You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down Message [Page 1 of 1]

Anri Mao

Anri Mao

D-rank
Anri would traverse through the streets of Iwagakure at a rather slow pace today, though not because he had anything on his mind at the moment, nor because he had an actual interest in the surrounding sights of the surrounding village, but because he was in pain, and in a lot of it too. It turns out that painkillers really, really don't work, especially for chest wounds that are taking quite a while to heal. Every breath hurt, and every step felt like an eternity to take, almost as if father time had decided to make today the day to play around with the recovering Genin, to test his already weakened body further, and to make him strongly tempted to just skip out on what he had been instructed to do, which was to meet the Tsuchikage for presumably some sort of reason.

It's because of this that Anri wasn't able to really have a chance to recover from that fiasco that had happened at the lake yet, and it's why, even now, the series of bandages pressing up against his torso had left him in a state of constant, dull pain. On top of that he wore his skin-tight suit, one that covered his body, though still remained hidden underneath his green and white tracksuit, unable to be seen externally. He know he should be spending his time recovering and recuperating, but he also wished to do some missions and get a better feel of Iwagakure during the night time. After all, when he recovers and actually begins trying to fight crime, he wished to have a good lay of the land and the rooftops first.

Still, the multiple layers of clothing made him feel hot, even for a Kanetsu. Thankfully, the weather was rather cool, but even then, he felt like he was dressed for a winter rather than for going to meet the Kage. He hoped it wouldn't be too long, or if it was there would be water or something else of the sort he could drink. The warmth also served to further irritate the wound on his torso too, making sure he knows at all times that it's there, a lasting sign that he really, really sucks right now. It surprised him, though. He didn't expect to meet someone so dangerous right away, especially when he figured that that fire had been started originally through natural means, not through some psycho running around.

Reaching the insides of the Administration Building, Anri would grip the strap of his handbag tightly with both hands as he looked around with concerned eyes, trying to figure out where the hell to go. Guessing that he'll just have to try door-to-door, the Genin would begin knocking on each door, opening it to peek inside shortly afterwards. It wasn't exactly the thing the heroes did in the comic books, where they pretty much immediately knew where to go, where something or someone was at, and how to proceed, but hey, those guys had powers, Anri himself just has anxiety and a lacking of a clue on what to do. Beginning to get bored and seemingly alone, Anri wanted to enjoy himself a little bit, and as a result, coming up to the next door he saw, he would stand in front of it, doing nothing at first.

Looking left and then right, the male would smirk and, with some waves of pain shooting through his body, raise his leg. "Justice..." He would say to himself, confident this door would be wrong as well. "Kick!" He would exclaim enthusiastically, bringing his foot against the door, though it wouldn't budge, instead with a small thud Anri would be left hobbling backwards, his foot hurting from the impact. After a few, small moments of this, he would realize that he wasn't exactly strong enough to kick open closed doors with working handles just yet, and instead, taking a deep breath, would open the door, only to reveal it to be an office of some sort. 'Whoops..' He would think to himself as he sheepishly walked in, hoping to get a better look of it and to see if Karumo is here.

wc 711

Karumo

Karumo

D-rank
It was a cool day, a great chance to have coffee and relax outside comfortably, to lean against a tree somewhere and read or meditate. That wouldn't be so, the administration and running of the village! The nuances of paperwork dragged on and tortured his under utilized mind so. He questioned every marking, every pen stroke, did the village really need my signature for this? Why can't someone else fill in this job? Still, he knew the actual reasons behind everything but he liked to be apathetic about it all in mindset and worked tirelessly to get his work out of the way. In some ways, it could be a lot worse than he had it, simple signatures and glancing over profiles was never a bad task, if nothing more than busy work.

Still, he felt bad now, he was the former Captain of the Oracles! and former headmaster of the world's most renowned University! He felt so stifled even then in the day to day and office work wasn't the way to put his mind to the test, he always felt better teaching students and even running missions from time to time, it always worked out so much better that way. Or at least, he thought so and it was why he hadn't given up either of the tasks in his time as Tsuchikage.

Still, more pen writing came, the words Karumo Sekuro scratched among the pages so many times, he set his pen down and stretched his hand a bit, feeling it grow stiff from the repeated action. Taking his left and massaging at the palm as a sudden interruption came, the mumbled words behind the door caught his ear but Karumo ignored them as nothing more than the words of a passerby, that was until his door shook violently. Slamming against the hinges, itself, the bolt that held the door closed, all of it crashed as if it were trying to be burst open but for some reason, it didn't? Karumo's eyes had shot up curiously, if it were ANBU they would have easily tore the door of the hinges and launched it in, or they would have just entered in normally. Most people beyond that tended to knock but Karumo was completely caught off guard here.

What emerged from the slowly opened door moments later was one of his students, Karumo at the desk centered in the room and from the doorway, let his purple eyes widely glance at his pupil. Around the room were bookshelves and such, some other knick-knacks lined the walls and stacks of paper and files on his desk at various heights. In front of that desk sat two chairs angled towards him but Karumo had only one thought he would vocalize as the boy would inevitably enter. "Wha-... why?" he would pause and blink for a moment as he awaited a response of any kind really.

[493 words]

Anri Mao

Anri Mao

D-rank
Anri would look around the room as he entered, holding onto his chest as the pain was still irritated, making him moan slightly for a moment before quieting down. After his eyes closed and his face flinched from grimacing, he would take notice of how ordinary the office appeared, seemingly revealing nothing about the owner at all. There wasn't much of a personal touch to the office, from what Anri could see, as other than some knick-knacks it only had some bookshelves, stacked with books the Genin could only imagine wasn't very interesting at all, and knowledge that wasn't needed at the time.

Upon the desk would be stacks upon stacks of paper and files, the various heights creating a sort of makeshift city out of them, the various towers rising high up. It would certainly be impressive, if one was an ant or a midget and not a human, though nonetheless while the height isn't impressive in itself, the amount of work to be done is something of a wonder, making Anri wonder how exactly his squad's sensei was able to even find time to run a squad, let alone actually meet with them one-on-one. He certainly didn't envy the position, especially now, when he is faced with the greatest evil of all; Bureaucracy.

In front of this desk would be two chairs that were angled towards it, though that's not what made Anri gulp and look down and away, no. The thing that had got him to immediately look away would be the man sitting behind the desk, whom of which seemed to be somewhat at a loss for words, asking with a "wha- why?" before taking a pause, blinking. 'Oh god oh god oh god oh god heheardaboutmyjusticekick' Anri would think to himself as he mentally panicked, though would remember that he did just enter the office seemingly in pain. He knew how he could pass this off. Waving sheepishly, the Genin would stand where he was, offering a rather nervous smile. "H-Hello Sensei. I-I'm sorry about the d-door, I fell and... yeah.." He would begin, his voice trailing away for a moment as he realized just how utterly clumsy that sounded. Damn, it was almost not worth keeping up the appearances, especially now that chances are the man sitting behind the desk would probably view him as useless.

"Y-You wanted to talk to us one on one, r-right?" He would ask as he realized he was still waving his hand, causing his smile to fade as he would quickly return the left hand to its place on the strap of his hand bag, where it belonged. "D-Do you mind if I sit?" He would request once more, looking at the seat and taking a small, limping step towards it, not knowing how to proceed from here on out. Taking another few small and limping steps towards the seat, Anri would stop, waiting for permission as the door closed behind him, leaving him alone in the office with his senpai.

wc 520

twc 1231

Karumo

Karumo

D-rank
Anri dragged his feet into the room, holding his chest and groaning a bit, Karumo held an inquisitive stare as he wondered what had actually happened, waiting for a more... thorough response. The boy looked around the office, taking a moment before looking down and away, Karumo exhaled a bit as he waited, his brow moving up in curiosity as he waited. He turned to offer a sheepish smile and made a comment about... tripping? Well, his wording said fallen but... from what else? And on a flat floor? Karumo mentally shrugged it off and straightened up, sitting back a bit and offering a small bit of verbage, "Uh, huh..."

Anri didn't hesitate long after before he continued on, mentioning that Karumo was seeing everyone one on one and such, then asking if he could take a seat, stammering to start each sentence. It was true that he was bashful, a note made from the academy among some other notes about being ill and meekly often, Karumo could see a bit of it in him, but that powerful Kanetsu blood that flowed through him was a power in its own regard. Along with high marks and Karumo had something he could relate to, not being the most physically prowessed one in his time and upbringing either, he had the mind to make up for it and could relate to a degree. Karumo would nod in response to his question, "Of course, take a seat." he would poise as Anri closed the door and closed the gap to the desk himself, Karumo motioning to either seat for him to take.

Karumo would continue on as he would begin to sit down, "I did want to meet with all of the squad on their own time, get a feel for each of you better, figure out who you are and where your strengths and weaknesses lie. That way... I can drive them out and fix them most effectively..." he offered with a bit of a grin, wondering how Anri would take that. A small challenge/threat, the otherwise consistently nervous boy would probably have some slight reaction to, and if he didn't, well... that was an anomaly that Karumo would delve into more to start their conversation.

With that, while waiting for a response, Karumo would dig into a drawer behind his desk and open a small wooden box, pulling out a pre-cut cigar and holding it up, with a question, potentially interrupting, "Do you mind?" Truthfully, Karumo didn't much care if he did or not, but would be courteous for the time. Eventually, he wouldn't ask him or anyone on the squad as they would learn to adjust to it, but for the time being, he'd give the courtesy before lighting it and puffing on the dried tobacco leaves.

[474 words, 967 words]

Anri Mao

Anri Mao

D-rank
Anri would smile with relief as he moved towards the nearest seat, the right one, and sat down slowly, sitting straight while he would then slowly take off of handbag, holding it with both hands as he would set it off to his left side, the bag leaning against the left of the front two chair legs. He would hear how his Sensei wanted to meet with them on their own time and get a feel for each of them better, figuring out who they are and where their strengths and weaknesses lie. This only seemed to make sense and sounded perfectly reasonable. A squad that doesn't know how to handle a weakness they discover later on will most likely fall apart and put everyone in danger, or a strength or knowledge not shared could ruin a good opportunity, as well. Anri could understand this entirely, especially considering it's their Sensei that wishes to know, the guy that's going to be the one to put up with their crap.

The next bit would make the bashful Genin swallow, essentially gulping as he processed what the Kage had said. To drive them out and fix them most effectively? He was unsure how to really take this. There weren't a lot of strengths he had, really, but weaknesses? Well, Anri was worried there won't really be much left to fix when they're driven out, especially the weaknesses that are more genetic than willing. Sure, anyone could overcome a fear, but what happens when it's genetics that is what's weakening you? That somewhat of a grin seemed to unsettle the male as well, whom of which lowered his head slightly, turning it slightly to the left as he leaned back a little, his eyes not leaving his Sensei no matter how much he wanted to, but while Anri would see that as a threat he felt the alter-ego inside him take that as a challenge, and that piece of him would be what helped him no longer hold that reaction, instead straightening back up, making it seem as though he was only wincing.

Instead, he would perform another short reaction, with something akin to a smirk and a light glare appearing on his face. "I'm looking forward to it." He would say, only to catch the temporary lapse in self that had just occurred, leaving him rubbing the back of his neck as he closed his eyes, the smirk quickly changing into a nervous smile. "I-I mean, I'm looking forward to seeing how you plan to do that, heh." Opening his eyes and lowering his hand, he would see that his Sensei withdrew a cigar, holding it up and asking if Anri mind. "Go ahead, y-you're the one that's in charge." He would say as the man lit the cancer stick. He personally didn't mind that others smoke, especially when it's own their own workspaces, as it's their lives, but Anri already knew he would never smoke personally. Frankly, he has enough problems with stamina without smoking.

"I-I'm sure you already have the f-files of our squad, so probably already k-know about my.. physical weaknesses. I'm frail, I-I have low stamina, and I have complications that are more.. g-genetic than not." He would say, hinting at how his parents were more.. close in regards to familiar relations than not. Was incest legal? He should look it up on the Ninja Google sometime late- do they even have a Ninja Google?! "Oh! I uh.." he would begin, his voice trailing away as he wondered if he should even say it. It was something that he, as a Kanetsu, was particularly embarrassed about, and even now just the thought of admitting it made his mouth curl downwards, forming a frown as his eyes looked away from the Kage for a few moments. "I'm scared to use lava for offensive purposes. I hurt myself bad when I was younger.. I-I haven't gotten over it since."

"A-as for strengths... I'm somewhat smart? I don't know. I'm pretty good at Ninjutsu, and I'm starting to get into Genjutsu, s-somewhat. I-don't really last long in a fight, but w-what can you do when you're naturally weak? M-me, I think that if you try hard enough, y-you can make up for that weakness if y-you can think things through, then again I'm not very good at that either.. yeah." He would explain, wincing as the wound flared up again, making a "tch" sound come out of him as he would lightly place his left hand over his chest, gently touching it for a split second before seeing that it did nothing to help, he'll just have to muscle through it, he guessed.

Wc 846

Twc 2077

Karumo

Karumo

D-rank
Karumo lit the cigar and puffed away at it, leaning back and listening as Anri mused a bit about his weaknesses first, it wasn't exactly what Karumo intended to go over. He started out seeming to have a weird fascination and guilt trip about his own inabilities first hand. Karumo blinked and listened intently, slow puffs of smoke lifted into the air as he shifted pace towards his strengths. Smart, Ninjutsu, Genjutsu. Outside the occassional stuttering and clear nervousness, he was quick and short to the point. That intellect wouldn't do them any good if he wasn't confident enough to use it on the spot and in response to their situation. Truthfully, he'd seen some aptitude of intellect in each of his squad members in some form, he'd have to push beyond that if he were to keep up, but Karumo kept this musing to himself for now.

Karumo nodded and paused after he finished, holding a breath of smoke in his mouth before lightly releasing it up into the air, letting the boys retraction at his shoulder fall quietly. Karumo spoke up as his eyes fell back down towards him, "You know, if you're injured, you should go to the hospital and have it checked out..." he blinked for a moment, knowing he never did so himself, never really feeling when he'd fractured a bone or cut himself, it left him riddled with fresher scars and aches that limited his speed because of his own condition.

Karumo would continue on, holding the cigar to the side, the smell of the burnt tobacco filled the air with a scent of burnt oak. "But... in your own words," Karumo raised his brows towards him as he pointed out the paraphrasing to come, "You're quiet weak and hindered by your own genetics, and at the same time, fear using the potent and deadly kekkai genkai that distinguishes you in favor of strengths that most everyone has in some capacity?" he fell silent for a second, letting his words ring in the room, he'd leaned forward a bit during his tangent and watched the boy intently.

Then, without warning, cutting him off if he decided to speak up, he would fall back with a smirk and bring the cigar back to his lips, "That's fine..." he nodded. "If you don't mind me asking... why are you scared to use your lava style? We all get hurt in training, if that's truly it, then we have a lot of ground to cover in a very short time..." he mused on, inhaling from the cigar again as he waited.

[446 words, 1413 words total]

Anri Mao

Anri Mao

D-rank
"I already went, it's just the aftermath. It's just a nasty cut, that's all." Anri would explain in response to the Kage's recommendation to go to the hospital and have it checked out. Frankly, "cut" is putting it lightly, he would be lucky to not have a nasty scar from that damn odachi. One of the few nights lately in which he could don his costume, and he was left with an injury, delightful. He would have to make a mental note to find the stranger that gave him that later on and bring him in to face justice. That is later, however, and right now, he should be better focused on the conversation at hand. The pain was already subsiding once more, and Anri would attempt to straighten himself out more, ignoring the burnt oak smell that stagnated itself within the air from the cigar that Karumo was smoking.

He would be told once more about how he is quite weak and hindered by his genetics, not to mention he fears using what his sensei calls "a potent and deadly kekkei genkai that distinguishes him" in favor is strengths everyone has in some capacity. 'Exactly, sensei.' He would muse to himself in response as the room had fallen silent, the words ringing out through the room as the man leaned forward and had begun to watch Anri intently. Just as Anri was about to reply, his sensei had seemingly been satisfied with whatever observation he was having at that moment, falling back with a smirk as he begun to smoke once more, telling him that it was fine with a nod. Then though, it was time for the dreaded question, the one that would and should come up when you hear that someone isn't using their greatest strength to their advantage; why is he scared to use his lava style?

It would be explained that they all get hurt in training, as if that was as simple as it sounds, where one can just accidentally cut, burn, or electrocute themselves and get back up and say "It's all good, I was the only one that got hurt, and I can live with it", but that's not the entire case, but it does lead to the issue of having a lot of ground to cover, and in a very short time at that. Looking away for a moment, the injured male's eyelids closed partially as the seemingly nervous look that was previously on his face from before had disappeared. Honestly, this man was not only his sensei, but also the Tsuchikage, the leader of the village and the one protecting it, and frankly, from the way he repeated the earlier statements, making sound like Anri was of little use without his lava, part of it hit a cord in him, made him feel as if his own use was being challenged. In his eyes, he felt that just because he's scared of lava doesn't mean he's any less useful than the average Kanetsu, it just means he has to make up for it in other ways, not to mention he's not scared of fire or earth by any means, either.

"Yes, it was during training, but it wasn't just me hurting myself." He would begin as his partially lidded eyes shot back to his sensei, making it nearly look like a glare. "I assume you already know what it sounds like when someone gets burned badly, and what it looks like. I hear the whimpering and yelling everyday, and I know what it feels like firsthand. You talked about my strengths just now as if just because everyone has the capacity to know them that I'm little more than anyone else. I can still use lava for defense, for supplementary gain. The fact I don't rely on it heavily like how some others may is what makes me able to be stronger than them, Sensei." He would begin, pausing for a short moment as he had begun to slip out of his act, his own ego in regards to how he feels on his fear overtaking him, pushing the "Anri" alter ego backwards a bit.

"Whatever more ground that has to be covered for that fear can be done whenever. You can try breaking me out of it, if you want, but I'm not going to use it mainly to hurt another person again. My suggestion is seeing what I can learn and do without relying on it, and I can show that just because I'm a Kanetsu doesn't mean that I need to use my kekkei genkai offensively in order to get by." He would finish as he would reach into his right pocket of his tracksuit, his right hand gripping tightly to the mask that was there, tempted to pull it out, to show who he is on the side, but most of all, it's to remind him that, while he may want to defend himself, he should remember that he should obey those above him, those to represent justice, and not end up getting a sharp tongue. He would lose the little half-glare he gave as he would let go to the mask, hand pulling out of the pocket once more, resting on the top his lap.

His face would begin to soften once more as the nervous look attempted to return, to cover up the small blunder he made in which he had lost his cover for a few moments. "S-sorry, I've been told b-before that I am defensive? I don't see it... though.." he would begin, his voice trailing off for a few moments before starting back up once more. "I-if you don't mind me asking, d-do you rely on your gifts more than anything else, s-sensei? Do you have any fears?" They were two separate questions, of course, though both would help him get to know the man better, and hopefully get a hint into where his ideals lie.

Wc 1023 = 3100

Karumo

Karumo

D-rank
A nasty cut was all... Karumo nodded with a small 'Hmm' to accompany it, pulling in another inhale of that cigar of his and holding it, absorbing the flavor for a moment as he patiently watched the boy in front of him. The boy looked away and closed his eyes as Karumo waited for an answer, about why he was scared of that kekkai genkai of his, either digging deep mentally or just hesitating emotionally. He started out, making comments about burns, wondering... was he really just afraid to hurt people? Karumo's face dropped to a dull stare as he listened, a raised brow for parts of it as the boy high roading his own decision. Self righteousness in place of fear, it almost made Karumo want to scoff! But he held his tongue, waiting for him to end his rant on some notion that he could still 'get by' without using his kekkai genkai.

Karumo exhaled more smoke, pulling the cigar from his lips and letting it rest ash down into the ceramic tray he'd pulled out on his desk. There was, uniquely a ferocity and determination in his eyes as Karumo's own purple eyes returned the gaze, quickly after Anri snapped out of his ferocity and returned back into the boy he was initially, stuttering and stand offish at everything. He asked Karumo himself two question, if he relied on his gifts and if he had any fears. Karumo leaned back a bit and sighed, he planned to lecture him about the bravado of his ideals but perhaps it would be better to respond first.

Karumo leaned back up and looked him dead on as he spoke, "I heavily rely on the gifts I have, whether for better or worse." his eyes would flicker in clarity, the deep purple and black lines accenting them, they were his own prowess and his own form of Kekkai Genkai. "I don't know what you know of these eyes of mine, but they limit parts of the brains of those people I make eye contact with, by either limiting or releasing its natural limiters, or... with my own special craft, by forming seals directly on the brain itself." The thought therein deadly and dangerous in a way that most people weren't willing to accept or understand. That a battle could be won by eye contact, so easily, Karumo could take an enemy with a great advantage over him and bring them down so quickly to his own level.

"As for my fears, I have plenty of them. I fear for myself and my legacy, those around me, the village... leaving it in a place it can sustain itself. I fear every action I make may have been the wrong one, to place lives upon scales and say that a decision was objectively better than another, that weight never leaves a person and never goes away, a constant threat and reminder against my own ville mentality." he ranted on and stood up from his desk, walking around it towards Anri a bit lazily. Once Karumo would reach him, he would place his left hand on the boys left shoulder, looking past him towards the door, then with his right hand he would pull out a kunai, shimmering in the artificial light of the room.

Karumo would release his hand and turn towards the boy, flipping the kunai in his hand and holding it towards Anri for him to take. The blade in Karumo's hand and the handle and ring towards him, Karumo would speak as he would wait for him to grab it, "How many lives do you think that kunai has taken?" he would pause for a brief moment to let the gravity of those words sink in.

"How many lives do you think have been snuffed out by the hand I placed on your shoulder?" he paused again and would glance down towards him to see his reaction, not leaving him enough of a gap to respond with. "No one here would advocate for you to use that kekkai genkai of yours to torture people, but decisions are decision and none can afford for us to weigh our own righteousness against them. When you've been active as long as I've been and hold as many positions as I have, done the missions, and served in the ANBU as an elite, even as someone who hasn't done anything spectacular in his time, you learn the cost of taking a life. I know what burns are, I know much worse, watching blood pour out of a person, their throats cut open or jutsu consuming them whole. And every one of them, all having dreams and goals of their own, but we do it to protect our own... to protect those we care for and aim for a peace beyond today." he would turn back around, letting the kunai remain in Anri's hands a little longer if he would hold it.

"See, it's not that it bothers me that you won't use the lava release to it's full power, but it concerns me that when it comes down to it, should I be captured and you need to save your teammates, what would you do? Only defending and blocking against them ends in stalemate, you haven't saved yourself then... you shouldn't limit your arsenal by fear, not when people's lives could be put at stake for it. If you have trouble living with the fear and anxiety of watching people burn and cry out in pain, wait until your friends begin to fall and die in front of you... that's the real fear, what I fear..." he moved and sat down back behind his desk, reaching for the cigar and grabbing it again, moving to pull more of the smoke into his body.

[986 words, 2399 words total]

Anri Mao

Anri Mao

D-rank
Anri wouldn't show much surprise as Karumo had told him about his heavy reliance upon the gifts he has, whether for better or for worse. He suspected they would disagree on this, and while he can understand why someone would rely on something that makes them special, he would never wish to heavily rely on his own. He just feels that if he does end up relying on it, he will no longer be able to say that he became stronger from his own willpower, that he was capable of defying the odds and going from runt of the litter to a person that can stand on their own feet. Sure, he could barf lava all around him if he wanted, to just say to hell with learning to stand on his own two feet before he tries learning more about his Kekkei Genkai, but to be someone strong, to be a hero, he needed to get rid of that temptation to rely on it, and while his past helped him greatly in doing that, it was he himself, an individual that wished to strive for something more and not have it said that he only got where he was because of his blood, that in the end chose to follow this path.

He would take notice of the deep purple and black lines that accented Karumo's eyes, a clear display of what being a member of the Fantamusodo Clan entails. He knew nothing about these eyes, but soon he would learn, as his sensei would tell him that they limit parts of the brains of people he makes eye contact with, either by limiting or releasing the natural limiters, or with his own craft, which involves forming seals directly on the brain itself. It was certainly something terrifying to think about, to be able to literally lay traps in someone's head, so have them set them off before they can fully recognize what was happening. There was certainly a reason as to why the man had those titles that he had, and why he's currently the Kage. But even if such a power was offered at that moment, Anri himself would easily push it away. He could admire Karumo's ingenuity with his gifts, but like Anri had said previously, he wants to stand on his own two feet.

He would listen to the man's fear for himself, his legacy, his village and those around him, fearing that every action he makes may have been the wrong one, to place lives on scales and say that a decision was better than another. He could see how such a responsibility never leaves a person, instead remaining a constant reminder that they made those decisions, for better or for worse. As his sensei stood up from his desk and began to walk towards Anri, Anri himself would weigh on this, trying to come up with his own assessment of the Kage. Karumo certainly seemed to mean well, and he was certainly someone that had the fears he would expect from a good leader, along with the recognition that his choices were his. Overall, he seems to mean well, even if he and the young Kanetsu hold different views on Kekkei Genkai.

He would be knocked out of his thought process however by the left hand that was now on his shoulder, and as he turned around, a kunai, one of which would be shimmering, would be in his hand, held towards the black-haired male to take. Anri would take the handle of the blade into his right hand, holding it there as he would be asked of how many lives this weapon has taken. This blade in particular? If the Kage had underwent some missions, most likely in the double digits, if not, probably in the single digits, though before he could answer, he would be asked about Karumo's left hand, how many lives it has snuffed out. Once more, Anri would think about it, though his face would display that of a short realization as he was beginning to see what he was being instructed on by those two, about the necessity of killing. But while it can be said that it is necessary to kill those that would be a danger, can it also be said the same thing about the innocent?

He would be told that no one here would advocate for him to use his kekkei genkai of his to torture others, though none of them can afford to weight their own righteousness against those decisions, especially since decisions are decisions. When he's been as active as long as Karumo has and has held as many positions as he has, done the missions, and served as an elite ANBU, then even as someone who hasn't done anything spectacular in his time, he learns the cost of taking a life. He has knowledge of burns, and much worse, including watching blood pour out of a person, their throats cut open or jutsu consuming them whole, and every one of them having dreams and goals of their own, but they do it to protect their own, and to protect those they care about, aiming for peace beyond today. With that, the Kage turned around, leaving the weapon behind.

It wasn't Anri's refusal to use his abilities to their full power that bothered Karumo, but that when it comes down to it, should he be captured and he needs to save his teammates, what would he do? The idea of only blocking and defending against them ends in a stalemate. If he hasn't saved himself he shouldn't limit his arsenal with fear, especially when the lives of others are at stake. If he has trouble living with the fear of watching others burn and suffer then he may as well wait until his friends begin to fall and die in front of him, as that's the real fear, what he fears. With that, his sensei would move back around his desk, once more smoking a cigar, leaving Anri to stare at the kunai in his hand.

It was all true, sadly, he couldn't rely on using lava defensively forever, and while he is more than okay with using fire and earth, he knows that one day, it wouldn't be enough and, one day, he'll have to take yet another life. Sadly, Anri hated to admit it, especially in a discussion involving this dark topic, but he knew that this brutal truth came with meaning, a well meaning intention of opening his eyes and seeing that there are far more important things ahead that his ideals may hinder him on, and he has to be prepared for when such a time comes. He felt he would never get used to the idea of killing another person, but he decided that when the time comes and all else had failed, he will do wait he must. "You're right, sensei, I can't hide behind my refusal to use my kekkei genkai forever." He would say as his lips quivered a little, though he would force them to stop, wishing to keep himself better composed now. Anri was a failure in this meeting, and with the lack of stuttering and the lack of a nervous look he had before, his alter-ego would take over.

"I always wanted to be a hero, like the ones you see on the television or the comics, where they're able to use their strength to help others. When I was younger, I was stupid, figured that if they can use their powers to fight crime, I could too, except it wasn't actual crime, it was me and a friend of mine pretending, but it got out of hand, and now he's gone, because I was too scared to save him when the time actually came to save him, instead I acted selfish and only mentioned my own injuries, scared of what would happen to me if I talked about what happened to him." He would explain, admitting what had happened to spark the fear inside of him. He already knew Karumo had been through much worse, had seen much worse, but surely he can understand that seeing that as a kid, of being the reason why someone that didn't deserve death is now dead, it creates fear in itself.

"Since then, I hated the fact I can use lava, and I figured that without using it offensively I can still stand on my own two feet. Recently though, around a night or two ago, there was a fire nearby where the village gets its water from, and when I went to investigate, I got shown that I'm still just a weakling. They wielded an odachi, but I don't recall any other details about them. I know that I should rely more on my kekkei genkai, and if you are able to help me overcome my fear, then I'll use it so I won't be a hinderance to the squad." It was an extremely hard pill to swallow, his pride almost making him want to just walk out originally, and not admit that the Kage is right, but that would be extremely arrogant and short-sighted, traits that he can't afford to have. "I'm sorry."

1575/4675

Karumo

Karumo

D-rank
Karumo leaned forward and folded his hands together as Anri started to retract on his stance a bit. A slow stream of smoke left from Karumo's lips as he listened intently to his words, watching his posture, his eyes, and everything about him as he backed up and changed his mentality. Anri faltered a little bit, he quivered and fell to a low point in his own nervousness but what emerged next was more confident and focused than before. Or, was past the point of confidence he'd encroached upon just a moment before.

He'd always wanted to be a hero like those in media, using their powers to fight for justice and defend the innocent against criminals and their crime. Karumo's head fell as he understood where he went, what he'd done and how hard it was to live with something like that at his own hands. The idea brought a bit of a melancholy over Karumo as he realized how much deeper it sunk for the boy in front of him, it was no matter of adjusting him to pain but instead a task for breaking him of his own subconscious. Anri continued on, Karumo nodded along as he understood his hatred and resentment of it, but perhaps it wasn't hatred but fear like he'd originally spoken. Rage masquerading as hate; Karumo knew that feeling all too well, felt it for so long in his earlier years... it reminded him of himself just a little.

He continued on with his story of getting wounded and injured in a fight, he continued on with a sentiment and an apology, Karumo's eyes snapped up towards him, the cigar flickering away in his hand, he hadn't bothered to inhale of its smoke for a moment now. "Don't apologize to me." his words would cut the air as he would look onto Anri, not even blinking in his calm and focused stature. "Your forgiveness belongs to your past self and your current self. You shouldn't say sorry to me now, if you have a way to train and fight against your predicament, then do it. You shouldn't wait for a mistake and hope on others forgiveness... or you'll end up with more lost friends. I know that much..." Karumo paused and dropped the cigar into the ashtray.

"Learn to hone your power, wield it with precision and expertise and you can still be like your heroes. A choice to walk a noble path and protect the weak is more valuable an ideology than most ninja get to walk, but if you forsake your powers now, when you haven't pushed on yet past the struggle, then you're only betraying yourself."

"Perhaps you could do fine and make your way without it, without relying on your bloodline. But as a ninja, we have to think of the number of tools at our disposal and account for every scenario, a kekkai genkai with such versatility can't be ignored, but don't worry, I will help where I can, but you have to put it on your shoulders. Like your heroes who have to live with every decision and mistake they make, you can either hang it up and try to move on, or accept and learn. Ever moving forward to the next challenge and to protect the next innocent bystander in the path of battle." Karumo continued on, trying to tailor the language more to inspiration and angled at his heroes and his own hopes and dreams. Though, perhaps the words would fall on deaf ears, Karumo knew himself all the time he bottled himself up that he wouldn't want to hear any drivel like this.

Still, sometimes, the advice that people need to hear isn't the advice they want to hear. Well, at least he went for inspiration and not the more... hardcore status of scaring him into action or belittling his decision. So many ninja were desensitized and brought up into killers, assassins, and agents of war. Perhaps having one person brought up with a mind for altruism and a focus on the betterment of people wouldn't be a bad thing in their shinobi world.

[710 words, 3109 words total]

Anri Mao

Anri Mao

D-rank
Anri would listen to Karumo's denying his apology, telling him that it belongs to his past and current self and telling him that he shouldn't say sorry to him now as he should just do it if he has to train and fight against his predicament. Waiting for a mistake and hoping on the forgiveness of others is wrong, and it'll just end up with more lost friends, which he more than has knowledge of. After seemingly pausing and dropping the cancer stick into the ashtray, the Kage would tell Anri to learn to hone the power, to wield it with precision and expertise so he can still be like a hero. A choice to be able to walk a noble path and protect the weak is something that is more valuable a path than one that most Shinobi walk, but the forsaking of his powers when he hasn't pushed on yet past the struggle is only a self-betrayal, a thing that will hold him back and keep him from actually walking that path fully.

He mused on the idea of Anri's doing fine and making his way without it, but as a ninja they have to think of the number of tools at their disposal and account for every scenario, and a versatile Kekkai genkai cant be ignored. It was true, sadly enough. It couldn't be ignored, or rejected, no matter how many times he wanted to reject it, it was something that's apart of him, a slice of his being, and in the end, perhaps it was better than he accepts it. He's scared of ending up relying too heavily on it or using it to harm an innocent, but if he found some sort of middle ground, or some way to reassure him that such a thing wouldn't happen, he figured he could give it some kind of shot. Thankfully, the Kage seemed to agree as well, as he would state that he will help where I can, but Anri has to place it onto his shoulders.

Like the heroes he idolizes, whom of which have to live with every decision and mistake they had made, he could either hang it up and move on, or accept it and learn, moving forward to the next challenge and to protect the next innocent in battle. Could one accept something that they're scared of losing control? Does one have to accept it in order to use it? Anri wanted to listen to this, this appealed to him greatly, his alter-ego, on the other hand, wanted to scream about how heroes can still be heroes, individuals that overcome their weaknesses with other means. A hero that is strong but slow can develop a method of facing against faster enemies just like how a hero that is sick, weak, and frail can overcome their own weaknesses and fears by showing that they can figure out a different way to overcome it.

If he was alone at home, he would hit himself. It was something that always helped him clear his mind, at least in regards to the two sets of personalities developed within him. It wasn't multiple personality disorder or anything like that, of course, he still knew who was real and who wasn't, but it was always confusing, switching between the two rapidly like this. It almost felt like Kaji-Sakura was a living, breathing person stuck within weak Anri, and it was fighting hard to get out. Sadly, this was in public, and instead, he would remain silent on the matter for a few moments, getting himself in order and to better gather up his thoughts. Suppress Kaji-Sakura, form a response, speak.

"Y-yeah, you're right, I need to shoulder this mainly. H-how do you overcome a fear, though?" He would begin, pausing for a few moments as he waited to hear Karumo's response or the awkward silence that would ensue if he didn't speak. "Would you consider yourself a hero?" He would ask the final question, not really expecting much from it. From what he heard in regards to lost friends, to how he spoke of the heroes Anri idolized, and he he addressed him with that kunai, it made the Genin wonder if the man truly held some sort of negative view of himself, whether that would be of desensitization or what, it was painfully obvious he had experienced things that he didn't wish to, or at least, that's how the young Kanetsu had seen it.

Wc 770

Twc 5445

Karumo

Karumo

D-rank
How to overcome a fear... it was such a unique question and yet so without definition. For one to just overcome something that so at their core caused them turmoil was no easy task. Karumo looked down for a second, crossing his hands and musing to himself as he thought it over, "Well, if I'm being honest..." he paused and brought his gaze back up to him with a softer glance but a straighter face, "I don't know if there's a set way, people are so different..." he let his gaze roll over the boy for a brief moment, thinking about how generic his own words just sounded. People are different. What sage advice from the Tsuchikage... if only his internal sarcasm and laughing were audible then perhaps it might make Anri feel a little better but he kept to himself. Letting the words pass over the boy for less than a moment before he spoke up again, "Sometimes, we don't actually overcome fear, we bury it. We turn it into an ally and use it for our own gain. Shinobi are often ghosts in action, we become fear as we fear others and perhaps it is there, behind our masks and in our jutsu that we can bury our feeling and pretend our causes are noble and just." he nodded along after his own words with a bit of an elaborated exhale thinking through his own words, knowing he hadn't really offered anything of substance outside a bit more melancholy.

The next question though, was more interesting, Was Karumo a hero? Karumo blinked for a second, he wanted to scoff at it, his initial thought equated to Absolutely Not! But that's not where he went, he knew image as Tsuchikage was important but he was never one to shy away from the truth, he exhaled quickly through his nose and gave a half smirk. "I've lost too many, let too many die, and killed too many in return to consider myself a hero of any sort. Maybe some individuals out there will see me as a hero, but that's their choice, I don't consider myself anything of the sort." he ended his response rather shortly but left it in the court of Anri to respond to if he wished, otherwise Karumo would chime in with his own short response, "I think a better question to ask is to wonder what you define as a hero yourself, before we go labeling anyone with the title."

He left it off, there wasn't really anything else he could add on to change the way his mind worked, he wondered what prodded at Anri's question in itself but maybe it would reveal itself in time. Otherwise, Karumo leaned back again with another puff of his cigar, the oaky scent filling his office even further than it had before, beginning to set itself stagnant in the air.

[494 words, 3603 words total]

Anri Mao

Anri Mao

D-rank
There was something one could appreciate about the honesty Karumo has been showing Anri during their talk today, and his answer to this question was no different. A regular person would probably say something motivational or optimistic, to try to feed into the idea that fear is just an illusion, something that can be easily conquered or controlled. But it doesn't take much to see that they're scared too, perhaps even more than most, as those same people give off the feeling that they're scared of their own failing, scared enough to nearly be in denial at the thought that they haven't overcome a flaw. Karumo, however, certainly wasn't normal. He responded truthfully, stating how people are so different, and as a result he doesn't know if there is a set way.

He would continue with his answer, continuing with the hard truth of how they don't actually overcome their fears sometimes, but instead bury it or turn it into an ally for personal gain. He would even state how some Shinobi are ghosts in action, becoming fear while fearing others, and the behind their masks and their jutsu are the buried feelings, guarded by causes that are often claimed to be noble and just. All the fourteen year old could do is nod thoughtfully at this, and while his sensei provided it as something that more or less could be a pessimistic point of view, Anri could see the information within. Usually you don't hear of the idea that a Shinobi buries their fears behind their own becoming it, so in theory, if it were true, then if there is a way to truly touch into the fear, then there's a means to end an altercation before it turns fatal. He would have to make a mental note to himself to look more into the idea down the road, to reflect and study it and see if the theory can truly work in practice.

What would be mods of reflection and understanding would turn into understanding nods accompanied by a bittersweet look on his face as he would listen to his Sensei mention how he had lost too many, allowed too many to die, and killed too many to consider himself a hero of any kind. Sure, some out there will see him as a hero, but in the end that's a choice of their own, and despite it, he still wouldn't consider himself anything of the sort. He would then speak on the question itself, responding with a better version of it in his eyes, where instead of asking if he considers himself one, he should instead wonder what he defines as a hero himself, before they go labeling anyone with the title.

After that, Anri would let the silence set in as Karumo himself returned to puffing that cigar of his. This silence would last only a few moments, as there is a reason why Anri doesn't reflect on the actual nature of heroes, of what makes someone one or what makes someone not one. In the end, the term is so fluid someone that merely desires to help others, to make a positive impact, can be seen as a hero, so specifying such a term is to rob some of the title while glorifying others, and in the end, glory is something that honestly shouldn't matter in a hero's life. No, he already had a vague idea of the road to become a hero, and he can already see more than one pair of feet planted upon that path. Offering a small smile to himself, Anri would stand up and begin to turn around. "Thank you for that Sensei, though I already considered it as we talked, and I think the first step to being a hero is to acknowledge and learn from the mistakes you made in the past." He would turn around and begin to leave, leaving the implication that he considered his Sensei walking that path of the hero that the Genin thought of, even if he didn't realize it.

Wc 692

Twc 6137

[attempt to exit thread]

TRAINING ALL STATS E to D-3: 6137/9625

Last edited by Anri Mao on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Karumo

Karumo

D-rank
Karumo returned to the puffing away of his cigar, letting the smoke fill his mouth and release an oaky scent up into the air with each exhale. A short silence followed after his answer to Anri, a short moment to pause and reflect on his words, search out what he found to be true and agreed with perhaps? It didn't last long, his response came first in the form of a smile as he stood and turned around to begin to make his exit. Karumo shifted upright into his seat and stood for his student, holding the cigar off to his right side between his pointer finger and thumb.

His words came in the form of a thanks, a shift in his demeanor, he seemed more confident and focused in his exit than during their conversation. He couldn't really anticipate him, throwing him for an unpredictable loop at the end, he now found himself wondering what had come over the boy. Maybe it was the loss of anxiety as he'd found his exit or were preparing to make it, and all the while, Karumo could call out and halt it! Maybe that would send the adrenaline pumping back up again, but no... that wasn't really worth it in any form. He'd gotten a good bit out of him for their initial meeting and with the squad, well, he'd have plenty of other chances to learn more and fill in the boy, and even pushing him along even further.

To acknowledge and learn from one's mistakes... it was an insightful answer for sure, Karumo smirked back in response initially, a light chuckle popped up as the by turned and began to make his official exit. Karumo spoke up as he'd be leaving, "I guess you're right..." he'd nod and sit back down at his desk, letting the door close and bringing the cigar back to his lips, puffing away at it again before ashing it on the ceramic tray at his desk. He was certainly an interesting boy, and with his bloodline trait, he had a lot of potential but so many obstacles to overcome early on. At least his ideals were sound, righteous even and planted with an altruistic foot. That was enough for Karumo, to consider him a worthy pupil with a bright future as a ninja.

[398 words, 4001 words total]
[Exit Thread]

Training:

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

Naruto and Naruto Shippuuden belong to © Masashi Kishimoto.