You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 1 of 2]

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
She had to improve. After finding out that her father had been captured by her clan, she knew that this was a must. But what should she start with? Ninjutsu or Taijutsu? Or might it be better to just concentrate on her katon element?  
Kumo’s training grounds weren’t too far away from Bokuden’s house, she realized, when she reached her destination in only ten minutes. Stepping on the slightly-sloped ground, she immediately noticed the temperature rise. So it must be true after all: The Tethys Grounds were indeed located above a pit of lava, making the water vapor condensate and run into a reservoir to be used by the villagers. Interesting. Misoka was only glad she’d dressed in her usual training attire: a short-sleeved white shirt with black capri pants. Seemed perfect for this unexpected temperature rise. Well then...
She let her gaze wander over the landscape until she spotted Bokuden, just within eyeshot. Good. He had left her a note, saying he’d be at the training grounds, and since she could definitely use some practise herself, she’d decided to follow him.
Just then, an idea came to her mind, an idea which would probably help her improve more than her other training strategies.

“Hey!” Misoka called out to Bokuden, approaching him with an excited smile. “I thought I might join you in training. I hope you don’t mind.”
Stopping a few meters before him, she proceeded to tie her hair back with a rubber band and to adjust her black gloves. She would surely need them in a taijutsu battle. Then again, she should better watch out for his sword if she didn’t want to get cut in half.
Still the faint smile on her lips, Misoka got into a fighting stance, announcing almost casually,”Why don’t we have a spar? This might make us stronger than any other training on our own.”
It never occurred to her that he might not want to spar with her. After all, he was a ninja as well and seemed to take his training very seriously. There was nothing like an exciting spar every now and then.

---
Training Doton C-> B; Training Body Flicker Technique 366 w.

Last edited by Misoka on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

https://www.youtube.com/user/KanameXSisters?feature=mhee

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
Good Morning Misoka,

I hope you slept well. You looked so tired last night I’m sure that you could have really used a good night’s rest in a warm bed rather than on the ground beneath a tree.  Speaking of last night… I hope that the kiss on the cheek that I gave you didn’t cross any lines. I’d like to have dinner with you again if you’ll have me. I enjoyed spending time with you… and I hope you enjoyed it as well? Ah sorry, this was supposed to be a simple note and I ended up rambling on about something you probably don’t care about. Anyway, unless you really slept in I likely won’t be there when you wake up and read this note. Don’t be alarmed, I’m just out doing my daily training routine. I should be back in a couple of hours, so just sit tight until I get back and I’ll pick up lunch on the way home. You’re free to help yourself to anything in the house while I’m gone. The fridge and pantry are both stocked so if you get hungry you can go ahead and just take whatever you want. If you need me for anything I’ll be training at the Tethys Grounds. I keep a map of the village in the top drawer of the kitchen, to the right of the sink. It’s only a few minutes away from the house so if something happens I’ll be close by. Anyway, I hope to see you soon so we can talk again. I’d really like that. Thinking about you~

Bokuden

~~~~~

The words he wrote on that note he had left for Misoka replayed in his mind, over and over again, as Bokuden scaled a stone ledge at the Tethys grounds. Wearing a sleeveless compression shirt for his training session, Bokuden supported himself with a single arm as he climbed the rock wall, his left hand held behind his back, clutching his sword. “What was I thinking?”  he grunted to himself as he struggled a bit with his one armed climb, “She’ll probably be gone by the time I get back if she reads that note. Why did I even bring up the kiss? I enjoyed spending time with you and hope you enjoyed it as well? She doesn’t even know me! I blew it.”

Being so preoccupied with Misoka and the note Bokuden accidently lost his footing on the rock wall and before he could recover was already on the descent, falling towards the ground.  After he got over the initial shock of the sudden fall Bokuden did not panic and instead analyzed the situation. From the height he was falling from the impact from the fall would likely cause serious injury, if not death. He needed a plan and needed it immediately. “Ugh, this is such a waste of chakra,” he scolded himself as he weaved a sequence of hand signs and expelled a large amount of water from him mouth, “But I don’t have all that much of a choice.” Immediately the water he expelled took the form of a clone of himself in free fall right beside him. Bokuden extended his sheathed sword out to his clones who then grabbed it and swung it around midair, releasing it and Bokuden as it completed its spin and threw them towards the rock wall.

While hurdling towards the stone wall Bokuden managed to reposition his body, having his feet facing the wall as he flew towards it. He bent his knees as he landed, touching his right hand down against the wall and extending his left arm out to hold his weapon as he landed on the wall in a crouching position. As he began to rapidly slide down the wall he unsheathed his sword with his right hand and plunged it into the wall behind him, using it to slow down his fall until he was at a safe enough altitude to jump down and land free of harm on his own. As he raised himself up, Bokuden stepped away from the wall and into the open in the Tethys grounds, sheathing his weapons and letting the heat from the lava streams sink in. They were almost sauna-like in nature, bringing him a measure of relaxation as he rested from his most recent near death experience.

“Hey! I thought I might join you in training. I hope you don’t mind.” A familiar voice called out to Bokuden from behind, prompting him to turn around immediately. To his surprise the source of the call was Misoka, who had apparently taken the directions from the note to locate him. His mind immediately assumed the worst almost out of instinct, her sudden appearance making him wonder if something had happened. Once he calmed himself down however, he realized what she had just said and immediately calmed down. She halted her approach a few meters away from him and proceeded to tie her hair back into a ponytail and tug on her gloves as if preparing for a fight. Bokuden felt his face begin to blush at her sudden appearance and more importantly her new look. This tough and almost defiant side of Misoka that was now on display was so incredibly different from the shy and reserved Misoka he had come to know… and he liked it. Bokuden found this new attitude that she was exuding to be incredibly attractive.  He raised an eyebrow as she smiled at him and assumed a fighting stance, calling out to him, ”Why don’t we have a spar? This might make us stronger than any other training on our own.”

“You want to do what now?” Bokuden replied, buying himself some time to figure out how to answer Misoka’s proposition, “I don’t think that is a great idea. Spars can get pretty dangerous, even when trying to exert control. We are shinobi after all. After all that I’ve done to try to keep you safe since I’ve met you, I don’t know if I could bring myself to launch an attack against you. You would win by default.”      

Training: 1048

Chakra:

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
He declined? Misoka stood upright again, a number of emotions flitting across her face. Irritation. Thoughtfulness. But in the end, it was the mere bewilderment which remained in her eyes.
So first she would have to convince Bokuden? Or should she just let it go?
If she hadn’t needed a sparring partner so urgently, she might have gone for the second option and let him have his way. Fact was, however, that she would have to fight her enemies sooner or later. Fight. Not run away or perform some jutsus on her own. And from the information she’d gathered so far, everything pointed to sooner.
A spar with Bokuden could be the perfect practise, the one she’d definitely been lacking over the past three months wandering around.

Unsure of how to dissipate his doubts, though, Misoka found herself stammering at first.
“Um.. come on, you could get hurt everywhere and at any given time. Err... you could... for instance... trip and fall off a cliff.” What an accurate example. As if someone would be so stupid as to not watch where they were going and fall off a cliff.
Misoka chewed on her lower lip, desperately trying to come up with better reasons why he should agree to a spar.
“Alright, I know you think I’m a shy little girl and probably weak and in need of being protected by you,” she then spoke up, “But.. I’m not like that in combat at all! Uh, I mean, I'm not weak in general. I can fight and I can defend myself. I... um...” Wouldn’t this sound, well, arrogant? Oh, screw it. “I was trained by the Kazekage! Kuroka Gin, she’s also a kenjutsu user.”
At least she wasn’t lying. Fighting a man seemed the only time she wasn’t afraid of close physical contact. This was something Gin had made sure to imprint on her mind. As a ninja, you couldn’t just go choose your opponents. Man or woman, animal or puppet – You must be prepared to fight anyone.

Misoka looked down at her feet for a moment, musing over what else she could possibly say. Their first meeting came to her mind and as embarrassing as she felt about pointing out the following, she did so regardless.
“I don’t know anyone else I could ask for a spar. No, listen... there are three people I know in Kumo. Your friends Nagare and Jishin and you. Well, your friends don’t like me.” What exactly Bokuden felt about her was a bit more of a mystery to her. It still surprised her that he would let her stay at his house, someone he didn’t even know all that well. Um, no, it surprised her most that she had filled him in on her current situation.
Either way, there was something connecting them and she hoped it could already be called friendship. If not, he wouldn’t be so nice to her, would he?
She involuntarily remembered the note he’d left her, all the things he’d mentioned: She could help herself to anything in the house, fridge, pantry – This alone showed the trust he put in her. Oh, thinking of that note, why did he write about the kiss? Certainly so she wouldn’t read too much into it. Yes, that seemed like a plausible explanation. She still believed he already had a girlfriend and only hoped she wouldn’t run into her anytime soon. The girl would probably try to kill her. And she couldn't die just yet.

“Uh...” Misoka locked eyes with Bokuden again, giving him the sweetest smile she could offer, and added pleadingly. “We can just start out slow... spar for a little while, take a break and continue. Please?”
Okay, this had to work. How else was she going to convince him? Give him money? Right... she couldn’t afford to lose one penny at the moment.

---
Training Doton C-> B; Training Body Flicker Technique 1030 w.

Last edited by Misoka on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
Bokuden grew concerned for a moment as Misoka stared at him after he declined to spar with her. The look on her face, strangely, was one of shock, much to Bokuden’s surprise. Between the bewilderment and the many other emotions he could feel beaming forth from her eyes , almost piercing his own,  Bokuden only felt more unsure of how exactly he should respond in a situation like this. Was she angry with him because he didn’t want to take the chance that he might accidentally hurt her? She didn’t actually believe he would willingly raise his hands against her, did she? He pondered the possibility of saying something, anything, to break up the awkward silence that had blanketed the moment after he refused her offer, but couldn’t seem to find the words that would make everything okay.

Before he even got the chance to speak up however, Misoka took the initiative. “Um.. come on, you could get hurt everywhere and at any given time,” she stammered, seemingly as unsure of how to approach the situation as he was, “Err... you could... for instance... trip and fall off a cliff.” Bokuden’s eyes widened at the extremely specific and relevant example she gave, almost tempting him to turn away from the potential embarrassment in the event that she saw that. Misoka bit her bottom lip, seemingly searching for the right words to say before finally continuing, “Alright, I know you think I’m a shy little girl and probably weak and in need of being protected by you, but.. I’m not like that in combat at all! Uh, I mean, I'm not weak in general. I can fight and I can defend myself. I... um... I was trained by the Kazekage! Kuroka Gin, she’s also a kenjutsu user.” Bokuden simply stood there and soaked in the information Misoka was giving to him, completely unsure of what to make of it. What was there to say? Misoka didn’t seem to be willing to drop this and appeared intent on pushing the issue by trying to convince Bokuden to change his mind. Once again Misoka prevented Bokuden from objecting as she continued shyly, “I don’t know anyone else I could ask for a spar. No, listen... there are three people I know in Kumo. Your friends Nagare and Jishin and you. Well, your friends don’t like me. Uh... We can just start out slow... spar for a little while, take a break and continue. Please?”

Bokuden remained silent for a moment as he lamented the decision he was about to make. Despite every fiber of his being telling him it was a bad idea and that he shouldn’t do it, there was some part of him that just kept urging him to give Misoka what she wanted. It was almost like he just couldn’t say no to her. “I can’t believe that I’m actually about to do this,” Bokuden thought to himself before raising his head to look Misoka in the eyes and speaking aloud, “I… alright. I’ll spar with you. There is however, a condition to my agreement. You can train as you wish and use whatever jutsu or tactics you want, but if I tell you to do something or decide to end the match you have to do so immediately and without question. Please, I don’t know if I could forgive myself if I actually hurt you.”

Training: 1631

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
“Yes!” As if someone had flipped a switch, her eyes hardened and her shy smile turned into a smirk. She was about to fight someone, not have a tea-party. What did Gin used to say to her? ‘Don’t hold back, be fierce. Your enemy won’t go easy on you either.’ But... wait. Wasn’t that what Bokuden was going to do? His so-called condition?
“You can train as you wish and use whatever jutsu or tactics you want, but if I tell you to do something or decide to end the match you have to do so immediately and without question. Please, I don’t know if I could forgive myself if I actually hurt you.”
Huh? Where was the fun in that? Misoka only shrugged. “But I’ll forgive you. Injuries heal. And if we do have a serious accident, there’s always a hospital nearby. I’ll just tell them I tripped.”
Having said that non-chalantly, she assumed a fighting stance again, pondering on how to start her first attack.
On a side note, she hoped the combative smirk on her face along with her narrowed eyes weren’t a tad too much. She believed it was best to try to intimidate one’s opponent from the very start, especially if you were a woman. Most of the people she’d fought against in the past hadn’t taken her seriously.
Um... and the only reason for that had to be her gender, yes. It couldn’t possibly make someone laugh if she was looking at them like.. – it was hard to think of an example right now which didn’t belittle her fighting stance, oh hang on! - .. a tiger. Yes, a wild dangerous animal. Bokuden better prepared for her vicious attack. She was going to make him weep and beg for mercy. And she'd already decided which jutsu would prove her point.
Repeating these lines in her head in order to boost her self-esteem, Misoka proceeded to jump backwards while quickly forming the tiger hand seal. She still knew this was just a spar so she decided to put some distance between them for her attack. Plus, since she’d never fought him or seen him fight before, she wasn’t sure about his ninja rank.

“Time to play! Bwahaha!” Misoka then taunted him with the most evil laugh she could manage and exhaled the fire which had built up in her lungs. The Katon jutsu increased the temperature only further, making her break into a light sweat.
She didn’t really think she’d hit him straight on. Any sane person would try to dodge this attack or block it somehow and after all, she didn’t want to hurt him badly. What she hoped for was a grazing hit.
While she was breathing out the last bit of fire in her, she already wondered how Bokuden’s counter-attack would look like.
Would he draw his sword, initiating close combat, or shoot back a ninjutsu of his own? Perhaps he was a genjutsu expert, though, and would try to plant horrifying images in her mind. At any case, she had to stay alert.

Chakra 185/200:

---
Training Doton C-> B; Training Body Flicker Technique 1554 w.

Last edited by Misoka on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
Misoka’s face immediately perked up the moment he agreed to spar with her and although it was nice to see her happy again it didn’t make him feel much better about the whole situation. As a matter of fact, neither did her way of trying to try and work her way around Bokuden’s conditions with her words. It wasn’t a matter of whether she would forgive him, or if the injuries would heal, or if there was a hospital nearby. It was no slight against her or her abilities, but Bokuden could tell just by her movements that the gap in power between them was as distant as the heavens were from the earth. He’d be afraid to use his weaker jutsu against her for fear of overdoing it. Honestly this was likely going to turn from a sparring match into Misoka using Bokuden as target practice as he dodged and batted away jutsu.

She would soon reassume her fighting stance once again, that confident smirk and look of defiance drawing Bokuden into her spell once again. For a moment he almost forgot that he was about to get into a fight as his gaze remained fixated upon his alluring opponent. He did manage to snap himself out of it though, just in time to see her narrow her eyes at him as if to put on an intimidating look. Needless to say, he was not intimidated in the slightest, as the serious expression only served to make her appear more attractive than she already was. This was a nightmare situation for Bokuden. It was bad enough that his opponent was a woman, already breaking one of his personal principles regarding never engaging in combat against a woman unless absolutely necessary. The idea of striking a woman was one he found barbaric enough, but to raise his hand against… her?

His train of thought was interrupted by the sight of Misoka suddenly leaping back as if to put distance between them and immediately make the tiger hand sign. “Tiger,” Bokuden mused to himself as he watched his opponent’s moves carefully, “So katon it is then.” The expression on his face remained serious, emotionless, and cold as it always was when he was engaged in combat. That is until he heard Misoka’s taunt and raised an eyebrow as she clearly faked a menacing laugh. He couldn’t help but smirk at the intimidation tactic, finding it cute and slightly glad to see this emboldened side of Misoka for once. Immediately after her taunt Misoka exhaled the katon chakra that she had apparently been molding in her lungs and expelled it in the form of an enormous fireball flying right in Bokuden’s direction. “Oh, so she’s being serious?” Bokuden mused as he charged a large amount of ration chakra into his right hand, “I guess I should at least put on a show for her.” With that he unleashed his Wave of Inspiration forward at the fireball, aiming it slightly off to the side so that Misoka wouldn’t be caught in the blast. The fireball and pile of rocks that the ration jutsu did hit however would not be so fortunte as the fireball would be barreled through by the superior strength of Bokuden’s ration and the rock formation would shatter and crumble from the force.

Training: 2196

Chakra: 289/350:

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
Misoka sprang to the side in order to dodge some of the rocks coming her way, instinctively throwing her hands up in front of her to protect her face from the blast.
After the dust had cleared, she couldn’t completely hide the baffled look adorning her features.
Had he just countered her attack to this extent with nothing but a D-rank raiton technique? It slowly dawned upon her that Bokuden must, in fact, be superior to her; not only that, he could probably knock her out by just snapping his fingers. But how was that possible? He wasn’t much older than she! Who had taught him to fight like that?
Frustration started rising inside her, yet she was careful not to display any traces of it on her face. Could that be the true reason why Bokuden was so reluctant to fight her? Because she was simply no challenge to him?
‘Hah, I can still give him a hard time!’ she told herself fiercely and called out to her opponent, the tough smile reappearing on her lips. “Is this all you’ve got?”
She tucked back a stray strand of hair and then lifted her arm, waving provokingly. “What are you waiting for? Come at me!” ‘Don’t come... I mean, I can handle anything you throw at me!’
Before Bokuden could even take the time to respond to her taunt, she already went on quickly,”Oh, so you’re too scared. Well, I can’t blame you. Then it’s my turn again!” ‘No... what do I do now?’
As a matter of fact, Misoka talked a lot, probably more than the average, in combat. She would never admit to anyone that it was mostly done to preserve her confidence throughout the fight as she tended to let pessimistic thoughts pester her sooner than later.

Exhaling briskly, she wasted no more time dashing forward, ready to initiate close combat herself. She wanted to test him, figure out his strengths and more importantly, his weaknesses, analyze his battle tactics. And in order to do so, she had to be bold enough to take a risk.
Her right hand was clenched into a fist and covered with a thin layer of chakra to increase the force of her punches.
She approached Bokuden sideways, leaping in the air shortly before him, and aimed at his face – of course not without commenting on her action,”I’m sorry, this might get unpleasant!”
In her other hand, she was clasping a kunai so she could at least try and parry his attack if he decided to draw his sword.

---
Training Doton C-> B; Training Body Flicker Technique 1992 w.

Last edited by Misoka on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
Bokuden let out a sigh as he witnessed Misoka guard her face and jump off to the side in order to avoid the stone shards that flew in all directions after his counter attack. “So even limiting myself to this level of jutsu is too much, huh?” he lamented to himself as he returned his hand to his side, arcs of electricity still sparking around it, “This is exactly why I didn’t want to do this. I guess this means no more offensive jutsu for the rest of the spar. I wonder if that was the extent of her strength…” He locked eyes with Misoka after she lowered her arms for a brief moment only to see the obvious expression of surprise on her face. Apparently she expected him to be… weak? No matter, that was about the limit of how powerful an offensive jutsu he was actually willing to use against her and even then he purposefully did not aim to hit her. “Still,” he thought to himself as the look of shock faded from her eyes and a confident smile returned to her face, “Maybe I shouldn’t underestimate her. Just because I’m not going to attack her doesn’t mean I can’t make this a challenge.”

“Is this all you’ve got?” Misoka called out haughtily as she adjusted a stray hair that had fallen over her face, as if she didn’t just get overwhelmed, “What are you waiting for? Come at me!” Bokuden honestly wasn’t sure how he was supposed to react to the taunt, staring at her direction as she beckoned him come with a wave. With no words coming to mind for a reply he simply returned an amused smirk as a reward for her resilience. Before Bokuden could even attempt to force words out however, Misoka already proceeded to continue with her taunting, “Oh, so you’re too scared. Well, I can’t blame you. Then it’s my turn again!” With that Misoka darted forward towards Bokuden, seemingly falling back to close combat after her ranged attack ended in failure. Unfortunately for her Bokuden’s close quarter combat prowess exceeded even his ninjutsu capabilities, making an attempt to close the gap on Bokuden a risky endeavor to say the least.

As she drew in closer she leapt into the air and cocked back her arm, presumably to launch a punch. “Close your eyes. Now,” he would say out loud and then without hesitation, Bokuden would immediately proceed to weave a sequence of hand signs and activate his Raiton: Blind Faith technique, creating a blinding flash to cover his movements. While her vision was impaired or she had taken his advice and closed her eyes midair Bokuden would immediately dash around to position himself behind her and catch her in his arms to prevent her from hitting the ground as she would need to have closed her eyes to prevent being blinded and either way be unable to see during her landing. “You know,” he said as he cradled her in his arms, “Charging at an enemy head on is dangerous if you are unaware of their skill set. It is even more dangerous if that opponent knows your weakness like I do.” Before even explaining what he meant by that Bokuden would lean his head down to hers and kiss her on the cheek before gently letting her down, “Now if you have another strategy, I advise you try that. Attacking me head on will get you nowhere. If not we can end the spar right here if you so choose. I still owe you lunch after all.”

Training Suiton S>SS: 2700

Training: 117

Chakra 279/350:

Last edited by Bokuden on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to spoiler the jutsu~)

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
“Close your eyes. Now.” A puzzled look crossed her face and Misoka half-heartedly wondered whether he was joking. After all, she was about to launch an attack for which she needed to see where she was aiming at.
“Why would I-“ The moment she started protesting, an extremely bright flash of light emitted from Bokuden’s hands and blinded her.
Searing pain across her eyes. Then blackness. She blinked several times despite the soreness lingering in her eyes, but her vision wouldn’t return in the slightest. Her mind was spinning with all sorts of accusations directed at herself.
She should’ve listened to Bokuden, no – she should’ve seen his attack coming and reacted more quickly. His first ninjutsu used had already proved him to be a raiton user and at that point she should’ve already expected him to know a blinding technique as well. Alright, she officially hated the lightning element now.
Her eyes squinted shut to ease the pain, Misoka prepared herself for landing on the ground. She would only embarrass herself further if she couldn’t do that blindly, but then she felt someone catch her midair. No, not someone. Of course it must be Bokuden. There was no-one else around.
The frustration from before returned, burning inside her like fire, and Bokuden’s words did nothing but fan the flames.
“You know, charging at an enemy head on is dangerous if you are unaware of their skill set.”
Yes! Yes, she knew that. She knew it’d been reckless. In a real fight, she would probably lie dead on the ground already. But she just wanted to... alright, alright, she should’ve given it more thought before rushing forward. Not enough? Alright, she was useless! There.
..No, she couldn’t afford to be completely useless. She still had to deal with her clan. And why was she losing her patience so quickly now? A shinobi wasn’t supposed to snap in the middle of a fight.
It was only when she felt Bokuden’s lips against her cheek that she realized how close he was holding her to him. Her face flamed up and she started struggling.
“S-Stay back!” she yelped, feeling even more helpless now that she couldn’t see anything. When he let her down, Misoka freed herself from his grip and turned around to face him. At least she could say he logically had to be in front of her then. He went on, asking if she had another strategy or if she wanted to end this match and something about lunch, possibly an attempt to lure her out of their hopeless spar.

After he’d finished speaking, she remained silent for a while and then only lifted her hands defensively, not sure whether he would approach her. “Hold it right there!”
It was terrible that she wasn’t able to rely on her eyes anymore. She imagined Bokuden shaking his head, shocked about her pathetic skills and her stupidity to fall for his blinding jutsu, which would also be the reason why he suggested to end this spar.
Or perhaps he was grinning mischievously, knowing he could beat her to a pulp if he wanted to.
Either way, she couldn't help but give in to her frustration. Before she even thought about continuing their spar, she had to get an answer to that annoying question in her mind.
“Wh-What is wrong with you? Why are you so strong?” she asked defiantly as though it was a crime to be that skilled. “You are about my age, aren’t you? But you could probably take on a Jounin with ease! This is... um... this isn’t fair...”
Misoka trailed off with a sigh, letting her hands drop to her sides. And what if she was the problem? What if she was just too weak? Too thoughtless in combat? ‘Well, of course it’s your fault,’ her inner voice remarked sarcastically. ‘You have no talent at all. Be glad you made it through the Chunin exams.’
Oh, great, her pessimism kicked in again.
Knowing that she shouldn’t show her feelings so openly, Misoka quickly regained her composure and added before he could answer her,”I mean, this is amazing! Incredible! And I’ve not even seen you use your sword yet! Do you even have a weakness? No, sorry, forget it, just – congratulations!”
She feigned a laugh, but the awkward sound of it made her blush.
It certainly didn’t help that her vision was still not fully developed as she peaked her eyes open. All she could make out was Bokuden’s blurred outline. Hopefully, the effect of the jutsu would soon wear off.

---
Training Doton C->B 2000/2000
Training Body Flicker Technique: 750/750
Training: 31 w.

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
“S-Stay back!” Misoka exclaimed as she struggled in Bokuden’s arms trying to free herself from him. At first he believed that this was just Misoka panicking after having her eyesight taken from her. It was a natural response, very few people were prepared to deal with a debilitation like the loss of one’s eyesight so suddenly. It was almost a reflexive response to become defensive and panic after being blinded, especially in the middle of a fight where it might pose the most danger. Bokuden understood this well enough and decided he would try to at least put her down gently to allow her to recompose herself before anything else happened. Her struggling however, continued even while he tried to let her down, causing her to bat his hand away from her harshly as she struggled and pulled away from him. It would immediately become painfully clear to Bokuden that the source of Misoka’s fear was not the blindness… it was him. He quickly pulled the hand she slapped away back with an expression on his face that combined shock and horror, not that she could have seen it. What made matters worse was the defensive manner in which she lifted her hands. It wasn’t the way one would defend themselves against someone they knew in a friendly sparring match, the way she franticly tried to defend herself was more reminiscent of someone fearfully trying to defend themselves from an enemy.

There was a short period of silence between them after Misoka pulled herself away from Bokuden, but to him it felt like an eternity. “Hold it right there!” Misoka yelled, causing Bokuden to feel as if his heart had sunken into his stomach. What could he say? He froze as the sight of Misoka fearfully pushing him away seared itself into his mind, any words he might have used to reply being caught in his throat. “I did this to her…” Bokuden lamented to himself as he stood, still horrified by the situation, “She’s like this… she’s afraid because of me. No. She isn’t afraid because of me. She’s afraid… of me.”

“Wh-What is wrong with you? Why are you so strong?” Misoka yelled out in an almost accusatory tone, “You are about my age, aren’t you? But you could probably take on a Jounin with ease! This is... um... this isn’t fair... I mean, this is amazing! Incredible! And I’ve not even seen you use your sword yet! Do you even have a weakness? No, sorry, forget it, just – congratulations!”

Her words didn’t even phase Bokuden as his mind was completely absorbed by the image of Misoka fearfully ordering him to stay away from her. He had known that Misoka was jumpy and reserved, but he never expected this kind of reaction. It was deflating to say the least, as if all the progress he felt he had made with her has been erased in a moment, the trust he felt he was gaining painted over in a coat of fear. “Misoka…” Bokuden began cautiously, the anguish and disappointment audible in his voice, “Calm down, everything is going to be alright. I’m going to step towards you now, so don’t be alarmed. I just want to check on the effects of my jutsu, alright? Just listen for the sound of my voice.” Bokuden would cautiously approach Misoka head on, deliberately making each movement louder than normal for her to hear so that she would know exactly where he was.

“Don’t be scared. I’m right here, it’s just me,” Bokuden said once he was directly in front of her, gently taking her wrist into his left hand and covering over her eyes with his right, “Please, keep your eyes closed. The jutsu’s lingering effects can last a while and trying to strain your way through it won’t help. Just remain like this for a few moments and I’ll guide you through this, I promise.” A brief moment of pause followed that as he awaited for an answer before continuing, hoping she would allow him this small act of reassurance to make up for his previous actions. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for this to happen,” he continued, frustration and sorrow breaking through in his voice, “I tried to warn you… I tried… No, I should never have used that jutsu against you. Forgive me. When you pushed me away… that expression you gave me, your words… I just… let me help you. Please don’t be afraid of me.” He would keep his hand over her eyes for a few more moments before removing it, brushing aside some stray strands as he pulled it back. “There it should be okay now. Open your eyes and tell me what you see,” he said as he stood before her, a broken smile attempting to mask his hurt.

Training: 947

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
She heard his words, and somewhere in the back of her mind she understood the meaning of them, but the sight of a blurred figure coming her way sent shivers down her spine. How could she close her eyes now? Not seeing it didn't make it go away. Or any less torturous. She knew that. She'd known it for a very long time.
Misoka took a step back, instinctively, then another one. The agonizing feeling of fear was working its way through her body, urging her to turn away. Run. Escape.
"Just remain like this for a few seconds and I'll guide you through this, I promise."
She tried her hardest to concentrate on the voice, a voice which sounded so different from the ones haunting her in her head. Blurs of movement, lips curved up into a smirk.
Come, little girl, come to me. No. She didn't want to remember. She wanted to forget. Over and over again.
Finally, Misoka let her eyelids fall, flinching ever so slightly at the blackness enveloping her. It was okay. It was just Bokuden. Was it okay?
Memories, muddled, a mess of details, filtered through her mind, making it impossible to restrain the shudder of fear.
"I..I'm fine. I'll just wait. Until...it's over," Misoka said weakly, not sure if her words were a proper response to whatever Bokuden had.. asked? She couldn't remember him posing a question. Her thoughts felt slow, as though they were frozen, and there was a persistent ringing in her ears which refused to dissipate. It was painful, but familiar nonetheless.
"Please don't be afraid of me." Then Bokuden's voice managed to coax her attention and pull her away from the turmoil that the blackness had thrown her into.
At this moment, she felt something touch her eyes, brushing over them like a soft breeze. ..Chakra?
It lasted for only a few heartbeats, but it still soothed the throbbing in her head.

When she hesitantly opened her eyes, she had to take a moment to adjust to the brightness surrounding her. Everything was back to normal. Wasn't it? Her eyes flitted around, then they found Bokuden's, not without hesitation, though. His smile seemed off.
The storm inside her subsided and was gradually replaced with embarrassment. No wonder he was taking pity on her after experiencing one of her panic attacks.
She spun around, unable to face him while she was trying to explain herself as normally as possible.
"I..I'm sorry, I might've panicked a little there. I guess I'm just not used to.. uh.. not seeing anything... whatever," she stuttered. The urge to play tough returned, making her almost wince at the way she'd already made a fool out of herself. She ran a hand through her hair, realizing just how much her fingers were trembling, and exhaled in a frustrated sigh.
"I hate this." It was not more than a whisper and the moment it was out, she hoped Bokuden hadn't caught it. He had already seen enough of her trauma's after-effects. Not that he would really understand any of it. The fact she shied away from a man's touch, the fact she met a man's gaze with nothing but wariness and fear.
She thought she'd gotten over it after two years of working on that issue, but apparantly, a sudden vision loss was enough to make her fall back into old patterns.
'Cut it out,' her inner voice broke through her confusion. 'You've already scared him to death probably.' And it had just been a weak D-rank jutsu he'd used on her. Oh, the shame, she could taste it. Bittersweet on her tongue.
Where had her confidence gone? At least the overconfidence she always pretended to have in combat.

"You didn't answer my question." She bit her lower lip, squinted her eyes shut for a moment and planted a smug smile on her face. Right. Enough of that whining. And she could never stand it if Bokuden tried to cheer her up or anything similar to that. Hey, they were still in the middle of a spar!
She made sure any traces of uneasiness had disappeared from her face when she turned around, flashing him the smile she'd been practising before. "So, which rank of shinobi?"
Satisfied with her playful tone, Misoka threw her fist in the air cheerfully. "And whatever your answer may be, I've still got a few aces up my sleeve! Well.. let's say I can at least try some other jutsus on you."
Yes. That was better, much better. Strong and independent. She'd always wanted to be like that. Like Gin-sensei. Like so many others she'd admired from afar.
So why was her heart still filled with uncertainty? Why did she still expect failure deep down? 'Because I'll never be like Gin.' The thought stung. 'Because my favorite thing to do is pretending.'

---
Training: 877 w.

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
Misoka hesitantly opened her eyes, struggling to readjust to the light for a moment as she attempted to follow Bokuden’s prompt. After her short adjustment period Misoka’s gaze would once again meet with his, her face turning a blush red as she locked eyes with him. It would last only a moment however, as Misoka would almost immediately turn away, once again hiding herself from Bokuden out of embarrassment, or fear, or something else that he was somehow triggering that was making her pull away from him. The forced smile perched upon his lips melted away as he was met with the sight of the back of Misoka’s head. “So it’s just always going to be like this…” he thought to himself as he exhaled disappointedly, “I should just stop trying…”

The silence was broken by a stuttering Misoka, seemingly trying to recompose herself after her display, "I..I'm sorry, I might've panicked a little there. I guess I'm just not used to.. uh.. not seeing anything... whatever." There was obviously more to it than that, it wouldn’t have taken an expert in reading people to tell that. Her statement did however, make him beat himself up a bit more about using that jutsu against her. He didn’t actually intend for it to blind her, he just wanted her to stop in her tracks. That’s why he even told her to close her eyes moments before he activated the jutsu. He expected her to take his cue and react, but that was beside the point.  He was fully cognizant of the gap in power between the two of them and he should never have used a jutsu like that in the first place. From where he was standing Bokuden could see the trembling of her hands as she ran them back through her hair and could hear her sigh of frustration before whispering out the phrase, “I hate this,” to herself.

“I hate this?” Bokuden pondered to himself after hearing the words escape from her lips in a barely audible tone, “What does she mean by that? Is… she talking about me?” Bokuden gulped down air as he felt as though a weight were bearing down on his chest, as if to deprive him of oxygen. “So that jutsu really did it then…” he lamented as he balled his hands up into loose fists, “She’ll probably leave right after this because I went that far.”

“You didn’t answer my question,” Misoka said, snapping Bokuden out of his own thoughts. He raised his head out of curiosity to see Misoka turn to face him and flash him a smile before continuing, “So, which rank of shinobi? And whatever your answer may be, I've still got a few aces up my sleeve! Well.. let's say I can at least try some other jutsus on you.”

Bokuden raised an eyebrow at the sudden change in attitude of the girl before him. It was strange, only a moment ago she was terrified, unable to even face him… and now this? What was she getting at? Despite the fact that he was happy to see her seemingly cheered up and over whatever was bothering her before the frown did not fade from his face. “That’s not an appropriate question to be asking,” Bokuden said sternly before allowing his lips to form into a grin, “You’re a shinobi. You know the risks associated with speaking freely of information like that. But… I’ll make you a deal. If you can land a single hit on me I’ll tell you what you want to know.” He paused for a moment as he allowed Misoka to absorb what he was telling her. “However, if you cannot,” he continued, turning his face slightly and touching a finger to his cheek, “You have to give me a kiss. Deal?” He smiled at her playfully as he tried to cover up his feeling just as she had done.

Training: 1621

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
Risks? Was he expecting her to spill the information to every person she met? Moreover, why would she speak to anyone about him? Let alone the fact that she didn’t even know people who could possibly pose a threat to him. As she’d mentioned before, there were his own friends and... oh, right, there was that other boy... Kenji. She’d completely forgotten about him. He must be the reason why Bokuden wanted to keep his rank a secret. From what she had grasped the other day, they were rivals or something similar to that.
Misoka found herself to be so lost in thought that she almost missed Bokuden’s next words. But only almost. “If you can land a single hit on me I’ll tell you what you want to know. However, if you cannot, you have to give me a kiss. Deal?”
Her eyes widened while she felt her cheeks flame up. What kind of deal was that? She quickly managed to swallow down the “Pardon me?!” which had threatened to escape her lips. After he had already become involuntary witness of one of her not too brightest moments, she didn’t want to further drop the mood by suggesting he might be disgusting. And it wasn’t like that after all. Just that... she was scared. An emotion she found more than inappropriate to show at times like these. Instead, she intended to keep the atmosphere light and playful.
“Oh, I get it,” Misoka therefore replied in a hopefully casual tone. “You are a ... ladies' man, aren’t you? You know, the kind to hit on every girl just for fun.” She faked a laugh, slowly assuming a fighting stance. “Then I better give it my best for your girlfriend’s sake!”

Without wasting any more time since she hoped to catch him off-guard, she formed the required hand seal and created five clones of herself. All of them dashed forward in a blur, circling their target, with the real Misoka preparing for the attack she truly wanted to launch at her opponent. She knew that Bokuden would easily see through her clones and pick them out, but they could still serve as a momentary distraction.
‘Tiger.’ Her expression grew stern as she did yet another hand seal and turned the ground beneath Bokuden into a massive river of mud, assuming he would have to leap in the air to dodge that jutsu. And if he did that, she was ready to jump herself, out of her group of clones, and attempt a physical assault from behind. Okay, let's just say, she wanted to land that magical hit on him with her fist.

Training 1328 w.

170/200:

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
Misoka stood in silence for a second, seemingly stunned by Bokuden’s offer. The shock was visible on her face as her gorgeous turquoise eyes became wide opened and the hue of her cheeks changed from their normal alabaster to a distinct rouge. It seemed as though Bokuden’s inclination as to the source of her distress was accurate: Her statement about it being because of her eyes was a lie. What she was really fearful of was Bokuden, or at least being close enough to him to perform acts of intimacy, even something as harmless as a kiss on the cheek. The cold realization that he was the source of Misoka’s fear and distress felt like a dagger piercing cleanly through his chest. Even now, after all that has been said and all of the progress he felt he had made in getting her to open up to him he realized in that moment that they were still at square one. “She’s afraid of me…” Bokuden lamented in his own mind as his crestfallen gaze tilted down towards the ground, “No wonder she started behaving like that. I took the fact that she didn’t object to the kiss on the cheek last night as a sign that she was comfortable with it, but now I see that I must have been scaring her half to death with my actions.”

“Oh, I get it,” Misoka interrupted, cutting through Bokuden’s self-reproof and snapping him back into the moment, “You are a ... ladies' man, aren’t you? You know, the kind to hit on every girl just for fun.” Bokuden had no idea how to answer that question. Although he would never put a label like that on himself it would be disingenuous to say that the definition was completely inaccurate. Even so, this wasn’t like that. Not that he would ever be able to convince her of his benevolent intentions after the display he had been putting on. Before he could even be given the chance to respond however, Misoka took the initiative and continued her own speech with taunting playfulness, “Then I better give it my best for your girlfriend’s sake!”

Then suddenly, wasting no time in trying to gain the element of surprise, Misoka would activate a basic cloning jutsu to create multiple copies of herself which would then charge forward and encircle Bokuden’s position. It was a basic enough tactic to see through without much issue even for shinobi who weren’t talented sensory ninja as Bokuden was. With Bokuden’s kekkei genkai however, seeing through an Academy level cloning jutsu was a trivial matter. Not one did the real Misoka’s electrical signal escape his sensory range, allowing him to pinpoint her position at any given time during the maneuver. To his surprise, although he had been expecting some kind of attempted sneak attack using the clones as cover to get in close with taijutsu, what he instead felt was his body begin to sink into the ground below his feet. Upon looking down he would immediately begin being dragged away from his current position in a river of mud.

Training: 2152

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
Oddly enough, the fact that Bokuden hadn't dodged her jutsu after all took her completely by surprise. Having already prepared to jump upwards, she had to stop mid-action and straighten her knees again. So ... her attack might be a success? For a moment there, she froze, almost believing he must have put her under a genjutsu which generously granted her eyes the sight before her: Bokuden being dragged away in a river of mud - a jutsu she'd used on him, on Bokuden whose power could almost be felt radiating from him and she did that.
It wasn't exactly that Misoka didn't have any confidence in her fighting skills, instead... well, maybe there was a little truth in that. The boisterous attitude she liked to cover herself with, especially or almost exclusively in combat when she needed it most, did have a grave disadvantage: It was fake, more or less good acting, yes, but prone to crumble every now and then. Like in that very moment.

She quickly had to snap herself out of it, out of the waves of astonishment she had plunged into for a mere second or two, but as a kunoichi she knew every heartbeat of hesitation could turn against you.
'I-I've got him, come on!' Her thoughts encouraged her further to make her move now, before it was already too late, before he had the chance to adapt to the muddy ground beneath him and leap away.
'Katon.' It didn't take any hand seals, only a short flamy breath, and then she immediately spewed the fire ball at her opponent. If the jutsu reached its target, it wouldn't do much damage - Misoka was perfectly aware of that - , but in combination with the mud flow attack she had used before, it would certainly count as a hit.
She had planned it all out in her mind. For one thing, she would get to know Bokuden's secret ninja rank, which, she must admit, would satiate her curiosity rather than anything else. Furthermore, leaving aside her cowardliness concerning men, she would do his girlfriend a great favor. It must be hard to keep him interested in oneself, considering he had a thing for flirting around. Er.. and letting various girls stay at his house. Inviting them to lunch.
Oh well, now she did feel guilty enough already.

Training: 1726 w.

160/200:

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
Almost immediately after getting himself caught in Misoka’s doton jutsu Bokuden would remove a kunai from his side and threw it sharply at the large rock formation in the Tethys Grounds behind Misoka, soaring high over everyone’s head and impaling itself into the stone face. As Bokuden began hurdling backwards, being dragged away from his initial position by a torrent of mud that suddenly appeared beneath him, he remained decidedly calm as his eyes darted over to the image of Misoka as he was dragged by. He locked eyes with her as he passed by her location, taking note of the expression on her face as she saw him caught in her jutsu. Her expression was one of shock, almost frozen in disbelief at the sight of her momentary success. The hesitation was not limited just to her facial expression however, she stood there motionless for a few moments as if she needed to recompose herself after the shock of seeing him being caught in her jutsu.

He couldn’t help but smirk as he saw her hesitation, it was almost flattering that she thought so highly of his skill that she would freeze in shock that one of her jutsu actually managed to connect. That smirk and feeling of satisfaction would be short lived however, as his thoughts shifted away from how she might view him and instead focused on how she might view herself. “She puts up a good front,” he thought to himself as his eyes remained trained onto Misoka, getting further and further from her as the doton jutsu pulled him away, “I wish it was more than bravado, though. I know that face… too well in fact. It’s the face of someone feigning confidence in order to masque their insecurities… putting on airs to hide their fear.” His once satisfied smirk faded into a frown as thoughts of his own struggles with his self-confidence flashed through his head, allowing him to empathize with what he could only hypothesize Misoka was feeling.

Not one to let his emotions dictate his actions Bokuden would quickly turn his attention back to Misoka, his hawk like eyes locking her into his sights. It appeared as though Misoka was finally able to snap herself out of inaction as well, inhaling deeply in what appeared to be preparation for another jutsu. What Misoka ended up firing at Misoka however, surprised him slightly. The flame flying towards him was so small could hardly be called an attack. “Oh well,” he thought to himself as he prepared for impact, “I guess it can’t be helped.” With that Bokuden would stretch his arms wide open almost as if he were offering a hug and allow the small flame to hit him square in the chest. Or at least, it would have hit him square in the chest had he not had his substitution jutsu ready for use. Misoka was sure to be thrilled at the site of the fire colliding with what she thought was his body, but would likely be less than enthused with the prospect of all of her jutsu set up to that point having been wasted in one go.

He would reappear on the rock formation well behind Misoka where the previously thrown kunai he had switched with had. Wasting no time he would call out to Misoka to make her aware of his presence, “Not bad Misoka. Had I not saved my substitution until that point I would likely have fallen victim to such a tactic.” Afterwards he would immediately begin weaving hand seals and calling out to Misoka in a clear and concise tone in order to let her know what was coming next, “I would strongly advise you get  up onto those rocks across from me. Where you are standing won’t be safe for much longer.” He would then wait a few moments for her to heed his warning and get to safety, hoping she learned her lesson to listen to his warnings from the flash from earlier. Once he was sure she was going to be safe from his jutsu he would begin expelling massive quantities of water from his mouth, rising up in the form of small tidal waves crashing violently into the earth as they covered the field.

Training Exploding Water Shock Wave: 2000/2000

Training: 872

Chakra: 249/350:

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
The small fireball flew toward Bokuden, not the most frightening sight for sure, but it was still one of the fastest attacks she could have thought of and which, more importantly, made up for her moments of hesitation.
Her eyes never left her opponent as he was still being dragged away by the flowing mud, the fire now only inches apart from its target, softly hissing as it closed in on him, when Bokuden would all of a sudden spread out his arms and embrace the flame. The gesture seemed out of place as though he had not just been attacked, but greeted by an old friend. Misoka cocked an eyebrow at his posture, taking one more instant to muse to herself why he had permitted the jutsu to hit him so openly. Was he putting on a show along the lines of “See what I can endure”? Certainly, a Katon jutsu of that calibre could not hurt so much.
The sceptical thoughts on that subject, however, were soon to be swept away by the joy flooding through her. After all, she had just succeeded in what she’d been planning to do – She had landed a hit on him! Perhaps she wasn’t as bad as she thought.
“Ye-!” Misoka started calling out victoriously, throwing one fist upward, only to lower it the next second. A loud puffing sound cut through the air and, by the way, through Bokuden as well when his body evaporated, leaving nothing but a kunai behind which was instantaneously pulled down by gravity. “No.”
She knew what he’d done, she knew the Kawarimi no jutsu and how the young Genins, including herself, had always been told to practise it to sheer perfection. It was indeed the perfect tactic to help oneself out in a tight spot despite it being such a basic technique. She should have seen that coming or another method of avoiding her attack and, to be honest, somewhere in the back of her mind she had.
Even so, she couldn’t completely suppress the surge of disappointment she felt at seeing how her strategy had by no means paid off in the end. It had been nothing but a waste of chakra instead.

Then a blur of movement behind her beckoned her to whirl around and dismiss any regrets trying to seep through her heart. Risks had to be taken. A fight wasn’t a quiz game where there was only right or wrong.
Misoka spotted Bokuden approximately ten meters away from her, on the rock formation at which he had thrown the kunai before. She exhaled curtly, preparing herself for his counter-attack. Instead of a weapon or jutsu coming her way, though, she picked up his voice.
“Not bad Misoka. Had I not saved my substitution until that point I would likely have fallen victim to such a tactic.”
He was exaggerating, giving her too much credit for the simple strategy she had come up with. Her clones had already dissolved in thin air upon colliding with her earth jutsu and she still had the feeling they’d done nothing for distraction after all.
For that, assuming the uselessness of her first jutsu, and while she was at it, the failure of her Katon technique as well, she would certainly rate her performance somewhere below “not bad”. More like ... bad? For the lack of creativity.
Despite her train of negative thoughts, she felt a small smile tug at the corners of her lips. No matter what personal opinion she had, Bokuden had still complimented her on her skills just now.
“Um.. thank you!” She called back, a bit shyly as she didn’t think that she deserved his praise. And then she felt stupid for responding to a statement which hadn’t even meant to be a question. And... “thank you”? This sounded awfully conceited. She should have politely denied the truth in his words.
Alright. Stop. Focus.

“I would strongly advise you get up onto those rocks across from me. Where you are standing won’t be safe for much longer.”

Misoka’s attention had jerked back to their spar just in time, it seemed, when Bokuden told her to move. She wasn’t one to make the same mistake twice and so she quickly nodded in agreement, jumping up on the rocks.
The moment she’d done so, Bokuden opened his mouth and spewed out loads of water which would then pour all over the ground. Within mere seconds, the whole field was drowned in it while the water slowly took on the color of a muddy blue. Upon having a closer look, the lake seemed to emit sparks of electricity (?).
Misoka gulped, trying hard not to think about what (a corpse drifting in the water?) or where (hopefully, heaven) she would be now if she hadn’t heeded Bokuden’s advice. She didn’t even make an attempt to hide the shock on her face when she turned to him.
This technique was certainly not a C-ranked. It was far too lethal for that... an A-ranked jutsu might be a lot more likely.
Once again, she found herself pondering on how he had become so skilled or who had taught him to fight like this. What had she been doing wrong over the past years of having the courage to call herself a kunoichi?
Or did Bokuden only look young and, in fact, he might be an adult already?
Either way, this was impressive to say the least.

“Uhh.. not bad?”
She noted jokingly, imitating his choice of words before. The surprise had faded from her features; now it was pure admiration lightening up her face. She threw another glance at the training ground, which had been changed into a swimming pool by Bokuden, and couldn’t keep her thoughts to herself.
“This was unbelievable! How did you do that? And is it just me or did you fuse the water with the slightest bit of lightning chakra? It seems to me the water could shock someone.” Misoka burst out, bending down slightly to have a better look, before straightening up again. “It is lightning chakra, isn't it? I can see the sparks. So you’re a raiton and suiton user, correct? Anything else I need to know? Ah, sorry, I forgot, you don’t want to talk about it. But... wow!”
Too caught up in her excitement about the jutsu Bokuden had showed to her, she stopped thinking about the fact that they were still in the middle of a spar. And that she was most likely supposed to prepare a counter-attack of any sort.

Training Inception Shadow Shuriken 1000/1000

Last edited by Misoka on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
“Uhh... not bad?” Misoka repeated jokingly as she stood in amazement at the results of the jutsu Bokuden had just cast upon the Tethys Grounds. Her facial expression would soon change from one of shock to one of wonder, her glowing turquoise orbs shifting back and forth over the submerged field and back to him. “This was unbelievable!” she exclaimed as she marveled at the site, “How did you do that? And is it just me or did you fuse the water with the slightest bit of lightning chakra? It seems to me the water could shock someone.” Bokuden raised his eyebrow at Misoka’s reaction and smiled as she leaned over the water to get a closer look. “It is lightning chakra, isn't it?” she inquired, alluding to the distinct appearance of the water, “I can see the sparks. So you’re a raiton and suiton user, correct? Anything else I need to know? Ah, sorry, I forgot, you don’t want to talk about it. But... wow!”

Bokuden couldn’t help but let out an amused chuckle at her response, smiling at her almost childlike excitement at the after effects of his jutsu.  “Alright Misoka. Calm down, calm down, you’re going to embarrass me if you make it seem like such a big deal,” he said as he laughed nervously and rubbed the back of his neck, “Don’t worry about the look of the water either, it’s harmless. It’s not actually electrified that is just the appearance that my chakra takes when it’s exerted. My chakra is ration aligned a bit more strongly than others, even other ration users. I guess something like this is just a nice side effect of our power.” Bokuden would then raise himself up from his crouched position and locked gazes with Misoka once again, now standing firmly upright atop the rock formation. “And by the way Misoka,” he begun playfully, offering her a confident smirk, “Also, I’m not sure whether that ladies’ man compliment was meant to be a compliment or a slight, but I’ll take it as the former for now. It can’t be all bad anyway. If you think I’m charming enough for that kind of thing then it means that you find me attractive, no?” Bokuden would stick his tongue out at her teasingly before folding his arms and continuing, “If that’s the case then I don’t think it’s such a bad thing. Maybe I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a flirt, but it isn’t just because you’re a girl. I mean if this was just me making a game of it do you think I’d open up my doors to you. No girl has ever had me so wrapped around her finger like you do now.”

He would laugh the statement off jokingly before locking eyes with Misoka once more, offering as sincere a smile as he could muster before motioning to resume their match. He would bring his hands up to his chest and form the snake hand sign and began molding chakra to perform his next jutsu. “And just so you know,” Bokuden said with a smile, “You don’t have to worry about getting between my girlfriend and I. I don’t have one. Now you said you wanted to train, no? Then let’s continue. I have a kiss to win anyway, remember?”

Training: 1450

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
So that’s how it was. Stronger raiton chakra? Certainly something he could be proud of. Misoka listened to his explanation attentively, nodding a few times to indicate her interest and mulling it over for the short silence that followed afterwards.
Little did she know that her concentration would soon be ruined when she heard Bokuden’s voice once again.
Compliment? Attractive? Misoka’s head shot up, eyes widened as she processed his words quickly and couldn’t help but blush a crimson red. Where did that come from? Few seconds ago, they had been discussing his jutsu and all of a sudden he... What should she answer? What could she answer anyway? Did he even expect a reply? Of course... undoubtedly, she found him tall and handsome and, eh, charming – who would not? - , but...
It only got worse when he went on, the confident smile still placed on his lips. “Maybe I’ll admit that I’m a bit of a flirt, but it isn’t just because you’re a girl. I mean if this was just me making a game of it do you think I’d open up my doors to you.”
...Yes, she had thought just that. Well, no, not every girl, but if she was cute and needed help, she’d suspected he would simply let her stay at his house. Perhaps this was really a bit far-fetched after all – What guy would be so careless as to make his home an official asylum for all nice-looking females out there? How had she even come up with such a silly explanation?  
“No girl has ever had me so wrapped around her finger like you do now.”
Wrapped around... Was he teasing her again? For once, she felt glad her face was already flushed red so she could only hope sincerely it wouldn’t be able to turn a deeper shade. She opened her mouth to say something in return, but the words wouldn’t come, making it seem like she had just shifted into a fish out of water.
And then Bokuden announced he didn’t have a girlfriend, dropping another bombshell on her. Misoka blinked in complete surprise.
“Huh, I thought someone like you...” Oh, seemed like she finally found her voice again. Not that it helped her making any sense, in other words creating coherent information. She trailed off, leaving the unfinished sentence hanging in the air, not sure how it had even managed to escape her lips in the first place.
“I’m sorry I was jumping to conclusions!” she blurted out instead and tried to use Bokuden’s suggestion that they should continue with their spar as an opportunity to switch to fighting mode. This didn’t work as well as planned, though. “Yes, let’s... do this! And... yes.”
Catching sight of Bokuden forming the Snake hand seal, she gasped and exclaimed in a hurry,”H-Hang on, I missed my turn-“
Immediately, Misoka covered her mouth with both her hands, but the words were already out. She couldn’t believe she had just let something like that slip. A fight between shinobis wasn’t a turn-based [author’s note: Pokemon xD] game, but usually a matter of life and death, always in favor of the person who reacted more quickly and maintained their composure.
Why was she so easily distracted? First, by a jutsu – as awesome as it was, she should have never dropped her guard like that. Then, how could have Bokuden’s words dazzled her so much? She used to believe she was immune to sweet-talk, particularly in combat.

“Ahem.” She cleared her throat and finally turned her attention to the water field, channeling chakra to her feet as an attempt to do something meaningful for a change.
When she was prepared – or at least she’d thought so - , Misoka hopped off the rocks she was standing on and onto the water surface. This amount of chakra control was a piece of cake of course... oh, and her left foot had deliberately stepped into the moisture, making her almost lose her balance. She found herself flailing about for a moment before she could regain her concentration at last.
Trying to mask her faux-pas with an awkward chuckle, she called out to Bokuden,”I just wanted to check the water’s... temperature! Good job, it’s really refreshing.”
‘Ahhh, you stupid cow, what’s wrong with you?! Can you please STOP messing up?’ If it hadn’t made her look like she was suffering from paranoia or a split personality, Misoka would have certainly flinched at the aggressive outburst in her mind. ‘And can you, er, I please stop criticizing myself?’
Okay, enough was enough. High time to focus again. Focus. Turn into that fighting beast she pretended to be.
She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, organizing her thoughts. So what if Bokuden was single, it was none of her concern – yes, to the back of her mind at once. Now she was solely allowed to think about her next attack.  
Her hands seemed to know exactly what they were doing when they took out six shurikens in a blur. Upon opening her eyes again, she threw the weapons forcefully at her opponent, hiding each projectile in the shadow of another.
‘Bwahaha, Misoka is back!’ – What was that about avoiding silly thoughts? She shook her head slightly, letting a thin smirk play on her lips.

Training 2756 w.

145/200:

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
Bokuden couldn’t help but smile as Misoka’s face blushed into a bright shade of red, signifying her embarrassment as she listened to Bokuden speak. He wondered for a moment how he should feel about her blush and more importantly her silence immediately after he spoke. Was she responding positively to his teasing and attempts at flirtation? Well, obviously it wasn’t that positive as she was no longer reciprocating and of his playful remarks as she had been earlier. Perhaps she was just so overwhelmed with joy upon hearing his words that she was unable to speak? Yeah right, even he wasn’t enough of a hopeless dreamer to believe something like that. Still… she wasn’t rejecting him. That’s a start, right? Maybe there was still a chance that his stupid insistence on flirting didn’t scare her away from him after all.

There was also the distinct possibility that he had only succeeded in making her uncomfortable and scaring her with his forwardness.  He should have known better, he’s seen the way she reacts to intimacy or romantic gestures. Only a fool would believe that in such a short time he could break down the emotional wall she barricaded herself with.  He’s seen the fear she displays when he tries to get close to her… how she pushes him away in terror… how everything he tries to do to make it better only makes it worse. Only minutes ago he had experienced it first hand after he had temporarily blinded her with his jutsu. What was he thinking?

Then there was of course the possibility that she didn’t take it positively or negatively. She could just be completely disinterested in Bokuden’s attempts at courting her, being more surprised that he was being so bold with a woman he had only just met and not want anything to do with him at all beyond what they had now, which wasn’t all that much to be honest. A couple of meals together, a brief conversation about her past, a single night spent at his home, and a kiss on the cheek were hardly concrete indicators of anything beyond an unusual encounter. There was that guy that Bokuden had tied up in his home, that was a bit… out of the ordinary, but still…

Honestly Bokuden wasn’t sure if he even preferred the last option over the possibility of flat out rejection. It was almost painful to think that she felt nothing about everything that had been said and done over the last two days. He wanted to know that there was some kind of feeling there, even if it wasn’t strong enough to reciprocate the attraction he felt towards her. He just… wanted to know that it wasn’t all in his head. But of course after everything he had seen about how she reacts to displays of intimacy or romance he couldn’t bring himself to ask her about it directly. It seemed like he would have to keep playing this game of back and forth forever; dropping her subtle and… not so subtle hints about what he wanted while trying not to cross any lines, constantly fearful of pushing her further away than she might already be.

The nervousness and the way she stumbled over her own words in her replies to him did not do much as far as instilling confidence that she was interested in him the way he was in her. It did however, put a small smile back on his face. It might as well have been impossible for him to remain upset when she was reacting to him in such a cute manner. She would jump down from the rock formation upon which she was standing and down onto the water below. It was however, not quite what one would call a clean landing. Bokuden could only assume she activated her supernatural walking practice jutsu, but something was… slightly off, as she stumbled on her landing, one foot sinking slightly beneath the surface and causing her to lose her balance for a moment. After recovering her balance following a little bout of flailing wildly Misoka would chuckle nervously before speaking, the embarrassment clear on her face, ”I just wanted to check the water’s... temperature! Good job, it’s really refreshing.”

Bokuden smiled at the endearing display and wanted to say something to comfort or reassure her, but decided that it might be best for him to not say anything unrelated to their spar the rest of the way. Besides, he now had other things to worry about as Misoka seemed to snap herself out of the spell of hesitation she had seemed to be in previously. Finally taking the initiative she drew a shuriken from an item pouch at her side and threw it up at Bokuden’s location. He smiled as he weaved another quick sequence of hand signs, deciding to give Misoka what she wanted and offer her a real chance to test her skills. Obviously he would still be telling her how to avoid his attacks in order to prevent her from getting hurt, but he would at least be able to allow her to test herself a bit.

As the shuriken closed in on him Bokuden would complete his jutsu and cause a large suiton dragon to erupt skyward from the water below, knocking aside the shuriken and standing high above the field. “Get ready to move,” he would call out to Misoka as the large serpentine form hung overhead, swaying as he held it in place. He would then send it forward at a much slower velocity than normal in order to make it easier to track and avoid as it hurdled towards her.

Training Water Dragon Bullet: 1500/1500
Training: 917

Chakra 229/350:

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
Before any of the shuriken could hit Bokuden, he summoned a water dragon, which tossed them aside as though they were nothing but blunt toy weapons. All six of her projectiles would drop into the lake, creating a simultaneous splash. Nice. She would certainly not dive to get them out.  
“Oh, come on, he was supposed to dodge the shuriken,” Misoka muttered under her breath although she was quick to focus on the more urgent jutsu right now: The serpentine was winding its way towards her, its body dripping water. She prepared herself for leaping away closely before the impact, which would naturally follow. Wait. Wait. Now.
She sprang aside while the dragon’s head was crashing into the moisture and found herself high enough in the air to turn a somersault in order to widen the distance between she and the jutsu. This time, she had a much more graceful landing on the water surface due to the constant amount of chakra in her feet and allowedly, she didn’t want to risk another unnecessary accident. By maintaining her deep concentration, Misoka was almost surprised to see how well she was able to dodge the following assaults. When the dragon shot out of the water beneath her, she would swiftly roll backwards, spreading chakra around her body to avoid sinking in, and when her mystical opponent attacked her straight on, she would at some point become even bold enough to jump on and off its head.

However, her joy about mastering this exercise so well was soon dulled as she realized Bokuden was only going easy on her. It didn't take eagle eyes to see that the dragon was likely moving at a much slower rate than it would for usual.
‘He probably believes I’m a Genin,’ Misoka presumed flustered, shifting her thoughts to possible strategies she could hold against him and which would prove successful in the end. Her eyes travelled up to Bokuden who was standing atop the rocks.
He was still controlling the dragon’s movements and by the way, her own, too by forcing her to dodge constantly as though he was a puppeteer pulling the strings.
At that moment, an idea came to her mind. If she could somehow draw off his attention or... if she could stun him...
Her gaze was fixed on the water dragon again, which seemed to be slowly picking up pace.
She stayed alert, still ready to evade its enormous body, but she couldn’t go on like that for the rest of their spar. Sooner or later she would lose her wind without having achieved anything.
No. This was her chance and she didn’t want to let it pass by. It was time to pull out all the stops. She had been staying on the defensive for far too long, almost every jutsu she’d tried missing its target. But there was one technique he wouldn’t expect – no, better: he didn’t even know about. Her kekkei genkai. She would just have to catch him off-guard... she had to succeed. Otherwise, he would certainly become reluctant to look her in the eyes throughout their match – and then she was pretty much screwed anyway.
A fierce expression spread across her face as she reminded herself once again of that one chance. She couldn’t afford to blow it. And first, she had to get near him.

So Misoka started rushing along the water surface with the annoying dragon on her heels until her path was blocked by the rocks in front of her. Since she wasn’t keen on getting all her limbs broken by the serpentine, she immediately flickered away, fleeing from the threat. The next instant, she appeared on the rock formation behind Bokuden. Alright. No messing up now. She casually ran a hand through her wet hair and let out a soft sigh.
“Phew, I’m safe,” she then murmured, forcing as much relief as possible into her tone. ‘I can’t believe I’m about to do this. This is so embarrassing.'
Without hesitation, however, she continued with her plan, pretending to be panting for air. Come to think of it, this wasn't even that hard to pretend. "I'm sorry, I'm a bit short of breath. You've been chasing me around for quite a while."
Before he had the chance to say something, she stepped forward and then faked a stumble, using it as an excuse to grab his arm. She couldn't suppress a slight shudder at the physical contact while at the same time her heart rate picked up, but perhaps it would be more suspicious if she was clinging to him non-chalantly. And then... actually, it wasn't so frightening being this close.
In any case, she only sincerely hoped she could keep him in place like that although she did feel a little bad about taking advantage of his chivalry. But all she needed was a single glance her way. This couldn’t be so hard really. Judging from his previous actions, he liked initiating eye contact anyway, didn’t he? She just needed to watch out for the right moment.
“Um, excuse my clumsiness, please~” Misoka purred innocently while she couldn't help but keep repeating in her mind,'I'm not clumsy!'
And as a matter of common knowledge, a nice finish completes the picture. So she decided to add in a seemingly proud voice as if searching for reassurement,“But I wasn't that bad, was I? And thank God I had my body flicker.”
If he hadn't looked at her before, she was sure he would do so by then. There was no reason for why he would avoid her gaze all of a sudden.
However, the second he would lay his eyes on her, she would activate her kekkei genkai, the color of her eyes transforming into a sparkling cyan, looking almost identical to her natural shade of turquoise. With the grave difference that her doujutsu could affect the opponent’s nervous system and therefore stun him for a short amount of time.
While beginning to focus chakra into her fist, she would let go of his arm and remark, her voice partly infused with guilt and playfulness,“Sorry about that. Have a nice swim.”
Then she would shoot him one last bittersweet smile before hitting him in the chest with enough force to send him stumbling backwards off the rocks.

Training 3840 w.

120/200:

Last edited by Misoka on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
Thankfully, Misoka was able to keep up with the reduced velocity of Bokuden’s Water Dragon Bullet, putting his nerves at ease a bit as he controlled the jutsu’s movements from his elevated position. To be honest even with his own exceptional control of the suiton element, he was a bit apprehensive about using a jutsu of this rank and aiming it at her. Sure it wasn’t the most powerful jutsu in his arsenal and sure he was consciously limiting it and controlling its movements himself, but a part of him couldn’t help but feel a bit nervous at the prospect of what were to happen should something go wrong. Even while he was slowing it down the Water Dragon Bullet jutsu was a purely offensive technique, and the sheer volume and weight behind the enormous water forms remained enough to potentially be lethal, definitely enough to cause significant damage to a human body.

His eyes locked onto Misoka’s movements as the dragon hurdled towards her, her knees bending ever so slightly as she braced herself for the oncoming assault. As the dragon made its first pass at Misoka she leapt out of the way, narrowly dodging the large stream of water at the last moment. She flew through the air as the jutsu plunged itself violently into the water below, causing the water to splash and rise up in a small wave shooting out in all directions from the epicenter. Misoka gracefully glided through the air in a somersault, putting distance between herself and the point of impact and sticking her landing atop the water’s surface in the wake of the wave. Impressed with how nimble her movements were, a smirk would form onto Bokuden’s lips as he prepared his next maneuver. With his jutsu now completely submerged in the pool beneath them he would continue to manipulate it, making it snake around to Misoka’s position and commanding it to erupt forth from below. From the intense look of concentration on her face Bokuden could tell that she had focused her attention solely on the imminent threat of the dragon which was now swimming beneath her feet.

It would have been entirely possible for Bokuden to take advantage of her intense focus and launch a surprise attack while her attention was divided, easy in fact. If he had done just that he would likely have been able to end the spar right there and win his kiss after all… but that wouldn’t be any fun now, would it? So he continued his little game of cat and mouse with Misoka as he commanded his Water Dragon bullet to explode forth from below. Following the disturbances in the water Misoka was able to anticipate the timing of the attack and roll out of the way. It continued on like this for a short while, Misoka continuing to dodge his jutsu, becoming more and more emboldened with each passing moment, even going so far as to leap off the dragon’s head itself.

Bokuden raised an eyebrow at Misoka as the expression on her face changed dramatically almost in an instant, her features taking on a more fierce appearance as she turned her turquoise gaze in his direction. Suddenly she would begin dashing in his direction, the dragon chomping at her heels as it followed her across the surface of the water, parting the water in two with its force as it passed. It was an odd choice in strategy to say the least. She had been doing fine in dodging the technique up until this point. For her to willingly put herself in a position that makes her more vulnerable to the beast that followed her every move seemed misguided, especially considering that she was running out of real estate. The rock formation that Bokuden stood directly in front of Misoka, blocking her path and forcing her to corner herself by getting pinned in between Bokuden and his jutsu. “No, that’s not what this is,” Bokuden mused to himself as a soft chuckle escaped his lips, “She intends to lead the jutsu in my direction and then make an escape of some sort, forcing me to hit myself with my own jutsu. Not a bad idea. Cliché and predictable perhaps, but not bad," As she drew closer she would use a jutsu of some kind to disappear from sight, not that Bokuden couldn’t use his Current Perception to track her movements at any time. Not one to allow for his own jutsu to be used against him Bokuden would immediately end his Water Dragon Bullet, stopping the flow of chakra through the water and causing it to fall from the air and splash violently down back into the pool of water from whence it came.

“Phew, I’m safe,” Misoka said as she let out a sigh from behind Bokuden, her position being given away long before she spoke although he chose not to react to hit, "I'm sorry, I'm a bit short of breath. You've been chasing me around for quite a while." Misoka’s words and the panting he heard made him turn to face her in concern. He had planned to voice his concern for her, but was brought to an abrupt halt as Misoka stumbled in her stride and fell forward. Instinctually Bokuden would step forward to catch her, placing his right hand on her waist to catch her as she grabbed onto his left to stop herself just short of falling into his chest. He felt her shudder ever so slightly as her body fell into his, his face showing a faint trace of pink as his body temperature rose at Misoka’s touch. “Um, excuse my clumsiness, please,” she continued softly, her voice seemingly strengthening as she regained her balance, “But I wasn't that bad, was I? And thank God I had my body flicker.”

“No, you weren’t that bad,” Bokuden said softly and with a warm smile as he raised his left hand and gently placed it against Misoka’s neck, cradling the right side of her face below her cheek ever so slightly before continuing, “You’re amazing. I’m sorry, Misoka. I shouldn’t have pushed you so hard with that last jutsu, I hope you’re okay. Please, you should rest for a bit. I don’t want you to push yourself too hard and get hur-“ Suddenly his body would become frozen mid-sentence as he looked into Misoka’s eyes. Their color had changed from the alluring turquoise to which he had become accustomed to a glimmering cyan, which he could only assume was a doujutsu of some sort. His mind became hazy the longer his gaze remained locked with hers.

Through the foggy daze in which he found himself now he could feel Misoka’s body pull away from his, almost as if she was floating away. He wanted to reach out to grab her hand, to hold onto something familiar as he seemingly lost control of everything else, but no matter how mightily he struggled he could not so much as curl a finger. “Sorry about that,” he heard Misoka’s voice call out to him, cutting through the haze which was clouding his mind, “Have a nice swim.” Immediately following those words he felt what he could only imagine being a punch collide with his chest, unable to see anything but the cyan orbs which enchanted him. After that he felt nothing but the distinct feeling of falling through the air, as if experiencing a hypnic jerk, and the cold sensation of the water below as he plunged downward ,unable to move.

Training Water Encampment Wall: 1500/1500
Training: 709

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
“I... I did it,” she breathed, watching Bokuden splash into the water. So... it had worked out in the end. This sounded almost too good to be true.
Unable to hold back the joy cursing through her, she broke out into a wide smile.
“I should rest?” A loud chuckle. “Not happening! I can still keep going!”
Was she honestly speaking to herself right now? And on top of that, bragging about the success of her dubious strategy? Acting like the damsel in distress in order to make him drop his guard didn’t exactly scream fairness. Within seconds, the initial delight she had felt was swallowed up by her bad conscience, which would return even more forcefully than before. “Eh, whatever.”
A small sigh slipped from her lips as her eyes started tracing the water surface, waiting for Bokuden to rise up.
Despite her sense of guilt slowly eating away at her, Misoka tried to focus on her next attack and what kind of jutsu or weapon she was going to use. As useful as her kekkei genkai proved to be in combat, she knew that she could safely rely on it only once during a fight. Every other time, the opponent would avoid her gaze and refuse to fall for it again. However, she should never forget her doujutsu’s beneficial after-effects. As a matter of fact, Bokuden’s mind would still feel a tad hazy, affecting his reaction time.
Not necessarily convinced of her deduction, though, Misoka grimaced and caught herself fidgeting with her gloves. The stun wouldn’t last all too long. And then... she could already imagine him breaking the surface and coming at her with an infuriated look on his face – alright, maybe not so angry, but certainly a tiny bit annoyed at her previous actions. To her utter surprise, he did none of that.

The water remained mostly tranquil with the exception of few bubbles forming on its top... wait, bubbles? Her heart threatened to stop for a split second while she was already picturing the worst case scenario in her mind.
She had stunned him shortly before he had fallen into his self-created pool, thus he wasn’t able to move or think properly. What if he hadn’t held his breath? What if he had sucked in an abundance of water, which was at that very moment filling his lungs and pulling him down, deeper and deeper until everything would turn dark around him? Furthermore, he was fully clothed and he had his katana with him... additional weight on him.  
Misoka shuddered, the anxious feeling inside her growing by second and deeming all thoughts about her next jutsu unimportant. What to do... what to do? She began to chew on her lips, walk back and forth on the rock she was standing on and hated herself for every moment she wasted like that.
The restaurant scene crossed her mind, back on day one when she had voiced her concern for Bokuden’s welfare, which, by the way, had been met with nothing but an annoyed snarl of his animal companion.
Was she overreacting yet again?
Just like his pet, Bokuden would surely feel offended by Misoka’s train of thoughts and see it as a lack of confidence in his superior skills. As though someone so experienced as he was needed her help. Right. It would be best if she calmed down and continued waiting, no, preparing an attack of course.

In contrary to the silent decision she had arrived at not even an instant ago, Misoka suddenly kicked off her boots, with her gloves following right after.
Then she shut out any second thoughts that were certain to come sooner or later, and took a dive into the water.
Cold. That was the first thing going through her mind as she became engulfed in the moisture. She held her breath, every muscle in her body tensed, and searched for Bokuden. It wasn’t hard to find him since they had both jumped or in his case, fallen off the same rock formation.
He had his back on her so she couldn’t catch a glimpse of his face. Was he fine under water? Was he not?
Misoka moved over to him as fast as she could and patted his shoulder anxiously. ‘Come on, snap out of it.’

Since he didn’t react – but she wasn’t sure if she had given him even enough time to do so - , she  started pulling at his arm, trying to drag him upwards.
...Which was ... kind of impossible for someone like her. Alright. Plan B.
She dove around Bokuden so she could see his face and motioned with her index finger up to the surface.
“You. Need. To. Get. Out. And. Breathe.” – Well, that’s what she would have loved to say aloud, but as she had no intentions to suck in water herself, this turned out into a pantomime game, in which she tried her hardest to convey the meaning of her words. She didn’t really want to know how crazy or crazily funny this must look like.
Bokuden’s gaze still seemed a little far-away in her opinion so she decided to make her message clearer.
At once, Misoka lashed out with her right hand and slapped his cheek. To play it safe, she smacked his other cheek as well. Good. This should suffice.
Or maybe not? Hesitantly, she raised her hand again, ready to hit him one more time – for his sake of course. She could apologize later.

Training Fire Style Flame Bombs 1500/1500
Training Earthquake Slam 1000/1000
2271 w.

Bokuden

Bokuden

D-rank
A frigid sensation surged through his body as Bokuden plunged into the water below, still stunned from the effects of whatever jutsu Misoka had used on him previously. Although he could slowly feel his control over his body returning to him his mind was still dazed and unreceptive of the situation he found himself in, recognizing sensations, but yet to resume processing them into actions. And so he sank deeper and deeper into the pool of his own creation, his body recognizing the biting chill of the water which was consuming him and the darkness he was plunging into as his head remained pointed towards the depths of the water, but his mind still under Misoka’s spell. When one loses control over their ability to analyze and process information, even for a moment, it is possible for even their perception of time to be distorted. Those few seconds of frigid cold and darkness seemed to drag on forever as water began rushing into his lungs. It would be at that point that his survival instinct began to kick in and began accelerating the restoration of his control, a short twitch of his fingers the initial indicator of his recovery from paralysis.

Knowing that with water beginning to enter his lungs he had limited time to recompose himself and react Bokuden began to devise a plan to get himself out of the water in the event that he could no regain control of his entire body in time. Before he had time to do anything however, he heard something plunge into the water from above and felt the disturbance of the displaced water pulse through the pool. “What could that be?” he thought to himself hazily, his thoughts still somewhat clouded from the after effects of the stun. Only a few moments later he would feel what resembled a hand patting his shoulder. But that wouldn’t be possible would it? The only other person around was Misoka. It couldn’t have been her jumping into the water after him. “No,” he thought to himself as he regained his ability to process information enough to once again rely on his kekkei gekai to gather information, “It is her, there’s no mistaking that electrical signature. What is she doing down in the water? Planning a follow up attack?”

Before enough time had elapsed for Bokuden recover the body control necessary to communicate back with her appropriately he felt a hard tug on his arm as if she was trying to grab him and pull him along with her. Whatever it was she had planned however, would not come to fruition as Bokuden’s mass and the lack of stable footing while submerged in the water made Misoka seem unable to move him by herself. After a brief moment of struggle the pulling on his arm would stop, leading him to believe she had just given up on whatever she had planned and would just exit the water herself and wait for him to make his own way up. To his surprise however, instead of swimming back to the surface herself she came into his sights as she swum around out in front of him and began pointing her index finger skyward. “Oh,” he thought to himself as Misoka’s figure came into view, “She was trying to pull me out of the water to rescue me. This all makes a bit more sense now, but still… why would she compromise her own safety to come and get me? I mean, I’m sure she can swim, but even still.” His train of thought would soon be cut off by a harsh sting against his left cheek that felt like a… slap? Did he just get slapped while he was drowning? That answer would be confirmed as a second slap came flying into his right cheek, the shock springing him into action, immediately weaving a sequence of hand signs together.

Before the third slap could land Bokuden would catch her hand in his and hold his while he reached out with his free hand and hugged her into his body.  Leaning his head over her shoulder he would fire a powerful jet stream of water straight downwards into the ground. The force of the stream met with the resistance of the ground would act as a water cannon and send them flying out of the water. By reposition his neck while shooting out the jet stream was able to crudely manipulate the direction in which they flew, allowing him to send them in the direction of the rock formation they were standing on before. He would turn their bodies mid-air to allow himself to be on the bottom to break their fall as they crashed back down onto the ground, Misoka laying atop him. Bokuden grunted from the initial pain of the fall and winced his eyes as he struggled to force out the words, “Are you okay? Why would you jump in after me? I can take care of myself. If something happened to you…” He would be thrown into a coughing fit as he turned his head away and expelled the water that had entered his lungs during his plunge. Bokuden would brush the soaked strands of hair from Misoka’s face with his left hand and continue, “Don’t scare me like that again.” His lips would curl into a weak smile as an even weaker chuckle escaped them, “I guess this means I won’t get that kiss now, huh?”

Suidanha Training Complete: 1500/1500
Training: 133

Chakra: 209/350:

Misoka

Misoka

D-rank
It worked! He was reacting to her. With relief, Misoka watched as Bokuden formed hand seals, a distinct sign that he had regained control over the situation. She tried a small smile, but by then her lungs were burning and begging for air, making it rather uncomfortable to stay any longer underwater. In all honesty, she was merely an average diver, able to hold her breath for up to two minutes at best. She strongly assumed that shinobis with suiton affinity naturally had an advantage concerning their swimming and diving skills. This, and Bokuden had so far only proven to her that he offered excellent quality in all areas. Now that his mind was functioning properly again, she knew he would be alright.
However, the moment Misoka gave in to her body’s plea for air and wanted to swim upwards, a pair of arms would suddenly snake around her and pull her into an embrace.
Before she could even think about what Bokuden was up to, a gargling sound filled her ears, then both of them were catapulted out of the water. Misoka squinted her eyes shut in surprise, only inhaling the air deeply when they broke the surface. She felt her stomach plummet and held onto Bokuden’s coat tightly until they reached even ground again.
A painful wince coming from below her urged Misoka to snap her eyes open. Bokuden’s jutsu had apparently brought them back to the rock formation they had been standing on before... just that... she had fallen on top of him.
“Ah, sorry! I’m sorry,” she blurted out guiltily and crawled off his body to kneel beside him. A new wave of concern welled up within her as he seemingly struggled to say something. It felt terrible to see him in such an unusual, almost vulnerable state, let alone knowing her actions had caused it.
“Are you okay? Why would you jump in after me? I can take care of myself. If something happened to you…”
She was about to answer him when he finally coughed out the water that had burdened his lungs all along.
“Careful,” Misoka muttered, patting his chest gently. Her eyes were still clouded with worry, an emotion which would distract her so much that she didn’t even shiver under Bokuden’s touch. Somewhere underwater she must have lost her elastic band much to her regret so now her hair was spilling over her shoulders in a wet mess.
“Don’t scare me like that again,” she then heard Bokuden say and couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow in a confused manner. Why would he be worried about her? He was the one who had just spit out water.
The faint smile he flashed her afterwards as well as his attempt to lighten the mood didn’t entirely make her feel better about the situation even though she was tempted to return the gesture.
Instead, she looked down at her knees and tried to find the right words,”Bokuden... I shouldn’t have used my kekkei genkai on you and pushed you into the water right away. I’m sorry. This could have been dangerous.” Misoka bit her lip, backtracking quickly. “I mean, not dangerous for you of course, but I just... I was worried. This, um, has nothing to do with me questioning your strength. I only wanted to make sure you’ll be alright. Are you... alright?”
Talking about it almost threatened to stir up the well-known feeling of shame within her. Technically speaking, she had just wasted any further advantages her doujutsu could have offered by trying to help her opponent to get out of the water. How ironic. These must be the second thoughts she had chosen to dismiss shortly before her pseudo-heroic moment.
Brushing it off quickly, Misoka met Bokuden’s eyes again and gave him a rueful smile. “And now we’re both soaked. We should’ve brought some spare clothing.”

Only when she felt every apology he deserved was said, she would finally lighten up and address his previous words.
“You’re still going on about that kiss? You must be the persistent type.” She laughed. “But yes, that’s what it means. And more importantly, you have to tell me about your ninja rank and... how you became so strong. You know, some... training secrets for example.” To be honest, she couldn’t remember they had agreed on the last part, but well, didn’t this question go naturally along with the other one?
“I can’t wait to hear your stories,” she added teasingly and proceeded to stand up, her smile diminishing slightly when she noticed her clothes and hair were dripping water.
A pale hue of pink traced her cheeks while she was muttering almost to herself,”Oh, I don’t think it’s a good idea to keep fighting like this.”
Worse, her soaked shirt was clinging to her frame, making her feel more exposed than ever. Not good. ‘Come on, it’s barely noticeable,’ she tried to calm herself down and would casually tug at her shirt a few times in hopes it would speed up the drying process.
“So? How about we stop at that point and you keep your end of the bargain up?” Misoka went on quickly, her eyes locked on Bokuden again, reflecting most of all curiousity. She nodded to the pool below them, which had turned into its peaceful self again. If they sat on the water surface while talking, they would practise a bit of chakra control as well. At least better than nothing. And their clothes could dry.
Misoka let out a soft chuckle upon noticing Bokuden was still lying on the ground and reached out for him in jest. “Need a hand, sparring partner?”  
Truthfully, she wasn’t sure whether she could pull him up, certainly not without making a little effort. He was taller and more muscled than she was after all. Besides, now that the heat of the moment was slowly ebbing away, she would feel a little bit nervous about taking his hand. Eh, it had just been one of her ... petty jokes anyway.

Training 3305 w.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.