You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Protection Duty (Izumi) Empty Protection Duty (Izumi) Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:18 pm

Akaneya

Akaneya

C-rank
mission:

Akaneya almost felt insulted by the need for this mission to have an accompanying superior. It was a simple mission, one of the simplest possible - a sort she had some experience with in the past, even. The kid was rich, but that hardly changed anything. No matter, the mission had been assigned, and she would fulfill it dutifully, as she should. If it was so simple and easy, it didn't matter that her assigned companion was nowhere to be seen; Akaneya could very well handle walking a child to school. So it was, then, that Little Miss Hai set off to a decent education, frolicking in the streets without a care in the world, as her silent bodyguard gloomily trailed along.

Akaneya pulled a bell from her bag, examining it as she walked, wondering when the right time to use her clan's special technique might be. Now, probably not the time. The streets were full and they were in public view, any pinging would return far too many disturbances to provide anything useful. Furthermore, an attempt on the child would never be conducted in such an open, public, well-lit, and absolutely full place. All she had to do was keep the kid on track, this was the easy half of the mission. Looking to the skipping little girl, there was a sort of innocence, a disturbing lack of awareness, that flowed forth plentifully from her. Everything about her behavior, her movements, it all screamed that she knew not of the danger she might be in, nor did she care. She had been coddled and raised with firmness and security, and with that, a paradox arose: would anyone even dare make the attempt given her family's long history of security, or was she absolutely wrong to assume the infallibility of her guard? Akaneya had been trained long, but being delicate and gentle as the mission seemed to require was far beyond her skillset.

All ideas of ease aside, the walk to school was actually an exceptionally uncomfortable experience. Akaneya did all she could to avoid coming into physical contact with any of the numerous people crowding the streets going both ways, but the mass itself was deafening. In short order, she grabbed Little Miss Hai and picked up the pace, if only to get away to somewhere more quiet and lonely. It took no time at all to reach the school, the area around which was mostly empty. Breathing a hefty sigh, she released the girl and went to stand off to the side. Little Miss Hai went to school, and Akaneya would find herself meditating - or perhaps dozing off - as time went on.

It was then that a figure approached from nearby. Opening her eyes and putting her hand to her thigh, ready to reach for a weapon, she calmed when she saw who it was.

"Zhi of the Mist."

post stats:

2Protection Duty (Izumi) Empty Re: Protection Duty (Izumi) Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:39 pm

Izumi

Izumi

A-rank
Izumi under the guise of Zhi had once again been called upon by powers that be to do some pointless guard duty for some heiress in Konoha. Izumi had never been on one of these missions and had something actually happen, she was usually nothing more than a highly paid babysitter. Izumi was paired with Akaneya again, the young woman with whom Izumi had proctored multiple matches for the exams. Afterwards, the pair shared incredibly awkward conversation at a tea shop in the Shinwato District. Izumi figured Akaneya would easily be able to cover the first half of the mission and could join after the child was dropped off for classes, if she was confident enough it would seem she was always watching. Izumi smoked a couple of her cigarettes before leaving dressed in one of the uniform's from Little Miss Hai's school Izumi could pose as a teaching assistant while she followed the girl from class to class inconspicuously. The blade on her wrist was easily concealed by the scarf she wrapped around her left wrist and the sunglasses she wore wouldn't seem out of place. Izumi smoked one last homemade cigarette before setting off to meet her genin counterpart. Even if it was just another babysitting mission Izumi still used her sensory technique, she'd have felt almost naked without it. The Karisuma woman used it so often that the extra senses were like a part of her, she could easily fight using the extrasensory power, it would also let her know if they were being followed.

Izumi took her time on the way, the last time they'd met had been so painfully awkward. Izumi also was pretty convinced there was absolutely no way anything would actually happen to this girl in broad daylight in a hidden village. Izumi took a leisurely pace and picked up a snack on the way ensuring to dispose of its remains before arriving so her partner wouldn't guess on the cause of her tardiness. Izumi climbed through the window of the school and found Little Miss Hai in her classroom. Izumi stayed in the classroom assuming the duties of a teacher's assistant until recess where she walked out the front gate and walked to where Akaneya had been sitting, it initially caught her off guard when she was addressed as Zhi but she quickly remembered what she was really doing in the village and returned to the present. “I've been following the girl all day and I can tell you there's almost no chance this little girl is in danger. In fact the only sizable chakra pools in the surrounding area are yours and mine. Should be another day have complete boredom for the pair of us. You should tell me more about the Land of Rice, I've never been there most of my travels were to the Land of Rain and the Water Country. How have you been by the way?” Even if Izumi knew all she could expect from Akaneya would be strange monotone responses, it would be even more awkward to not make the regular conversation she'd make with someone. Izumi supposed a robotic companion who wouldn't pry into Izumi was better for her current situation so she wouldn't have to make up too many answers and have her partner get suspicious. Izumi would smile while in wait for a response, hoping her confidence was enough to throw Akaneya off the trail of her lateness.

588 words.

3Protection Duty (Izumi) Empty Re: Protection Duty (Izumi) Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:09 pm

Akaneya

Akaneya

C-rank
"I have been well enough, I suppose."

What a simple response to the question. So simple, in fact, because it was indeed that simple. It was not as difficult as recounting the Land of Rice, which came with it a mixed bag of memories, emotions, and troubles. How does one even explain a land, and all that goes on there? Akaneya supposed it was her duty, in some minuscule amount, some off-handed way, to actually try to give an honest and genuine response. She paused for but a moment to collect her thoughts, and try to tell as much as she could about that distant land so close to home.

"The Land of Rice is...wet. Very wet. It is characterized by its steep mountains, which catch the southern rain and stop it from reaching the lands of Iron and Lightning. Because of this, the bases of the mountains are filled with marshes and swaps: ideal land for the mass production of rice. The Daimyo is a wise man; he realizes that the great amount of food controlled allows..." she pauses, looking at her relatively small hands, "allows it to gain advantage, to fight well above its weight. Everybody needs food, being denied it will defeat any offenders or resistance before they can even fight back."

Raising her eyes to meet her companion's gaze, she continued: "It is, as one might expect, a very humid place. The summers are some of the strongest in the known world, but the winters will penetrate the thickest coats. No layering, no insulation, can defeat the humid chill native to the land. Mitigate, perhaps, but never truly defeat."

"The Land of Rice doesn't just pull above its weight on a national level. It is a land of survivors. The people of the land know that one must be above themselves to succeed. One must conquer their very beliefs if they are to get anywhere - be it a twisted sense of honor, or a fear of death. One must be willing to do that which others are not willing to do in order to survive."

Feeling that she was sufficiently cryptic and ominous, or perhaps at least having given a fairly accurate report of her experiences in the Land of Rice, she stopped here, and returned her blank gaze to where their mutual project was expected to come out. It wouldn't be for some time, theoretically speaking, but Akaneya simply had nothing more to say about the question initially posed. Simple as that.

post stats:

4Protection Duty (Izumi) Empty Re: Protection Duty (Izumi) Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:33 am

Izumi

Izumi

A-rank
A simple boring answer was all she received to a question that was clearly about more than just her current state of being. Oh well, she'd at least tried she couldn't be accused of being the one who didn't make this work now. Izumi was worried it would be another dreadfully boring day until the young woman replied to her question about the Land of Rice, “The Land of Rice is...wet. Very wet. It is characterized by its steep mountains, which catch the southern rain and stop it from reaching the lands of Iron and Lightning. Because of this, the bases of the mountains are filled with marshes and swaps: ideal land for the mass production of rice. The Daimyo is a wise man; he realizes that the great amount of food controlled allows it to gain advantage, to fight well above its weight. Everybody needs food, being denied it will defeat any offenders or resistance before they can even fight back. It is, as one might expect, a very humid place. The summers are some of the strongest in the known world, but the winters will penetrate the thickest coats. No layering, no insulation, can defeat the humid chill native to the land. Mitigate, perhaps, but never truly defeat. The Land of Rice doesn't just pull above its weight on a national level. It is a land of survivors. The people of the land know that one must be above themselves to succeed. One must conquer their very beliefs if they are to get anywhere - be it a twisted sense of honor, or a fear of death. One must be willing to do that which others are not willing to do in order to survive.” It honestly sounded dreadful, Izumi would hate to live there, it sounded a bit like the Mist Village but even colder and wetter. It was almost the complete opposite of what Izumi would consider a good place to live.

“That sounds amazing, I can't see why you'd want to leave. It's almost the complete opposite of mine home. The Land of Wind is very dry, and very warm. It rarely rains and many people there turned to banditry for their way of life. I grew up in a slum, hidden away by mother because when I was born my clan was doing terrible things with their children. I never really met my father, in fact he tried to kill me when I was an infant or at least that's what my mom told me. She died when the village was destroyed, but honestly to me she'd been dead for years. It was like talking to ghost of a person who only had fragments of who you knew. I'll miss her but sometimes I think there was a lot she didn't tell me. After she died, I found out she had a ton of money that she like never used and left all to me. She couldn't use it or 'they'd find her' at least that's what she wrote in the letter that the guy delivered me to give me control of her fortune. I guess it's like her portion of profits from our family's … business. Now, even though I have all the money I could need I still can't live the life I want. Life's funny like that. Enough about me though,what was life like for you?”

Izumi could see the words leave her mouth in slow motion and felt like she'd opened a can of worms she didn't really want to deal with. Izumi wished she hadn't asked but still prepared for the depressing story of a rice farmer who had to fight for every meal or whatever the hell was her issue. But, she'd ask the question and unfortunately just killing her conversation partner wouldn't solve anything so she'd have to bare through it and once again lie through her teeth with some nice response about how dreadful it must have been to survive a shitty life. Having good manners was so tiring, Izumi preferred it when she was at war, there was much less useless than getting to know people she'd rarely if ever see again. Everything would be different if she carried out her job perfectly. Izumi only felt partially guilty that part of the identity that she was selling Akaneya was a lie. The more people who heard of Zhi being in the village the better, it would make her goals much easier if people saw a mist woman with her description around the village.

783 words for a total word count of 1,371.

5Protection Duty (Izumi) Empty Re: Protection Duty (Izumi) Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:59 am

Akaneya

Akaneya

C-rank
"Do you really want to know, or are you just bored?" Akaneya asked, somewhat aggressively. It seemed that, while her companion liked to dance around with words and show all sorts of courtesy, Akaneya understood the inefficiency and wastefulness of being indirect and flowery. With a great sigh, she began:

"Fine. It begins with my birth. It was some...shithole village. My father trained me day-and-night to master our clan's technique, and to defend myself. When I was ten, bandits who were extorting our village crippled my father. A week later, he sold me off to the Otokage to give us both better lives. That was the last time I saw him. Never even seen the village since."

"My training began in Otogakure. He raised me, gave me strength. He tested my limits, he broke me and rebuilt me." At this, she lifted her tangled mass of hair with one hand, and pulled down the back of her shirt with the other, gesturing with her eyes to take a look. In but a moment or two, she let go of both, and continued her story. "I displeased him. Maybe I didn't. He put me in fights against others in the village. I won, consistently. He sent me out on minor missions between the fights. These two things, all he asked of me, I did. He kept me fed, clothed, and sheltered for my service. On my first major mission, intended to go to the very edges of the Land of Rice, I walked near the border of the Land of Fire along the way. I don't know why I did it, okay?"

She punctuated that last line with a more aggressive tone, once again breaking her otherwise monotone speech. "For all his training and conditioning, for everything he did to me, I just...walked. I don't know why I did it. I can't remember how long I walked, just that I never stopped, not even to sleep. Even though I don't know why I did it, I remember that it was the hardest thing I've done in my life. I fought myself just to take those steps."

"So, what's it to you? Why do you care? Does this give you some sort of...some sort of revelation? It happened, everyone has moved on. Nothing left to say."

Post stats:

6Protection Duty (Izumi) Empty Re: Protection Duty (Izumi) Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Izumi

Izumi

A-rank
For what it was worth Izumi finally got the strange young woman to show emotion. Even if her emotion was seething rage, at least it was something. Izumi didn't mean to get under her skin but she still did. It was probably her sunny disposition. IN all honesty the manners and positive attitude were to help ensure she didn't upset people, sometimes much to her chagrin it backfired. The truth was, Akaneya hit the nail on the head with her accusation. Izumi's short tempered nature nearly shone through and had her reply that in all honesty she really didn't care and was just being polite. Izumi honestly didn't care about the problems of a genin, in their line of work chances were the only reason they'd meet in the future was in battle. Izumi took a deep breath to keep her mood in control and stayed silent while the young woman angrily explained her childhood. Izumi knew she shouldn't have asked it was all so very depressing. The start was right on target for what Izumi expected, after all every refugee had a terrible backstory: born poor, something terrible happens, vow revenge or whatever, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. However, Izumi did find a bit of interest in the way she referred to her teacher. Akaneya refused to use his name and didn't even seem to harbor hatred for a man that in all honesty seemed beyond despicable.

The way she kept reminding Izumi that she didn't know why she did it, it almost seemed like she was forced to do it by some supernatural means. Perhaps there was more to the mystery that was Akaneya of the Sound than it initially had seemed. "So, what's it to you? Why do you care? Does this give you some sort of...some sort of revelation? It happened, everyone has moved on. Nothing left to say." Izumi swallowed the welling rage once again. If this brat had any idea who she was talking to she would watch herself, the urge to teach the genin a physical lesson in respect was strong but she instead decided the best way to hurt her was honesty. For the first time Izumi dropped the act and looked at Akaneya with a look of apathy rather than the warm smile she normally tried to wear, “I really didn't care at first you were right. I was just being polite because that's what's expected of the bigger person but frankly, why should I care I'll never see you again after I leave the Leaf and even if I do it would most likely be with you at the end of my knife. But now, you have me interested frankly I think there's more to your story than even you know. There's too much missing in your story and I'm honestly surprised the Leaf ANBU didn't ask more questions. If you were in my village I'd be interrogating you as a spy but this is the Leaf and for all I care it can burn to the ground. Now, look alive our charge is getting out of school and we have to walk the spoiled brat home.”

Izumi rose not waiting for a reply and waited for the little girl to come out and approach their bench. Izumi would leave straight away not even looking to see if they had decided to follow since she'd be able to sense if they didn't. Izumi noticed as they left that a new chakra pool had entered her sensory field but didn't make any changes initially, waiting to see if it was something she actually had to care about. Truth be the told even if it was a sizable chakra pool, it couldn't be much larger than Akaneya's and Izumi had a hard time believing a real threat would come in the form of a genin. Izumi continued, ruminating on what she had said to the red haired young woman in her charge; the Karisuma woman had the bad habit of saying things she really shouldn't and this was one of those times. Izumi regretted her rash decision but would stick by it if confronted. They had reached about half way when she finally confirmed the chakra signature was following them, not wanting to show off her abilities in front of Akaneyan Izumi devised that she'd have the genin deal with threat. It shouldn't be beyond her and if it was Izumi could end it in an instant. Izumi fell back to be even with Akaneya and spoke softly, “Someone is following us, on the rooftops to our left. Deal with it, I'll make sure the kid is safe.”

803 words for a total word count of 2,174.

7Protection Duty (Izumi) Empty Re: Protection Duty (Izumi) Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:08 pm

Akaneya

Akaneya

C-rank
An outburst had not exactly been anticipated. Akaneya had revealed some weakness within herself, becoming angered by her partner's constant questioning. She kept prodding, seemingly in a show of politeness if nothing else - and this suspicion would prove entirely accurate when the other's own outburst came pouring out. Akaneya wouldn't dare follow up and point out that, in fact, the Leaf ANBU had interrogated her quite thoroughly, or perhaps that she had purposefully chosen to leave out some details, to spare either sensibility or to cut it short, it did not matter. Little Miss Hai left school and went along her hopping, skipping way, and Zhi of the Mist gave the task her full attention.

Akaneya did not despise Zhi for what she had said. Quite contrarily, she deemed it a perfectly fair response all things considered. Being open about not really caring for the Leaf hit a particular mark - why should she care? Akaneya cared because it was her residence, but news from nearby villages more often than not went in one ear and straight out the other unless she had an explicit reason to care. Each person had their own sphere, their own struggles, and there was no reason to interfere in those of others.

And so, Akaneya kept up. She picked up pace just enough to more-or-less catch up, and followed from behind. Fingering the bells in her bag, she wondered when the most opportune time to active the technique would be. At her relatively low level, her ability to use them was still quite limited, and so she had to pick and choose her fights. All seemed well until Zhi began to fall back, and explained that they were being followed. Seemed as good a time as any to get a lock onto her target.

Taking the small spherical bell, tied by a short string to her kunai, she struck it against the blade. A soft, but consistent, ring began; the ceaseless sound sending out waves in every direction. Stopping for a moment to bring the roof-walker into range of the effect, she knew immediately where to go.

Using the crowd as cover, she ducked into an alleyway. Climbing the wall carefully, softly, she tracked the movement of the target with precision. Once her eyes crested the roof, she turned off her bell - the target was in sight. Gently stepping forward, getting close, she brought out her flute. Taking a deep breath, she played a particularly shrill note - infused with chakra - to disorient the kidnapper.

He held his hands over his ears, beginning to stumble. Turning to look at the source, he saw young Akaneya preparing to throw a punch. Catching her fist with one hand, he reached for a knife with the other. With minimal thought, she pulled out her own and stabbed him in his lower back. Letting go of her hand, she delivered a swift kick to his chest. As he fell, he performed some sort of jutsu to cause a bright flash. A bit dazed, Akaneya tried to regain her sight by blinking several times and rubbing her eyes.

After a few seconds, she saw the blood trail. Following it to the kidnapper running, she gave quick chase. Climbing down to a balcony, and from there leaping onto him, her flying tackle seemed to do the job finely. Punching him across his face, she straddled him and held her kunai high. Her pupils narrowed, as if in trance, she began a downward plunge of the blade.

Stopping just before piercing the man's chest, she looked around at the gathered people watching. Sighing, she pulled her knife away. "Zhi!" she called, doing her best to pin the frightened, but dazed, attacker until her companion might arrive.

Chakra 240/250:

Post stats:

8Protection Duty (Izumi) Empty Re: Protection Duty (Izumi) Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:28 pm

Izumi

Izumi

A-rank
Whether the young woman had some hidden social cues or Izumi's words had struck her speechless was no matter to the blonde woman who continued on as if she had said nothing. It was a relief either way that Akaneya wasn't willing to press the matter. Izumi would pay attention closely to the young woman as she drew a kunai and struck a bell. These were techniques of a sort Izumi had never seen. Perhaps is she paid enough attention she could learn more of their nature. Akaneya was certainly more than up to the task, much to Izumi's pleasure. It seems they trained their genin well in the Hidden Sound Village. It makes sense if her stories were true. Hard lives make hard people and strong warriors. Constant killing and fighting dulled the emotions surrounding the acts making it easier with each victory and learning all you can from every defeat. Izumi had taken a similar course in her life. She began to feel bad, noticing how similar the pair was to each other. Had Izumi herself been much different when she was younger? It seems sometimes as you grow you forget how you were and it can lead to insensitivity. Izumi wished she'd been the bigger person and just ignored her comments with a simple courteous dismissal but her temper went and got the better of her.

Izumi watched the battle from afar, her partner was faring well. She disoriented him and followed up nicely, a common mistake among the inexperienced was to not follow up before you knew if you had landed your attack. Izumi always preferred to  be proactive in a battle, she smiled watching the fight unfold. Having had his blood drawn the kidnapper began to retreat, Izumi tensed her muscles ready to give pursuit seeing that he'd use a distracting flash of some sort but to her pleasure Akaneya kept on the quarry. Akaneya easily caught up to the injured man and was about to kill him when she stopped and called for Izumi. Izumi was there in a flash. She looked at Akaneya whose knife was held loosely above the subdued attacker. “What are you waiting for?” The simple cold question was all Izumi had for the young woman. The man begged for his life and Izumi looked down on him apathetically. Should Akaneya freeze up Izumi would grab her wrist and guide the knife into the mans neck spilling his blood on the pavement as his life slowly faded. However the end of the man was met, Izumi would have another invitation for Akaneya “That was fun, want to get something eat after we take the brat home?”

Exit.

451 words for a total wordcount of 2,625.

B rank Mission: 2,500/2,500.

9Protection Duty (Izumi) Empty Re: Protection Duty (Izumi) Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Akaneya

Akaneya

C-rank
"What are you waiting for?"

The question rung in her head for a second. What had she waited for? She supposed that she had gotten lost in herself in some capacity, hesitating only when she re-awoke to her current situation. There was nothing expressly forbidding the killing of the offender, and in fact the contract had been clear that such an option would be considered equal to capture. Still, though, would he not serve his purpose better if Konoha had the opportunity to interrogate him?

"I was thinking-"

the squish of meat under her blade interrupted her thoughts. Her companion had decided to finish the job. Akaneya quickly climbed off to avoid the spurts coming from his neck; she wasn't really in the mood for an afternoon bath. "We did not know who sent him." she replied coldly to the whole matter, but sighed. To her surprise, this Zhi of the Mist offered her a dinner out after finalizing the mission's completion. It was an intriguing offer, especially as they had just made clear their mutual apathy, but it was for that very reason that Akaneya felt compelled to accept the invitation.

"That'd be...fine. I suppose."

A simple response as always, having retreated back to her monotone. Flicking the kunai free of blood until the blade could shine once more, she then placed it back in her bag, ensuring the bell was still attached. Losing the bell would be no great loss, but checking now saved her the annoying effort of having to buy a brand-jingling-new replacement later. It was near habitual at this point, the habit of checking for all her things before leaving a scene having been instilled in her a long time ago.

She turned to face the direction of Little Miss Hai, "What'd you have in mind?" she asked, starting the walk to get the kid home. It was not a particularly long walk remaining, and the crowded streets began to die down as well. The path ahead was straight and clear, as much as it could be in a metaphorical sense. They made the brief trek, and Little Miss Hai returned home safely.

Passing through the gate of her home, Little Miss Hai was greeted by her parents with a smile and a hug. Akaneya looked in, remembering distantly her own father, but simultaneously feeling so far removed from that time that she couldn't help but notice not a single emotion to be found within herself at those memories. To her, the years with her father were a simple fact of life; they were something that happened, and now something that did not. However fondly he was remembered, the memories failed to stir any warmth inside.

Those distant days, long ago, were often cold. Little Miss Hai likely could not understand how far removed she was from that life, given a rich and happy family in a prosperous village. She had a bright future laid out from her birth, something Akaneya could hardly sympathize with. Were it not for some special quality of youthful innocence, she might've even felt inclined to be spiteful towards the kid. Instead, however, she chose to let it go - to realize that she should not meddle in Little Miss Hai's affairs any more than she necessarily had to, to leave her for the world to teach in its own time. Everybody had their time, and if Little Miss Hai was unprepared when that time came, it was hardly any of Akaneya's concern.

She turned and started walking, the mission complete. There was no reason to stick around, apart from Zhi's recommendations for eating. Akaneya didn't really know where she was going, but it didn't stop her from taking those first few steps to get just about anywhere else.

Exit

Post stats:

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.