You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 1 of 1]

Rhys

Rhys

D-rank
"Sunagakure. The village hidden in the sand." Rhys sighed as he looked ahead at the village proper. It was the same as he remembered but felt different. He had come here when he was younger for his shinobi training at the academy.

His days were spent training in Ninjutsu and physical combat along with strategy, history, and arithmetic. After his lessons he would run the two hours it took him to get to his home, The Kenta Sanctuary.

This plot of land which had once been a simple goat farm, was now a safe haven for animals who had been captured or injured by men. Rhys's father, Yuuma, had spent years travelling the land to rescue the captive creatures that were sold as pets, or cut up to be sold off piece by piece. Every few months Yuuma would return with new animals to put in Rhys's care. Yuuma saved them and collected funds while Rhys stayed home to rehabilitate those that needed it, and house those that were far too dangerous to release back into the wild.

This routine carried on for many years. Rhys was now a young man of 20. He had finished his academy training, but chose to focus on his life with his animals. His life was one of purpose and even happiness. This, as with most good things, was to be short lived.

Rhys snapped back to reality. His eyes darted around him to regain his bearings. He had gotten lost in memory again, and he needed to focus on what he was doing.

"Suna, right...time to find a home I guess." Rhys rearranged his pack that carried all he held dear, and stepped forward to begin his mission. Step one being finding a decent apartment.

Sunagakure is nearly surrounded by a small mountain. There is a southern and northern entrance that are guarded at all times. Rhys always came through the South as it is the entrance closer to his home, but today Rhys decided to use the northern entrance. He wanted to get a better feel for his new home.

After circumnavigating the large natural barrier that cradled Suna Rhys finally found himself at the northern entrance. This gate was far larger than its southern counterpart as it was the one most commonly used by travelers. There were no fewer than 6 shinobi of various ranks patrolling the area, and Rhys was certain there were others he could not see. He hiked up his gear and approached.

"Step forward. Business in...oh I didn't see your headband. Don't think I've seen you around before." the gate guard regarded Rhys with the barest hint of interest.

"Ya I haven't been to the village in years. I grew up about an hour away on a farm. I'll be around more though, any leads on a cheap place to live?" Rhys replied trying to answer any questions the guard might ask up front. He wasn't one for talking to people more than necessary.

"Ah ok. Well go on through. Try around the curry shop, and of course there's always the sand dunes but no one I know chooses to live there." the guard gave a short laugh at his own statement.

He was obviously at best indifferent to the suffering of the masses huddled together in the sand dune slums of Sunagakure. Rhys had never gone in himself but has heard stories of the grotesque evironment in which the poor and desperate were forced to reside. Rhys would not be starting there.

He stepped through the threshold and into the village proper. He needed to find a semi-permanent place to live in the village so that he continue his work. He had a lump of gold the size of his head, but that had to pay for his rent and food for the foreseeable future. Right now "The Dragon's Tongue" curry shop sounded like an excellent place to start.

Rhys could smell the popular restaraunt before he could see it. The heavily spiced concoction wafted through the air and drew Rhys is voraciously. He practically sprinted in the door to the shop. He emerged into a familiar scene. The world famous establishment had expanded since he was here as an adolescent. They had pushed back a wall to make room for the extra tables, half of which were occupied even though it was the slow hour between lunch and dinner. Rhys took in the hefty aroma of the blended peppers and powders, it's strange how a smell could take you back to a memory.

Tears fell in rivulets into his Dragon Spit Tofu bowl. The salty drops swelling on top of the viscous substance. That morning had started like any other, but by the end of it Rhys's life would be forever changed.

Rhys had a good day. He aced a test and had found a prairie dog to play around with in between his classes. His father was away on another rescue mission so Rhys was left to his studies and to take care of the animals at their farm. He was excited to end his day at the village bazaar and get home to his friends.

Rhys had nearly finished the hour long walk to his home when he saw smoke on the horizon. Smoke coming from his home. Rhys sprinted desperately forward toward his shelter and all those in his care. His lungs burned as he ran faster and harder than he had ever been able to before.

By the time Rhys reached the smoldering remains of his home his lungs were ready to explode. He collapsed forward into a pile of ash at his first glance of the horrors that surrounded him. He lost consciousness and lie there for a long time. He eventually awoke, Rhys coughed up a mouthful of ash, the hot powdery substance lines his mouth and throat. He wheezed harsh breaths as he lifted himself up.

A gargling moan of ultimate despair crowed forth from Rhys's crumpled figure. He cast his gaze about at what had once been a safe haven for all creatures great and small. Now it was a scene of carnage and death.

The long eared squirrels lay surrounding the imported tree that had been there home, now it was a grotesque tombstone that still burned over their charred bodies. The bear that had been rescued from a travelling circus that whipped him and kept him in a cage barely bigger than himself, was chopped up in a pile outside of the small cave rhys's father had dug out for him. All variety of birds were strewn about the property, their feathers still wafting through the rising hot smoke.

These images would haunt Rhys for the rest of his life. He searched for any signs of life but none were to be found. A number of animals had been taken by whoever attacked his home, including his best friend Petunia. The great rhino had once saved Rhys's life, and he had failed to protect her.

Rhys finally walked away from the terrible things that occupied his home and wandered listlessly back towards the village of Sunagakure. He found himself in the Dragon's Tongue curry shop. He had been numb until his food sat before him and the spiced steam rose up awoke Rhys. He burst into tears as his reality washed over him.

"Rhys......Rhys!...Hey!..You ok there?" a familiar voice shook Rhys back to the present.

He was standing in the middle of the shop as people milled around him. The voice belonged to Akasha Ungo, a niece of the restaraunt's owner. The young red haired woman was standing in front of Rhys with a concerned look on her face.

Rhys turned his attention to the tan Olive skinned lady who stood before him. Akasha had been there 6 months ago when Rhys came in after his life had changed. She had calmed the sobbing Rhys and let him sleep in the back of the shop that night. The two had since become friends.

"Ya. Sorry I'm good. It's good to see you Akasha-san" Rhys gave a big grin as he fully returned his attention on what was happening now.

"You're always spacing out! Now cut the "San" crap and sit your giant ass down. I'll go start your food. " Akasha flashed him her notorious smirk as she turned and headed toward the kitchen.

Rhys was fond of the young woman. Her personality was as fiery as the food she cooked. The two had spent a couple hours a day together for a month after the incident. Rhys always got the same dish, and she always took her break to join him.

The big man went to his favorite table and sat down to wait on his food. Rhys could almost taste the mouthwatering "Dragon Spit Special" now. A container with two types of curry fashioned into a yin yang symbol. The chicken vindaaloo representing the yin, and the phaal curry pork represting the yang as the spiciest item on the menu. The circles within each were comprised on two dragon's breath chilies, the hottest in the known world. It came with two pieces of roti bread and Rhys always ordered a pint of goats milk to go with It.  It was not for the faint of stomach.

As Rhys envisioned his meal, so it came to be. It appeared before him as if by magic that was delivered from Akasha's very hands. She set down his order and then her own. It was the same dish, but her drink of choice was something a little stronger. She sat down to begin their familiar feasting ritual as if they had just done this yesterday.

"It's been a few months. Thought maybe you were dead." Akasha stated as she worked intently on her still steaming food. The pair both possesed the bad habit of speaking with their mouths half full of food.

"Dead huh? Didn't occur to you that I might just be eating somewhere else? Anyways I was just finishing my business back at the sanctuary. I sold the land and now I'm moving into the village. That's why I stopped in, to see if you had any leads on a place with cheap rent." Rhys spoke to his friend as he practically inhaled the food before him. He liked to mix his bowl together into one burning concoction with the hidden chili bombs within.

"Ha! Like you would eat anywhere else. We had to double our chili deliveries because of you. As for places to live I really wouldn't know. I've always lived above the shop. What I can do is talk to one of my regulars for you, he owns a lot of the buildings around here. Decent guy, but a little meek for my tastes." Akasha are her dishes one at a time and saving the small red chilies for "dessert". It had only been moments but the two had nearly devoured their meals.

"Ya that would be great, thanks Akasha-s... Akasha. I'll be staying at the inn down the road from here. This was better than ever. I'll come by more now that I'm living in town." Rhys smiled as he finished the last scrap of bread that he used to wipe up the last of his meal. The last bite consumed, he drained the pint of milk with a satisfied sigh.

"Ya you do that. I'll have the guy get in contact with you. Lunch is on me today but don't get used to it. Its just a welcoming gift on behalf of all of Sunagakure. See ya around Rhys-saaan" once more Akasha flashed her patented half smile as she gathered the gutted remains of their feast. She walked off back to work with purpose leaving Rhys with the same overwhelming feeling he always had when she brisked through his life like that.

The big man stretched with the joy of travel ending and a full stomach. It was time to head to the inn he would be staying in until he found a new home.

Rhys set out into the village. The place he was staying is located in between The curry shop, the bazaar, and the administration building making it ideally located for business. The aptly named "Standing Gourd Inn" is, as expected, the shape of a gargantuan gourd standing on one of the main roads. Rhys had always wanted to stay there as a boy. It was constantly filled with well to do travellers and important diplomats who wanted a taste of finery. The inn was reputable for it's candied cactus and for having the softest sheets and strongest sake in the village

Rhys had a fair sum of money from the sale of his family land, but it had to last him as rent and food for the foreseeable future. For now though, Rhys felt he deserved a touch of luxury. So the big man made his way in through the imported mahogany doors that led within.

Coloful strips of silk and satin adorned the walls of the welcoming room. Scantily dressed women were hurrying about serving foods and pouring a sweet smelling wine. Rhys was immediately set upon by who could only assume was the proprietor.

"Hello and welcome to the Standing Gourd Inn! I'm the proprietor of this fine establishment, Mr.Yukimono. How long do you intend to stay?" the miniscule man only came up halfway to Rhys's chest, but his presence gave him the presence of a much larger man. His hair was parted into two points facing up and out that easily have his height a few extra inches.

"Nice place you got here. I'll be around for a night or two, just until I find a place to live around here." Rhys could tell that the short stay was not what the tiny had hoped for. The disappointment was apparent but fleeting. He quickly ushered Rhys to the front desk.

"Well right this way. You will want the suite of course, and I'll sign you up for a massage and the hot rock massage, and maybe I'll send some 'entertainment' up for the young sir tonight. Would you like to place your room service ord.." Mr. Yukimono's mouth ran as fast as his tiny liegs did to keep pace with Rhys's long strides. Rhys eventually had to cut him off before he charged Rhys for the kitchen sink.

"Look all I need is a regular room. No treatments, entertainment, or room service. Just give me a comfy bed and a bottle of sake for tonight. I'll be back for the key later." Rhys replied with steadfast resolve. Niceties were alright, but this money had to last him. He gave a firm nod and headed out of the building.

It was still early afternoon and Rhys had nothing to do until Akasha's contact reached out to him. So, Rhys decided to visit some of the places he used to frequent as a child. He passed by the springs that heated the bath house, there were always various coldblooded animals about warming tthemselves in the natural heat source. Today there wasn't so much as a salamander and so Rhys moved on.

Next Rhys moved on to the familiar scenery of the Sandy arena. The notorious spot in Suna where the disputes of students and shinobi alike were decided. From slap fighting academy kids to full fledged chuunin battles took place in this open air platform. Rhys himself had fought here more than couple times. His big mouth and his affinty for animals over humans ensured his role as an outsider and this outsider fought for the respect he thought he deserved.

Rhys subconsciously scratched his full beard that covered the scar on his chin that he had attained last time he fought in this arena.

The wind howled across the platform whipping sand around as if to prove the merit of it's name, the sandy arena. Onlookers crowded around the two ninja in training who were stuck in an intense stare down.

Kasagi Uma, a young boy of 13 who was born to a long line of fan users that were celebrated through the village. Rhys Kenta, a 14 year old balding adolescent in his last year of the academy.  

"You insulted me for the last time Kasagi! You're going down, today!" the young Rhys called out in his cracking pubescent voice. He stood there with raised fists, ready to punch some respect into his tormentor.

"Ha! Like you could ever beat me, baaaaaldy!" the boy cried out in response. His mockery raising uproarious laughter from the onlookers. The boy pulled the large fan off of his back and swung it open. A torrent of wind flew out sending Rhys sprawling.

Not to be outdone, Rhys scrambled to his feet and rushed forward. He sprinted all out with his fist aimed to strike, a bestial growl emanating from his mouth. At the last moment Kasagi ducked down and connected with an uppercut...then cried out in pain.

Rhys's figure poofed into smoke leaving a large stone in his place. It fell to the ground as Kasagi was nursing his bruised fingers. Rhys seized his opportunity and emerged from the crowd he had hidden in when being knocked to his feet. He leaped through the air and slammed his fist into the back of Kasagi's head. The boy fell unconscious and everyone stopped laughing at the balding 14 year old boy who had already faced true dangers out in the world.

Rhys blinked away the memory and looked around. His mind was truly elsewhere today. He focused back on the somehow smaller arena and saw two kids in a very similar situation to the one he was just remembering. Rhys sat down to check out the strength of today's youth.

Two young women were standing on the platform with a larger crowd encircling them. It was hard to tell based on sight but Rhys guessed they were new genin. They stated each other down and made the obligatory threats to one another. Rhys wasn't close enough to make out what they said but most fights started with the same type of shouting.

After a few more minutes of hyping themselves, the two finally lunged for each other. The one on the left threw some terribly aimed shuriken as the one on the right flew through the air. The flying kunoichi connected her extended kick with her opponents face. She landed gracefully, but the pummeled adversary dropped like a sack of rocks. After ten minutes of talking the fight was over in seconds. Some times that's how these things go

Rhys couldn't help but to let out a hearty chuckle as he stood up and set out. He started heading back to the inn. Rhys was ready for dinner and to get some sleep. Tomorrow he had work to do.

He reached the lavish establishment as the sun was just beginning to set. His senses were once again assaulted by the sights sounds and smells of the garrish hotel. It occurred to Rhys that the only difference between this and brothel was that it cost far more. He shrugged away the thought and headed toward the one woman working who didn't look like she was trying to seduce a lover.

"Excuse me, One-san. I need the key to my room. My name is Rhys and set up arrangements earlier." his deep voice carrying over the dull roar of the patrons and workers in the common room.

"Ha! You can call me Manama-ba dear. Your room is ready, sake is in there, and you have a message I left on your bed. Here is the key." the kindly matron smiled as she cleaned a table with one hand and have Rhys his key. Her face was creased from years of smiling.

"Thank you Manaka-san." Rhys smiled as he turned to ascend the stars to his room.

It was a stately affair with every conceivable luxury. From foreign candies to rare desert flowers and the largest bed Rhys had ever laid eyes on. Rhys was sure he would be charged extra for all of it. He chuckled as he picked up the promised bottle of sake. He sat down on the bed that was soft as heaven must feel. He took a long draught from the bottle before opening the note on the pillow.

It was from Akasha. She had spoken with her customer the "meek land baron" or  however she had put it. There were three locations given for Rhys to go see at his leisure. She signed her name and drew a symbol that consisted of two chopsticks crossed to hold up a dragon's breath pepper, her family symbol.

Rhys smiled to himself before taking another swig. He set the bottle aside and lay down on the giant cloud of silk and cushions. He fell asleep before he even thought to try.

He dreamed of things that had happened to him and of things yet to come. A nightmare of the horrors he had beheld at his former home darkened his slumber, but it was quickly taken over by a fantasy involving a familiar dark skinned woman with crimson red hair. Rhys slept and slept as if he had not done so in years, not just the night before.

Finally Rhys awoke with a body shaking yawn. He stretched his renewed limbs and got out of bed. The sun had already been up for hours and the smell of the open bottle of sake made his nose sting. He quickly gathered his belongings and headed out of the room. He made sure to stop and leave some extra money for Manaka on his way out of the now deserted Standing Gourd Inn. Apparently it's occupants were not fans of the morning light.

Rhys smiled as he stepped into the warm sunlight. He pulled out the note he had received the night before to begin checking out the suggested properties.

The first one he immediately disregarded, it was far too expensive. So, he decided to check the second one on the list as it was the cheapest. He started making his way to the location, but it wasn't long before she realized the directions were taking him to the slums. Maybe Akasha's contact wasn't very helpful after all.

Half-heartedly, Rhys went off towards the final listing. His expectations were dismal but he still had to check it out. When he finally found the small bulding he was pleasantly surprised. It was in a prime area near the bazaar and it looked relatively nice. He went inside the furnished apartment and couldn't help but smile. It wasnt big but it had everything he needed, and at a decent price.

Rhys immediately set down his belongings and made himself comfortable. Today he would meet with Akasha and her friend to pay for the rent in the apartment. This was to be his new home.

Now that his base was established he was prepared to begin his new life. He would send word to his father about his new address, though Rhys didn't expect any word from him for some time. Here Rhys would stay and grow stronger with the other village shinobi. The day would come when he gained information on the villains that destroyed his home and his life. In that day his vengeance would begin.

Exit

WC:3982

STR E-D 750
END E-D 750
PER E-D 750
REA E-D 750
SPD E-D 750
Total 3750

3982-3750

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.