure that the chakra reached all parts of the patient’s body, a wave of cold that would slow down all his major organs. Already, smaller wounds were beginning to close up, but it would be a while before they could announce that he was out of death’s doorstep. A wave of exhaustion rushed through her – it really was much more difficult to use her ice release in Sunagakure, but as far as she was concerned, this was the only option to give them a chance to save their patient.

“It should be fine now, we’ll keep an eye on his vitals, but our focus now will be on healing up any critical wounds.” Keiko would eventually say, lifting her hands away from the patient. She would be able to pull the patient out of the cryogenic sleep once the patient was deemed stable. Quickly making the Ram hand seal, she would then switch to a full medical technique, her Advanced Recovery Method, hovering over the patient’s body, which would begin to glow a pale white-blue. She would focus on the internal damage first, allowing Ren and the others to work on the visible, external damages.

Chakra: 230/280:

844 | 4333 Total

Ren Sabaku

Ren Sabaku

D-rank
“Keep giving him air, we don’t know the full extent of his injuries – his signals could be delayed, or even non-functional.” Keiko called out as Ren continued to push chakra to her hands and heal what wounds she could get to. The problem was that Ren didn't have any advanced healing methods, the best she could do was minor repair to internal organs but not enough to close them up, or to close them up still damage, either way she was on blood control and this guy was certainly losing a lot of it. As Ren was struggling to figure out what she was going to do, Keiko called out again, a plan to cryogenically freeze his body, a certainly bold maneuver but for someone in such a risky state, it would be worth it.

Ren grabbed the needle in his arm and took it out so that it would freeze along with him, then stepped back to watch Keiko at work. Ren watched as Keiko pressed her hands together, a chill ran through the room as the ice formed and her hands pressed to his chest. Ren wouldn't imagine that she could also use an advanced element like herself, but especially one she'd never seen before. Perhaps not in this whole country, making her quite unique indeed. But her thoughts were not on Keiko's origin or abilities, instead on watching the man calm down, a glaze of ice rushing over his body to begin to stabilize him.

Keiko spoke up again as the jutsu ran its course, blood stopped flowing, some of the external actually froze into small crystalline structures, “It should be fine now, we’ll keep an eye on his vitals, but our focus now will be on healing up any critical wounds.” Ren took a second and examined over the body, it seemed all the cuts were healing themselves and lessening in severity, bringing down the urgency of it even if just a little. Ren nodded, not saying a word, her anxiety prevented her from wanting to do much or add more, and immediately she went back to work on the body.

Pressing more chakra in her hands and running over the body, checking every bit of area, listening to the nurses call out small wounds and other cuts and their severity. Ren would work tirelessly to save this man, but while he was partially frozen, a bit of calm would run through Ren's mind, a small breathe of fresh air as she felt the alms of recovery.

[429 words, 4167 words total]

[Jutsu: Healing Hands maintained]

10Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Empty Re: Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:08 am

Keiko

Keiko

D-rank
Despite being quite adept at combining her advanced element with her healing techniques, this was not a situation she found herself in often. It could be noted as an extreme case - it was very rarely that she allowed herself to experiment new techniques on critical patients. Keiko was aware that certain medics would take every opportunity to use their patients as guinea pigs, but she herself looked down on that practice, believing that being in a position where someone else's life is dependent on her meant that she couldn't freely risk their lives for the sake of her own benefit. However in this case, her judgment deemed it necessary to test out her cryogenic technique, given how the patient may not have lived for much longer in his previous state. Continuing to maintain the Advanced Recovery technique, her eyes continued to critically observe the patient, taking in the effects of her ice technique.

Glancing quickly at her temporary “trainee” after realizing that she wasn’t going to get a verbal response, Keiko had nothing to say in regards to what Ren was doing. As far as she was concerned, it was enough that the other kunoichi was doing her part, however little. She had no doubts that Ren would learn from this experience and hopefully figure out what she lacked. After all, being a medic-nin, as with all other professions, was a never-ending learning process. “He should be out of the danger zone soon, I want to pull him out of the cryogenic state as soon as possible. There are also risks that come along with my technique, especially because I’m still working on perfecting it.” She would say out loud, words primarily directed towards Ren.

Should nothing of a concerning nature appear after several more minutes, Keiko would finish up with her Advanced Recovery technique after determining that none of his remaining injuries were life-threatening, and begin working on pulling their patient out of the cryogenic state as well. “He should come to in an hour or so, for now, anything that can recover on its own needs to be dressed properly – have pain killers on hand, we’re going to try and avoid using morphine unless it’s absolutely necessary.” Keiko would address the nurses, trusting that they would complete the necessary follow ups with the patient. Looking over at Ren once more, she tilted her head slightly. “Anything you’d like to add?” Should they all deem the patient stable, it would be time to hand everything over to the nurses.

Chakra:

430 | 4763 Total

Last edited by Keiko on Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:20 am; edited 2 times in total

11Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Empty Re: Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:19 am

Ren Sabaku

Ren Sabaku

D-rank
Ren focused heavily on the task at hand, no deviations from it and no distractions along the way. She had a task to heal as much as she could and she was burning through chakra fast, she was only a genin after all, there was only so much she could do in the long run. But Keiko's freezing technique had certainly taken off a lot of the pressure of the situation, but not enough to let either one of them relax. Ren continued to work around the severe areas and life threatening injuries, she had no where near the prowess to take on those injuries herself.

Her short musings and focus were broken as Keiko started to speak up, commenting on her jutsu. Ren would glance up briefly and slow down on her healing technique for just a second, passively pressing out chakra as she listened in and nodded along. She understood, they still needed to move quickly and effectively to save this guy, barring any other complications or such, but given the frozen manner, they could ignore most of the bleeding fall out.

After a moment and a clearing of his life threatening injuries, they began to pull him out of the cryogenic state, Ren remained to work on healing any wounds and cuts that might have been missed. Since, when the body unfroze, anything they missed would start to bleed again. Ren took it upon herself to focus on that while Keiko began to call out orders to the nurses and give their orders on how to handle him after the fact. “Anything you’d like to add?” Keiko looked towards Ren, the body of the man slowly left its cryogenic state, and everything looked good.

Ren sighed a bit and held of her chakra, just running over him to fix as much as she could. Ren stopped her chakra and shook her head, "No, I think that's it..." Ren stepped back and felt woozy immediately, having burned so much of her chakra. She caught her balance and shook her head a bit, holding her hand up to keep her balance as her eyes focused in and out and regathered her composure. "I uhhh... I think I need to take a seat and rest a minute..." she offered with a hesitant laugh and scratched the back of her head. "If that's everything then, I'll be going to take a short break. It's been great watching you work, thanks for helping me out." Ren would offer her hand for a polite hand-shake if Keiko would accept.

Anyways, after all was said and done, Ren would depart and go take a seat in the lounge and relax a bit. Grabbing a water bottle and taking a few sips as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. So much to learn today and so much to reflect on, and yet Ren just wanted to rest for the time being.

[496 words, 4663 words total]
[Exit Thread]

Training:

12Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Empty Re: Today's Rounds [Keiko/Private/No-kill] Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:19 am

Keiko

Keiko

D-rank
OOC:

Finally, a break. There was a brief moment of hesitation - barely noticeable - before Keiko shook Ren's hand, nodding in response before heading off to attempt to find more food. Perhaps it was time for her to call it day and just return home, before she got pulled into anything else. All in all, it had been quite a productive day.

-- Exit Thread --

Training
Strength A-0 -> A-3: 3450 words
Endurance A-0 -> A-1: 1000 words
Remaining words: 364

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.